Re: Interbase vs Firebird ?

2007-05-22 12:08:39 AM
delphi236
To add to Arno's comments:
Firebird also has an embedded version that is very nice for single user
apps.
InterBase has a number of features that are helpful in installations
with larger user loads and larger databases including:
SMP support
Journaling
Journal archiving
Point in time recovery
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re: Interbase vs Firebird ?

On 21 Mai, 14:45, "Shane Holmes" <holmesshanea @ yahoo . com>writes:
Interbase vs Firebird ?

We currently use Interbase as are SQL database and are currently looking at
the Firebird database as an alternative solution.

Would like to hear from others on the Pros and Cons of making this move.

What are the benefits of using Firebird?

What are the main issues and concerns we will have to pay attention towhen
making the transition?

THanks

Shane
Hello,
For me, the most importent benefit was the ability of growing without
problems (TerraBytes) and the fact that it is free.
The book 'The Firebird Book' of Helen Borrie is a bible on Firebird
topics and is highly recommendable.
:)
Kai Inge

Re: Interbase vs Firebird ?

... which components would you recommend to use in Delphi for accessing
Firebird and do i need extra components at all?
We are currently using Foxpro/DBF but want (slowly) to convert our
programs to Delphi / Firebird.
Firebird because it is free which is important for the end price of our
product, also it seems to be a light weight product.
Main problem is not Delphi itself but to make the right decisions for
accessing the database (and to make the right decision for the right
database system).
Not having used Delphi for 10 years (since Delphi 1) it looks like a
big bill ;)
Michael

Re: Interbase vs Firebird ?

Michael Bickel writes:
... which components would you recommend to use in Delphi for
accessing Firebird and do i need extra components at all?
For Firebird, IBObjects is probably the best choice though there is also
FIBPlus and others.
You might also want to get opinions from people on the Firebird newsgroups.
--
Wayne Niddery - Winwright, Inc (www.winwright.ca)
"At the apex of every great tragedy of mankind there stands the figure

Re: Interbase vs Firebird ?

In addition to Wayne's comments, if you want the ability to easily
support other databases in the future you might consider using
dbExpress. There is a commercial Firebird driver for dbExpress
available from Upscene Productions.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re: Interbase vs Firebird ?

Thank you for all answers :)
What about ZeosLibrary - recommandable? or at least usable?
Michael

Re: Interbase vs Firebird ?

Michael Bickel writes:
Thank you for all answers :)

What about ZeosLibrary - recommandable? or at least usable?

Michael
I have never used it but if you search the newsgroup archives with
Google Groups you will find messages from those that have used it.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re: Interbase vs Firebird ?

Michael Bickel pretended :
Thank you for all answers :)

What about ZeosLibrary - recommandable? or at least usable?

Michael
usable yes recommandable no. It is after all LGPL licensed. This
license is OK to use in a DLL when you dynamic loading it. It is not OK
to use it with a library which compiles in your application or with
static linking.
I have stayed away from ZEOS for this reason. I'd recomend Mercury
Data Object from sourceforge which are a port of the IBX components.
sourceforge.net/projects/mdo
regards
Yannis.

Re: Interbase vs Firebird ?

Michael,
One thing not mentioned so far and that you may hear about is that,
since Firebird and Interbase have a common code ancestry, the IBX
components that come with Delphi work with older versions of Firebird.
The thing is that are not supported to work with Firebird and, as
Firebird grows to versions 2.x and 3.x and Interbase to 7.x and 8.x etc,
these components may not work with Firebird in the future, even as well
as they work now. So, if you are building a business, you need
something you can depend on for the future.
- Eduardo
Stop Continental Drift!
-- Anon
Eminent Domain Software
"Custom Software Development For Your Domain"
Makers of EDSSpell, EDSPrint, EDSZipCodes and
XSpell, the IDE Expert.
Michael Bickel writes:
... which components would you recommend to use in Delphi for accessing
Firebird and do i need extra components at all?

Re: Interbase vs Firebird ?

Thanks for all your answers,we will try all recommended ones and see
how we come along with it.
It's for business use, so it is important to choose the right one (or
the right combination of server/component), but we are not under
pressure, so we can take some time to test all your tipps.
Thanks again
Michael

yannis writes:
I have stayed away from ZEOS for this reason. I'd recomend Mercury
Data Object
MDO violates the IPL license. Namely they took the license off and relicensed
it which is not legal. They have been informed of it and have to date not
change the licensing back. In particular they have taken code that is 100% mine
and are representing it as they own work. Please do not recommended these
illegal components on the CodeGear's newsgroups since these components violate
CodeGear's copyrights.
--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
faceless watchers that stalk the carpeted corridors of Whitehall.

Re: Interbase vs Firebird ?

Jeff Overcash (TeamB) writes:
MDO violates the IPL license. Namely they took the license off and
relicensed it which is not legal.
Here is SourceForge's procedure for what to do when someone publishes
code they do not own:
sourceforge.net/docs/H10/en/
Please read and follow Borland's rules for the user of their
server: support.borland.com/entry.jspa

Re: Interbase vs Firebird ?

It happens that Jeff Overcash (TeamB) formulated :
MDO violates the IPL license.
[snip......]
Noted. Thank you for the info. I will stay away from them as well.
Regards
Yannis.

Re: Interbase vs Firebird ?

Thanks for all your answers,we will try all recommended ones and see
how we come along with it.
It's for business use, so it is important to choose the right one (or
the right combination of server/component), but we are not under
pressure, so we can take some time to test all your tipps.
Look also on UIB www.progdigy.com/
See www.firebirdsql.info/connection_layers.html for a list.
Regards,
Arno Brinkman
ABVisie
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
General database development support:
www.databasedevelopmentforum.com
Firebird open source database (based on IB-OE) with many SQL-99 features :
www.firebirdsql.org
www.firebirdsql.info
www.fingerbird.de/
www.comunidade-firebird.org/
Support list for Firebird and Interbase users :
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Nederlandse firebird nieuwsgroep :

Re: Interbase vs Firebird ?

Arno Brinkman writes:
See www.firebirdsql.info/connection_layers.html for a list.
Hi Arno,
I would just point out that the above list contains
the MDO components, which Jeff Overcash has said steal
IBX code. It might be an idea to remove it from the list?
Just a thought.
Paul...
Arno Brinkman