DNS servername instead of UNC path in alias

Hi,

There is the question again:

We are using D5 appl. wich are connected trough BDE 5.1 with an alias and
filepath.

Now we have installed a server, wich is invisible by normal exploring, the
server has only a DNS name and an IP number.

Can we connect to the database bij filling in the IP number or the DNS name
instead of the usual path used by the alias?

>>>We are using Dbf and paradox files to store data in...

In fact, we like to use a "invisible server" to store our data.

Can someone share his or here knowledge with me?

Dirk Rieuwers

Re:DNS servername instead of UNC path in alias

"ItMedical" wrote:

> Hi,

> There is the question again:

> We are using D5 appl. wich are connected trough BDE 5.1 with an alias and
> filepath.

> Now we have installed a server, wich is invisible by normal exploring, the
> server has only a DNS name and an IP number.

> Can we connect to the database bij filling in the IP number or the DNS name
> instead of the usual path used by the alias?

> In fact, we like to use a "invisible server" to store our data.

> Can someone share his or here knowledge with me?

> Dirk Rieuwers

For Paradox and DBase the BDE will require direct knowledge of and access to the
files on the server.  You can't make it invisible to the outside world without
doing something like a MIDAS server to act as a middle tier.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)   On waves of silver I dreamed of gold
(Please do not email    'Till I lost the peace that dreaming gives

Re:DNS servername instead of UNC path in alias

Hi:

Have you tried creating a Session Alias

Session.AddAlias(const Name, Driver:  String; List: TStrings) ;

and developing the PATH=<yourpath> on the fly, perhaps using the
Application.ExeName to determine the executable location and then
calculating a relative path based on that?  Remember that Session Aliases
are not persistent.

var
  prmLst: TStringList ;
  exePth: String;
  dstPth: String;

begin
  prmLst := TStringList.Create ;
  .
  .
  .
  exePth := ExtractFilePath(Application.ExeName) ;
  dstPth := ExpandFileName(exePth + 'DB\') ;
  .
  .
  .
  prmLst.Add('PATH='+dstPth) ;
  .
  .
  .
  Session.AddAlias('sesAlias', 'PARADOX', prmLst) ;
  .
  .
  .
  { clean up time }
  prmLst.Free ;
end;

DonWa

"ItMedical" <i...@itemedical.nl> wrote in message

> Hi,

> There is the question again:

> We are using D5 appl. wich are connected trough BDE 5.1 with an alias and
> filepath.

> Now we have installed a server, wich is invisible by normal exploring, the
> server has only a DNS name and an IP number.

> Can we connect to the database bij filling in the IP number or the DNS
name
> instead of the usual path used by the alias?

> In fact, we like to use a "invisible server" to store our data.

> Can someone share his or here knowledge with me?

> Dirk Rieuwers

Other Threads