Multiple Instances of IB Server - installing/config

I wish to run a copy of IB 6 and IB 7.51 (desktop). (To test migration
issues etc)
Can someone point me to a detailed "multi-instance" reference of how to go
about this - ie which to install first etc, how to configure, how to connect
to a specific server...
All I can find are vague and nebulous partial references...
Thanks.
--
Brent Rose
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re:Multiple Instances of IB Server - installing/config

Google borland.com. You will find
bdn.borland.com/borcon2004/article/0,1944,32211,00.html as well
as other references.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Multiple Instances of IB Server - installing/config

OK, thanks, I had seen this slide show - but still cannot get access to both
servers (for a start) in IBConsole.
Specifically:
I installed IB 6 using default gds_db to D:\InterBase60
I then installed IB 7.51 as gds_75 to D:\InterBase75
In the services file I have port entries:
gds_db 3050/tcp # InterBase 6.0 Server
gds_75 3060/tcp # InterBase 7.5 Server
Both servers report that they are "Running". In IBConsole (7.5.0.26), I can
connect to local server gds_db and an IB6 db OK. When I try to connect to
local server gds_75, I get:
Error logging into the requested server.
Cannot attach to services manager.
Not sure what is going wrong at this point...???
--

Brent Rose writes:
Error logging into the requested server.
Cannot attach to services manager.

Not sure what is going wrong at this point...???
Try using ISQL to ensure that you haven't hit an IBConsole bug. It's
possible that you have everything installed correctly already.
Want to help make Delphi and InterBase better? Use QC!
qc.borland.com -- Vote for important issues

Re:Multiple Instances of IB Server - installing/config

Make sure that when you registered the IB 7.5.1 server in IBConsole you
entered gds_75 as the Port Alias.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Multiple Instances of IB Server - installing/config

Yes - properties indicate Port Alias = gds_75
--
Brent Rose
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Brent Rose writes:
Yes - properties indicate Port Alias = gds_75
Have you tried connecting with isql as Craig suggested? I am able to
connect to my multi-instance install with IBConsole so I am not sure
what else to select at the moment.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Multiple Instances of IB Server - installing/config

After un-installing both IB versions and re-installing several times, I
discovered that by installing IB7.5 FIRST, then installing IB6.0, I can
successfully connect to both in IBConsole.... No idea what diference this
actually made, but it got the result...
Thanks.
--
Brent Rose