How to access/interface with a USB device

2005-04-13 08:38:57 PM
delphi10
Hi All
I need to interface my Delphi 7 app with a CanSecu (from TACOMA) fingerprint
scanner.
a) Do I have to write a device driver?
b) How do you identify the USB device and the Type of device, like Camera,
Flash, Fingerprint reader, etc
c) How do you interface with say a Fingerprint reader
Thanks
Anton

Re:How to access/interface with a USB device

You most likely need to get the SDK from the manufacturer.
I've worked with the BAC SecureTouch, BioLink U-Match, Digital Persona
U.are.U and Crossmatch V300. Out of these four fingerprint scanners, only
the Crossmatch does not require an SDK (it is TWAIN compliant).
So I would start at TACOMA's website, and look for someone to email about
acquiring/purchasing an SDK.
Kind Regards,
Brian
"ABF" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Hi All

I need to interface my Delphi 7 app with a CanSecu (from TACOMA)
fingerprint scanner.

a) Do I have to write a device driver?
b) How do you identify the USB device and the Type of device, like Camera,
Flash, Fingerprint reader, etc
c) How do you interface with say a Fingerprint reader

Thanks
Anton

Re:How to access/interface with a USB device

The other option is to do a google search on 'usb device + delphi'.
There's quite a few links on this subject (I just tried it).
--
Cheers,
Phillip Flores

Re:How to access/interface with a USB device

I have done that for the last 3 hours and found nothing worthwhile

ABF writes:
I have done that for the last 3 hours and found nothing worthwhile
What about the TJvHID component in the latest JVCL ?
It only works with HID devices, which I am not sure your fingerprint is.
But it might be worth a shot.

OBones writes:
What about the TJvHID component in the latest JVCL ?

It only works with HID devices, which I am not sure your fingerprint is.
But it might be worth a shot.
Probably not. There is no HID class for fingerprint devices.
As mentioned by Brian TWAIN aka still image would be a good (non-HID)
class to use.
It depends also on the purpose of the device. A device delivering
the scanned image differs very much from a security device which would
only hand out results like accepted/rejected/bad scan.

Re:How to access/interface with a USB device

Good point Robert,
the Crossmatch V300 (and V300 LC) only capture an image of the fingerprint.
the other three i had mentioned all also come with routines for if it was a
good image, and for matching, etc...
image output is almost an afterthought on those three - they are more for
"security" purposes - and the aspects of the image are not true to life on
some scanners so they don't produce an accurate representation of the actual
fingerprint, but are good for matching to other prints taken by the same
scanner.
"Robert Marquardt" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes