D9 and C#

2004-08-19 11:48:08 AM
delphi282
Hi,
Will D9 include C# as a language option???? (in the same IDE, same
product)
Regards,
Marcelo.
PS: Of course it can be only for .Net apps. For Win32, the old and good
Delphi will be welcome and enough!

Re:D9 and C#

"Marcelo Carvalho" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
??????:412422f8$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...

Will D9 include C# as a language option???? (in the same IDE, same
product)
Why c#? sharp what???
c# even cannot be compared with Java.
regards
ZJF

Re:D9 and C#

Marcelo Carvalho writes:

Will D9 include C# as a language option???? (in the same IDE, same
product)
What about GWBasic?
Don

Re:D9 and C#

"Marcelo Carvalho" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Will D9 include C# as a language option???? (in the same IDE, same
product)

Regards,

Marcelo.

PS: Of course it can be only for .Net apps. For Win32, the old and good
Delphi will be welcome and enough!
I like to post a random comment on C#.
Are they out of their {*word*30}ing mind adding another language ? Me looks up :)
What are we supposed to do with all those billions of lines of code in other
programming languages ?
Re-type them ?
Abandom them ?
So in short... I can not really understand why the dude left delphi.
Though on the other side I can understand it... sometimes starting something
new can look very attractive... since maybe he was done with delphi ;)
Though I think in the long run anything could have been implemented in
delphi... so I ll place my bets on Delphi out living C# any day ;)
Turbo Pascal, Borland Pascal, Delphi... that is 10 years of compiler
development and language develop... shame to abondom that ;) :D
There is no way in my fricking mind I am ever going to switch to something
else :D LOL.
Now to reply to your suggestion.
It would be handy running C# code in delphi simple to test code examples...
But the whole C# idea seems pretty {*word*30}ed up to me anyway :D
Such a drag having to convert C# examples to delphi.
But it is more of a drag converting all delphi code to C# only to see C# die
a couple of years from now :D
Or microsoft introducing yet another programming language... bleh. I rather
stick with delphi and have a more gentle mutation :P ;) :D
. <- they end :D

Re:D9 and C#

You can get it with Visual Studio, has been renamed though.
Maybe Borland could include Turbo Basic as easter egg?
Eric

Re:D9 and C#

Will D9 include C# as a language option????
That's the rumour (see www.bob42.com). Since the C# compiler is
part of the .Net framework, you can in fact already use it from Delphi
by setting up a custom item on the tools menu :-)
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Falafel Software www.falafelsoft.co.uk

Re:D9 and C#

Hi Jim and Craig,
It seems that some people didn't think it is serious... ;-)
Some rumors are between C++ and C#, but considering the .Net afinity,
C# would be the natural choice.
Probably it will not be possible to use two languages in the same
unit, but open in the IDE units in both languages at same time would be
great. Or at least let us to chose the language, from the same IDE, for
each project...
[][][][]
Marcelo.
Craig van Nieuwkerk writes:

>Will D9 include C# as a language option???? (in the same IDE, same
>product)

All indications so far are that this will be the case.

Re:D9 and C#

Marcelo Carvalho writes:
Probably it will not be possible to use two languages in the same
unit
I am pretty sure that would violate the grammar of both languages! (and
Borland/Microsoft only control the grammar of one each. Technically,
MS do not even control C# as it is an ISO standard, but in practice...)
However, while by no means a .NET expert, I see no technical reason
that you could not use multiple languages in a single assembly. Maybe
some practical reasons, I will leave that problem up to the implementors
<g>
AlisdairM(TeamB)

Re:D9 and C#

Alisdair Meredith (TeamB) writes:
However, while by no means a .NET expert, I see no technical reason
that you could not use multiple languages in a single assembly.
IIRC, managed C++ does this. You could also combine assemblies with
al.exe.
-Craig
How to ask questions the smart way:

Re:D9 and C#

Are they out of their {*word*30}ing mind adding another language ? Me looks up
:)
"But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart;
and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts,
{*word*190}s, {*word*62}eries, {*word*135}s, thefts, false witness, blasphemies"
Matthew 15:19
"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name
[Jesus Christ] under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
"Skybuck Flying" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

ZJF writes:
Why c#? sharp what???
c# even cannot be compared with Java.
LOL! Good one... Why would one ever want to use a platform that
supports multiple languages vs one that traditionally supported only a
single language? Yeah... Java's the future. Hey, and what's this silly
Mono thing!!! ;-)
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re:D9 and C#

Alisdair Meredith (TeamB) writes:
>Probably it will not be possible to use two languages in the same
unit

I am pretty sure that would violate the grammar of both languages! (and
Borland/Microsoft only control the grammar of one each. Technically,
MS do not even control C# as it is an ISO standard, but in practice...)
Actually it would be quite easy to embed C# in Delphi code. After all,
that's what you can do with assembly language at the moment in Win32
Delphi. So for them to add some keywords that would allow the necessary
"compiler magic" would probably be fairly easy. That said... I don't
think there is a real need for this. I, personally, would not use this
feature.
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re:D9 and C#

Kevin writes:
Actually it would be quite easy to embed C# in Delphi code. After
all, that is what you can do with assembly language at the moment in
Win32 Delphi. So for them to add some keywords that would allow the
necessary "compiler magic" would probably be fairly easy. That
said... I don't think there is a real need for this. I, personally,
would not use this feature.
Ah, but would that be C#, or Delpi-C#?
Does the C# grammar allow itself to be inserted into other langauges
like this? Or do you need to relax some C# rules about how to find
source as well?
I suspect this is the sort of issue language lawyers dwell on and
customers could care less about <g>
AlisdairM(TeamB)
(aspriring language-lawyer!)

Re:D9 and C#

Alisdair Meredith (TeamB) writes:
Ah, but would that be C#, or Delpi-C#?
True... probably wouldn't be 100% C#... those curly braces would pose a
problem for sure!!
Does the C# grammar allow itself to be inserted into other langauges
like this? Or do you need to relax some C# rules about how to find
source as well?
well, since assembly language was inserted like this:
asm
... assembly code ...
end;
C# could be inserted like this:
c#
... C# code ...
end;
The compiler could simply ignore all unusual syntax (e.g. curly braces)
until it hit the end; You would never have "end;" in C# code because
you need parentheses on all method calls.
Technically it should be possible. But as I have said I can not see the
need for it.....
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re:D9 and C#

Marcelo Carvalho writes:

Will D9 include C# as a language option???? (in the same IDE, same
product)

Yes.
We'll be showing just how closely integrated Delphi and C# code can be
in the new product at BorCon in San Jose in September.
-Danny
--
Delphi Compiler Core: homepages.borland.com/dthorpe/blog/delphi/