Re: Fastcode StrIComp B&V 1.1.0

"Dennis" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Hi

It is so nice that you non contributors and minor contributors knows
everything about the Fastcode project and can tell the inventer, former
manager, do all, webmaster and major contributors how to handle things.

I never claimed to know ANYTHING about Fastcode - what I stated was that we
developers, John included, have REAL jobs with REAL deadlines and can't
spend every minute checking the newsgroup looking for requests. And I
haven't told anybody how to do things; I just pointed out that John, as well
as the other contributors, has other priorities. I just think the way you
chastised John for being six hours "late" was childish and insulting.

Re: Fastcode StrIComp B&V 1.1.0

Hi Dave
>It is so nice that you non contributors and minor contributors knows
>everything about the Fastcode project and can tell the inventer, former
>manager, do all, webmaster and major contributors how to handle things.
I meant this in a general way - considering all your post here.
Why do you think you should participate in this NG. You have not made any
contributions except for creating a lot of bad spirit.
Do you have a kind of hidden agenda?
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re: Fastcode StrIComp B&V 1.1.0

"Dennis" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>But these deadlines are purely arbitrary, and missing them causes no
real
>problem - they aren't even tied to the release times of Delphi.

We have a competition with many nice prizes. This years competion is
running
in the year 2005 ! The year end at newyears eve at 00:00. Because the
<SNIP>
We have these 3 deadlines and it is impossible to run a competition
without
them. The most important one is the one for function submission. I believe
it is quite natural to define a year 2005 competion to end at the same
time
as the year 2005 !
I have no problem with that. John knows when the deadline is, if he doesn't
submit the functions in time, then he doesn't get included in the results.
However, if the deadline really is 00.00 on New Years eve, and the B&Vs take
so long to generate, why not wait till all submissions are in before
generating the B&V? Otherwise you are now setting an arbitrary deadline
which is two weeks before the real deadline. The results don't need to be
calculated before the first of the year - you just need to discount all
submissions received after 00.00 on New Years eve from this years
competition - the B&V could be written during the first week of 2006.
Do you argue that we should not have a competition? or do you even argue
that we do not have a competition this year? ;-)

I've never suggested anything of the sort. I am just suggesting that if the
deadline is December 31st at 12 midnight, then submissions should be
accepted until then. The results can come later.
I am personally looking forward to win the Delphi book by Marco Cantu ;-)

Good luck :)

Re: Fastcode StrIComp B&V 1.1.0

"Dennis" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Hi Dave

>But these deadlines are purely arbitrary, and missing them causes no
real
>problem - they aren't even tied to the release times of Delphi.

Why and how could/should we tie our deadlines to the Delphi release time?

You've missed my point here. If the deadlines "were" tied to the Delphi
release, then missing them would be a problem. But as you have no way of
knowing when Borland will release a new version, or when they will stop
taking submissions, etc., that makes the December 31 deadline purely
arbitrary.

Re: Fastcode StrIComp B&V 1.1.0

Hi Dave
I would normally have redone that B&V and then do every B&V as functions
come in. Then I'd do all B&V's one more time between 31/12 and 7/1. This
way there is a visible competition and we have fun trying to beat each
other.
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re: Fastcode StrIComp B&V 1.1.0

"Dennis" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

I meant this in a general way - considering all your post here.

Why do you think you should participate in this NG. You have not made any
contributions except for creating a lot of bad spirit.
I observe, I take in information, I follow this group and this project
because I have an interest in Delphi getting faster. If I didn't have to
work, and I could spend all of my days at home, I definitely would
contribute - but I have a very demanding job which doesn't give me time to
commit to a project.
However, when I see things that I don't agree with, I speak up. When I see
members who are giving their valuable time to help with this project being
chastised in a public forum, I will voice my displeasure. I am breaking no
Borland newsgroup rules, I am insulting nobody and I am attacking nobody -
TeamB do monitor this group, and they haven't cancelled any of my posts yet.
Do you have a kind of hidden agenda?
???? No! Unless you call wanting a faster Delphi an agenda.

Re: Fastcode StrIComp B&V 1.1.0

I would normally have redone that B&V and then do every B&V as functions
come in. Then I'd do all B&V's one more time between 31/12 and 7/1.
This
way there is a visible competition and we have fun trying to beat each
other.

OK, I can see the function in that ealier in the competition year. However,
this close to the deadline I'd just hold off till all submissions were
in.

Re: Fastcode StrIComp B&V 1.1.0

Hi Dave
It looks to me as you do not know who invented Fastcode.
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re: Fastcode StrIComp B&V 1.1.0

Hi Dave
OK, I can see the function in that ealier in the competition year.
However,
this close to the deadline I'd just hold off till all submissions were
in.
That would save work and take out the fun of the competition. I have always
prioritized work and fun and quality above lazyness.
Lately I have taken alot of abuse everytime I have shown dedication to the
project.
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re: Fastcode StrIComp B&V 1.1.0

Hi
It looks to me as you do not know who invented Fastcode.
I did and I have done nearly all the infrastructure work including website
management together with my wife.
It is not fun to recieve only critizism after having done all this work.
I was asked to help smoothe the transistion to the new management, but
everytime I have pointed out errors or asked the community to make some
decisions or do some work, then somebody with no Fastcode experience have
told me to go play somewhere else.
Before somebody took responsibility for creating a solid infrastructure to
coordinate, benchmark and validate all functions, there were created very
little Fastcode and none of it went into Delphi. I took nearly 3 years to
build up the Fastcode brand to a level where Borland trusts our quality
level enough to take all our work including the MM. It is not by pure
chance
that they accepted FastMM4. It was due to the very solid work of Pierre
combined with the Fastcodes reputation for testing, testing and testing.
We
should not forget the BucketMM either. It is very fast and solid too.
Regards
Dennis
Jeg beskyttes af den gratis SPAMfighter til privatbrugere.
Den har indtil videre sparet mig for at få 2167 spam-mails.
Betalende brugere får ikke denne besked i deres e-mails.
Hent gratis SPAMfighter her: www.spamfighter.dk

Re: Fastcode StrIComp B&V 1.1.0

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:47:10 +0100, "Dennis"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Now, now, Dennis, calm down!
Don't drive people away until we've converted them to the true faith
(Fastcoders).
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Re: Fastcode StrIComp B&V 1.1.0

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:36:01 +0100, "Dennis"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
everytime I have pointed out errors or asked the community to make some
decisions or do some work, then somebody with no Fastcode experience have
told me to go play somewhere else.
I don't think that is true, that is just 'selective memory' - we tend to
remember *some* things and forget others.
Honestly, I don't think the 'errors and omissions' are very important,
Fastcode infrastructure/driving force is.
General observations,
We are still a very loose 'organization', having been spoonfed and led
by the hand of Dennis C. during those previous years. We are spoiled -
Dennis took care of most all benchmarking, administrative jobs, hunting
for sponsors, kept on blowing life in the idea when the newsgroup became
silent, and so on...
The transition to a new organization is what should be on top of our
agenda, but it will take work and time. We must decide how we
should/could work together, share the responsibilities and work.
It has started, but as we don't have any 'interim dictator' things are
happening a bit unorganized. Perhaps it is time to go through the
different positions and assignments (again), make some schedules, select
a 'coordinator' and start acting like a real organization?
Until that is finalized, we shouldn't care so much about missing links
or turnaround time.
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm
Gallery: web.telia.com/~u16122508/gallery/index.htm

Re: Fastcode StrIComp B&V 1.1.0

Hi Anders
Good post.
I agree with you except for one thing
We should always be concerned about the state of the project and the
website.
I also agree with you that a new management is very important. I'd like
to see signs of a new organization getting into place. Nothing is really
happening.
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re: Fastcode StrIComp B&V 1.1.0

Hi Anders
Now, now, Dennis, calm down!
Yes but it is very hard when I am the target of attack and have no support
from the Fastcode core team.
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re: Fastcode StrIComp B&V 1.1.0

"Dennis" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Hi John

This is an issue betwen us only. I marked the rant as a rant because is
should be understood as nothing but a rant. Could you please speak up and
tell me whehter I was totally out of line here.

I have made 350 releases and this was the first time in those 3,3 years
that
I complained about a function being released just after I had finished a
B&V
release. I have been in this situation many many times before and just did
the release again.
I can see both sides of the argument.
In this particular case the 2 new functions were already written and were to
included in the next release I made. You did request that someone else take
over this challenge (26-Nov) so I did not know that you were working on
another release.
I do spend a lot of time of fastcode, but it does not pay the mortgage, so
my priority has to be my "real" job.
Dennis, you managed the project for 3 years, helped get fastcode recognised,
and the community became very dependant on your contribution. I think it is
unrealistic to expect it to continue in exactly the same way now that you
have stepped away.
There will be problems with the admin side of the project now, and we may
need to make some changes to the way challenges are run, but the project
will continue.
--
regards,
John