Re: Poll: Is it true that Delphi is dead ?

Luke writes:
Yeah! Tell it to the guys who use D5, Delphi 6 to develop Vista native
applications. And tell them they no longer can!
I am using Delphi 6 and recently ran into problems with Web Services and
Windows 2003 which has been fixed in later Delphi versions. There are
definitely good reasons to upgrade sometimes.
Cheers
Dean

Re: Poll: Is it true that Delphi is dead ?

Felipe writes:
It makes no sense to implement unicode for win64 and not for win32.
I agree.
win32 -->win64 needs only changes on the compiler and some minimal
portability changes to VCL. Doesn´t interfere with unicode work at all.
Who knows, but that is an implementation detail that I am happy to pay
CodeGear to handle for me. :)
They already promissed win64 and unicode, but I´ve never read anything
about Delphi supporting mixed mode compiler. Where did you read that? I
don´t think this is on the roadmap.
Borland/CodeGear haven't committed to a mixed mode compiler....yet :)
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

Re: Poll: Is it true that Delphi is dead ?

roman modic writes:
so, for me, Delphi is far from being dead !
On .NET it looks like Delphi will have even more ground to make up. Are
you saying that Delphi is far from being dead because .NET development
options are too numerous/confusing? ;)
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

Re: Poll: Is it true that Delphi is dead ?

Well I think it is all baloney. The main reason
that Delphi is in such sorry state is because
of years it is utter neglect from Borland. I think
that there is still chance to restore it is reputation
but it needs REAL commitment instead of spending
efforts in 10 different directions. I'd agree
with one thing though. It is utterly stupid that
having full blown C/C++ parser/compiler technology
Borland failed to create automatic importer/exporter
for at least C headers.

Kostya writes:
Well I think it is all baloney. The main reason
that Delphi is in such sorry state is because
of years it is utter neglect from Borland. I think
that there is still chance to restore it is reputation
but it needs REAL commitment instead of spending
efforts in 10 different directions.
In general, I agree with you.
I do agree with Jake, that C based languages have the potential to be
more popular/mainstream, but Delphi is what it is. I believe that
CodeGear should dance with the girl they took to the prom.
I would agree
with one thing though. It is utterly stupid that
having full blown C/C++ parser/compiler technology
Borland failed to create automatic importer/exporter
for at least C headers.
Who knows about that, but I'd recommend CodeGear exiting the C++
compiler business altogether (not IDE/Tools, there is a difference).
Unfortunately VCL for C++ Builder necessitates the continued development
of their C++ compiler.
They are behind MS VC++ and GCC is widely used for cross platform
development; I am not certain there is any real room for them in the
field of C++ compiler development to leverage a long term significant
competitive advantage.
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

Re: Poll: Is it true that Delphi is dead ?

John Jacobson writes:
The best thing they could do in this regard is probably to make their
developer studio able to use any compiler, whether it is GCC, VC++.
I agree, which is why for the C++ developer I thought CBX was a good
idea strategically, but suffered from horrible implementation. For
those interested, you can read my thoughts regarding CBX (and more) here:
www.brainendeavor.com/tw/tiki-view_blog_post.php
or even
old versions of the Delphi and C++Builder compilers.
Eh, I know you're big on this idea, but I much prefer buying components
with source code. ;)
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

Re: Poll: Is it true that Delphi is dead ?

The best thing they could do in this regard is probably to make their
developer studio able to use any compiler, whether it is GCC, VC++.
Duh. I wonder how GCC compiler would treat ideas of properties
for example. Delphi was (may be still is) a unique product
and it is language was designed to support demands of IDE.
So improve it instead of spreading too thin. If they
spend efforts on it supporting every compiler then they
would do nothing but fighting bugs/incompatibilities
And personally, Jake you are always mentioning your
knowledge of C++ so why don't you buy bullet
and find better paying job using this asset.
Some of my programmers friends did just that
and are now earning much better money.
The only reason I use Delphi now is
that I always develop products as a single
piece and Delphi helps me cut some corners
and lower the expenses. If I was looking
for employment I would rather use C++.
In mini ISV market there is nothing that beats
Delphi but unfortunately Borland let it
stagnate to the point when it is failing
to support many things that are IMHO
mandatory so I am looking to alternatives
unless CG manages to fix what Borland has
ruined

Re: Poll: Is it true that Delphi is dead ?

Borland C++ has been{*word*154} on by the skin of its teeth
since version 5.02, only enjoying updates to keep it compatible
with Delphi's VCL. Since then, they have been falling off the
map as far as standards compliance went. The C++ toolchain
is highly neglected.
It didn't even ship with an export makefile tool.
I don't think it can import Visual C++ projects anymore (probably
due to it not being able to handle standard-compliant code anymore,
since MS has left Borland in the dust in that area).
It shipped with BDS2006 as a technology preview.
And you're asking for more?
- Nate.
"Kostya" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
[...]

It would be easy to do what they need to do with C++Builder.
Rename it to CodeGear C++
Drop support for C++Builder VCL
Ressurect the ObjectWindows Library (OWLNext is going strong)
Support Microsoft Foundation Classes
Make the compiler standard compliant
Update compiler to target more recent processor types
64-Bit Support
Mixxed Mode C++ Compiler (C++/CLI a'la Visual C++, RAD for .NET a'la
Visual C++)
Carry on smartly...
The only thing VCL did to Borland C++ was turn it into a Delphi-tag-along.
- Nate.

Re: Poll: Is it true that Delphi is dead ?

Eh, I know you're big on this idea, but I much prefer buying components
with source code. ;)
It doesn't have everything to do with components :)
C++Builder 5 was a much better/stable/robust toolset than C++Builder 6,
for example.
C++ code is more sensetive to compiler/language implementation changes
than Delphi code (such as using older versions of STL/etc.).
Also, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
I know people who still use Borland C++ 5.02 to maintain applications
because moving it to later versions of the compiler provide little, if any,
benefit. They also like working in a "coder's IDE" and not the MSPAINT
incarnation of Borland C++ that seems to digress coders in an attempt to
promote VCL development.
The project manager in C++Builder sucks too, but I digress that. it is a
bit better in BDS2006. Still horrible, though.
- Nate.

Re: Poll: Is it true that Delphi is dead ?

Is Turbo Prolog dead?
- Nate.
"Lord Crc" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 19:25:14 +0100, "Ole Willy Tuv" <owtuv at online
dot no>writes:

>Is Delphi finally dead, as predicted for quite some time, or is it life
>left
>in the old champ ?

Nope, the true sign that Delphi is dead is that nobody is around to
post such "polls".

- Asbjørn

Re: Poll: Is it true that Delphi is dead ?

"Kostya" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
And personally, Jake you are always mentioning your
knowledge of C++ so why don't you buy bullet
and find better paying job using this asset.
I have applied to, and been presented by headhunters to, quite a number of
C++ employers recently, and will continue to do so. I can count on the index
finger of two hands the number of Delphi positions to which I have applied.
There are plenty of nearly ideal C++ jobs and quite a few in my target
market (Chicago Loop financial sector), that is not the issue. In fact I look
forward to returning to the C-based syntax, like returning home.
The issue in this thread is whether or not Delphi is dead. I like Delphi,
but I think it is silly to question whether or not it is dead, right now. It
is. It is time for everyone to admit that, and then figure out how they are
going to deal with or address that fact.
My continued existence in these newsgroups is a result of my continued
interest in Delphi, whether or not I use it to earn an income.

Nathaniel L. Walker writes:
It would be easy to do what they need to do with C++Builder.
[...]
The only thing VCL did to Borland C++ was turn it into a Delphi-tag-along.
Oddly enough, I agree that kind of C++ product would be more appealing
to me. Again, see my blog entry about what I'd have liked to see
from a CBX-type product.
But the issue with C++Builder is if they can get suitable ROI. If they
can, and the opportunity cost to do so is low, then I think it is a good
idea.
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

Re: Poll: Is it true that Delphi is dead ?

Ole Willy Tuv writes:
- Win32 at the end of its life-cycle.
- Aged VCL library.
- The owner failed to sell it.

Is Delphi finally dead, as predicted for quite some time, or is it
life left in the old champ ?

Ole Willy Tuv
How novel. I haven't seen a "Delphi is dead" post in a while. :)
Not dead. Not even close. In fact, I think the code name for the next
version should be "Twain".
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

John Jacobson writes:
The issue in this thread is whether or not Delphi is dead. I like
Delphi, but I think it is silly to question whether or not it is
dead, right now. It is. It is time for everyone to admit that, and
then figure out how they are going to deal with or address that fact.
You still have to decide on our outstanding bet.
And we might have the basis for another one.
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee