Retain CORBA, or...?

2006-06-08 08:08:33 AM
delphi66
I'm rewriting an app written in Borland C++ 5 (will rewrite in Delphi).
Other things besides the language may change, too. It currently uses CORBA.
I've never used CORBA before.
Does anybody have any recommendation to retain it or lose it? If the latter,
what would you recommend in its place?
We are using MS SQL Server as the DB. It is a multi-tier conglomeration of
apps that is comprised of an app server, the DB, several clients which run a
subset of the data that is pulled over, and a real time piece.
If I should stick with CORBA, is there an online tutorial or something for
it?
--
Be the first one on your block to read the uproariously hilarious novel "the
Zany Time Travels of Warble McGorkle" (Book 2 in a trilogy). Download it

Re:Retain CORBA, or...?

Does anybody have any recommendation to retain it or lose it? If the latter,
what would you recommend in its place?

It depends. Who talks to your CORBA server?
If you're the only one that talks to your CORBA server, then you have
the option
of replacing it with something else.
We are using MS SQL Server as the DB. It is a multi-tier conglomeration of
apps that is comprised of an app server, the DB, several clients which run a
subset of the data that is pulled over, and a real time piece.

Sounds like you might be better off with a Win32 DataSnap app.
--
Anders Ohlsson - blogs.borland.com/ao/
Borland Developer Tools Group ("DevCo")

Re:Retain CORBA, or...?

Blackbird Crow Raven writes:
I'm rewriting an app written in Borland C++ 5 (will rewrite in Delphi).

Other things besides the language may change, too. It currently uses
CORBA. I have never used CORBA before.

Does anybody have any recommendation to retain it or lose it? If the
latter, what would you recommend in its place?

Anders answered the question more or less in a complete manner. Basically,
if you are the only one who needs to use the Corba Objects, then Corba is
overkill. However, if others are using the Corba objects (outside of your
application or outside of Delphi), then you may need to continue to support
the Corba model.
Corba is basically a kind of *COM* for the non MS world. It allows RPC for
programming languages and platforms, without specific languages and/or
platforms. It uses a Type Library and Stubs/Skelletons for remote
operations. Usually, Corba is written in C/C++ or Java, but this certainly
not a requirement (any language or platform that support the IIOP specs can
be Corba compliant).
If the CORBA objects are running on a non MS platform, you will not be able
to switch coding of these Objects to Delphi, since Delphi only supports
Windows.
Web Services have pretty much taken over the general use for the need of
Corba. However, some operations will still require Corba type operations,
especially those that need native access or are memory intensive.
Answer these basic questions and the need to continue with Corba or not is
answered. Corba is not necessarily hard to do, but it is not for the novice
programmer either.