Re: Open Letter to Borland: Declaration of Delphi Dependence

2004-08-10 03:26:14 AM
delphi80
J O Holloway in <4116927a$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
I say, let's get over the formatting issue, ok? What about the
meaning of the message?
I think the message is primarily driven by timing.
MS talks about what they're planning to do years in advance. Borland
works on things, then talks about what people will see coming in a
month or two.
To people who primarily track news and press releases, it will appear
that Borland is following MS. To those who actually keep an accurate
score, they'll find the Borland frequently releases features before MS
does.
In summary, right now, because of the trumpeting of what MS is GOING to
release some time in the distant future, everyone is worried about what
Borland hasn't yet released.
As I have said on these newsgroups since 1997, I (and all of DevRel)
continue to campaign for a public product roadmap for all Borland
products, so our customers can know what we are working on and
planning, and can rest assured that they can continue to rely on
Borland to lead the software development industry.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
BorCon2004, all info in one place! info.borland.com/conf2004

Re: Open Letter to Borland: Declaration of Delphi Dependence

Holger Flick writes:
This happened in Dortmund, Germany from the beginning! Pascal is never
considered for teaching because students or the university would have
to acquire licences for that. It was Beta at first and now it is Java.
I had to learn Java in 1999 and that made me buy D5. So, why does it
harm Borland? :-)

During the night course I took from CNAM in Bordeaux, Ada was the
choice. Well, we had a little Pascal and some C (yes, C), as well.
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux (EU)

Re: Open Letter to Borland: Declaration of Delphi Dependence

1980's Free Pascal? Object oriented? Furthermore, was there Free Pascal
with OOP in 1998?
Khen Chzakuv writes:
Holger Flick writes:

>This happened in Dortmund, Germany from the beginning! Pascal is
>never considered for teaching because students or the university
>would have to acquire licences for that.

Eh? Who needs a license to use Free Pascal?

Re: Open Letter to Borland: Declaration of Delphi Dependence

MS talks about what they're planning to do years in advance. Borland
works on things, then talks about what people will see coming in a
month or two.
It is called PR. And might be there is actual luck of it from Borland and
DevRel.
I think it is a good thing to have some whispers before product is out,
might be even have early presentations and articles about forecomming
product (Delphi 9).
You might choose to give something from a dev. plans basket or from
"currently implemented in current beta".
It is better to have some information instead of no information.
Does Borland afraid to scare people out before product is out?
To people who primarily track news and press releases, it will appear
that Borland is following MS. To those who actually keep an accurate
score, they'll find the Borland frequently releases features before MS
does.
Yes, but Borland has luck of advertising these features, so even MS
implement it after Borland, luck of information does leverage advantage of
earlier implementation.
In summary, right now, because of the trumpeting of what MS is GOING to
release some time in the distant future, everyone is worried about what
Borland hasn't yet released.
Does people have a choice or alternative. MS provide PR information. Borland
provide us with past history. Because of this things are in a way they are,
I think.
As I have said on these newsgroups since 1997, I (and all of DevRel)
continue to campaign for a public product roadmap for all Borland
products, so our customers can know what we are working on and
planning, and can rest assured that they can continue to rely on
Borland to lead the software development industry.
And everybody here are happy to see anything similar to your recent post on
BDN. I know what you have to be careful what information to release, but
please release it.

Harold Howe [TeamB] writes:
Captain Jake writes:
>blogs.slcdug.org/jjacobson/archive/2004/08/07/429.aspx

Bob Kozak left some time ago. Did you by chance mean Robert West?

H^2
Ok you brought me out of hiding. First off I hate the name Bob. For
some insane reason my mom and dad thought it was a good name. Ugh. I've
gone by Robert (its on my birth certificate) since i was 15.
I have permitted some individuals to call me Bobby but there are all
female and have kissed me at one point. You don't qualify on either of
these points :-)
I arrived at Borland in Oct of 1999 and left Jan 2002. During my time
there I worked on a cpuple of utilities for C++ Builder 5, Kylix 1 and
2, and Delphi 6 and 7. I didn't do alot for Delphi 7 but I did fix that
stupid bug where the tool tips show up as separate windows in the task
list. Unfortuantetly I am still using Delphi 6 in my current job because I
can't justify the cost of replacing components that we bought. (Thats
my official reason and the rumor that I am staying with Delphi 6 because it
is the last version with my Name in the about box is completely false.)
I did work on a couple of research projects that never did take off
(like a new layout mechanism using automatic and user defined
guidelines for the form designer. I really liked the idea I wish i had
time to finish it.)
-- Robert Kozak

Brion L. Webster writes:
Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:

>Harold Howe [TeamB] writes:
>>
>>Bob Kozak left some time ago. Did you by chance mean Robert
>>West?
>
>More important, he arrived there only around D5 time IIRC and
>wasn't there very long.

Oh, but he made such an impression. I am still partially color
blind after meeting him in person... <g>

-Brion
HAHA. If I show up to this years conference I will try not to disappoint.
I just dyed my hair blond so Im sure I will shock a few people. My friend
had to take 3 or 4 days to get used to it :-)
On a personal note: I remember someone had taken a picture of me in my
red plaid sports coat. I remember it used to be on the web but i cant
find it anymore. Does anyone have a copy of that picture?
-- Robert Kozak

Robert Kozak writes:
Brion L. Webster writes:

>Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
>
>>Harold Howe [TeamB] writes:
>>>
>>>Bob Kozak left some time ago. Did you by chance mean Robert
>>>West?
>>
>>More important, he arrived there only around D5 time IIRC and
>>wasn't there very long.
>
>Oh, but he made such an impression. I am still partially color
>blind after meeting him in person... <g>
>
>-Brion

HAHA. If I show up to this years conference I will try not to
disappoint.

I just dyed my hair blond so Im sure I will shock a few people. My
friend had to take 3 or 4 days to get used to it :-)

On a personal note: I remember someone had taken a picture of me in my
red plaid sports coat. I remember it used to be on the web but i cant
find it anymore. Does anyone have a copy of that picture?

-- Robert Kozak
Um that should read friends and not just friend. I just wanted to point
out im not that lame. :-)
-- Robert Kozak

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
MS talks about what they're planning to do years in advance. Borland
works on things, then talks about what people will see coming in a
month or two.

To people who primarily track news and press releases, it will appear
that Borland is following MS. To those who actually keep an accurate
score, they'll find the Borland frequently releases features before MS
does.
They'll also find that MS gets lots of public feedback much earlier in the development
cycle, when changes can easily be made.

Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft) writes:
I think it is a good thing to have some whispers before product is
out,
Folks at Borland would speak to this more authoritatively than I can,
but I have to wonder if roadmaps and presentations too early have a
negative impact on purchases for the existing product.
Consider all those folks who are holding out 'til Delphi 9. I would
imagine this can really hurt cash flow. We small companies really feel
this so I can not imagine it is any different for larger orgs.
--
Xavier Pacheco
President, Consultant

Robert Kozak writes:
I just wanted to point out im not that lame. :-)
Whatever you say Robert. Tons of friends, yup.
<g>
-- x
--
Xavier Pacheco
President, Consultant
Author - Delphi for .NET Developer's Guide
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672324431/

Re: Open Letter to Borland: Declaration of Delphi Dependence

In retrospect, at least for me, the funniest part of this thread was when I
said,
"Pay attention to Jake's message. it is true, and as an example, my
Delphi job is gone at the end of this month 'cause the company went to
J2EE."
and I got responses form TeamB-ers and Borlandites like,
"Stop being so hostile and aggressive. Throttle it down, anger-boy."
I'm paraphrasing quite loosely, so please, don't anyone bother posting the
actual quotes :)
Personally, I hope Delphi becomes the most popular software tool in the US,
and that one day I get the chance to work in it again. Until then, best
regards to all my fellow Delphinians.

Robert Kozak writes:
Bobby but there are all female and have kissed me at one point
Mom and aunt ruth? <gd&r>
--
Xavier Pacheco
President, Consultant

Xavier Pacheco writes:
Folks at Borland would speak to this more authoritatively than I can,
but I have to wonder if roadmaps and presentations too early have a
negative impact on purchases for the existing product.
20th Century thinking, IMO.
How many sales are lost because potential customers don't have a clue
where things are headed?
In addition, the good deal that Software Assurance is mitigates this
concern to a very large degree.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Robert Kozak writes:
HAHA. If I show up to this years conference I will try not to
disappoint.
I can remember a couple of dragons, maybe a spider man...and the
day you announced on the newsgroups you'd left the frozen north for
the wet wet west.
I just dyed my hair blond so Im sure I will shock a few people. My
friend had to take 3 or 4 days to get used to it :-)
Blonde? Or Arctic White?
On a personal note: I remember someone had taken a picture of me
in my red plaid sports coat. I remember it used to be on the web
but i cant find it anymore. Does anyone have a copy of that
picture?
I didn't think there were enough colors in a 32-bit palette to
display that picture...
Enough teasing - it was a pleasure meeting you, and being
distinctive did make it easier to find you in the crowd. Not a bad
thing with 3,000 of us milling around.
-Brion

Re: Open Letter to Borland: Declaration of Delphi Dependence

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" wrote

20th Century thinking, IMO.
Well, going by the BTDT rule of thumb, I _have_ delayed softgware purchases
waiting for the next version, so I can not dismiss the dampening effect as
entirely marketing folklore--I think balancing between future buzz and
current sale is a legitimate issue.
However, ...
How many sales are lost because potential customers don't have a clue
where things are headed?
In both big business and small, those road maps are important for laying out
the cash. We started asking vendors about their .NET plans some time
ago--not be cause we need them now, but because we want to be assured that
they're not in spoin down mode. A clearly stated and well-presented roadmap
tells you you're not dealing with a dead product.
In addition, the good deal that Software Assurance is mitigates this
concern to a very large degree.
Only if people know about it, unfortunately. Borland needs to get serious
about making this much more prominant. Impossible to miss and easy to buy.
It's practically hidden on shop.borland.com, and not played up in the
product pages at all.
bobD