Game inventory Screen Needed

Hi, I am Adrian.
I am now trying to make an online game. All of it is going well, but I am having trouble making an inventory screen where the character can pickup, store and drop items like weapons, potions, etc. Should I use a drawgrid, or what. If anyone has an example of this, could you please send it to me, at XXXX@XXXXX.COM. Thanks

Re:Game inventory Screen Needed

This guy is indeed interesting, isn't he?
First an operating system(!?!), now an online game... peers,
what do you think?
Andrew

Andrea Raimondi writes:
First an operating system(!?!), now an online game... peers,
what do you think?
I think it is good he lowered his ambitions from an entire OS to just an
online game. ;)
Will
--
Want native support in Delphi for AMD64/EM64T? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
I think it is good he lowered his ambitions from an entire OS to just an
online game. ;)
LMAO!
Will
Andrew

Will DeWitt Jr. <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
I think it is good he lowered his ambitions from an entire OS to just
an online game. ;)

Will
LOL! I think we should wait a couple of days and MastApp will be
more than enough (we can give that in exchange of an "ERP" System) ;)
--
Have you seen Marillion's Marbles? Visit www.marillion.com and get in
touch with the most amazing music...

Andrea Raimondi writes:
This guy is indeed interesting, isn't he?

First an operating system(!?!), now an online game... peers,
what do you think?

Andrew
Sounds like a nice breath of fresh air to me. Whether it is blind
ambition, or simply youthful exuberance. It Think it is great to see.
Jumping off the deep end can be a great way to learn. (maybe not OS
deep mind you).
I say go for it Adrian! (I don't have an answer for your question though!)
But look at it! The glass is half *full!*
--
Robin.
<disclaimer>Not an expert </disclaimer>

Re:Game inventory Screen Needed

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 18:34:47 -0300, damian marquez writes:
Damian, Andrea, Will,
Please watch your posting. There is no need to put people down on this
group.
--
Marc Rohloff [TeamB]
marc rohloff -at- myrealbox -dot- com

Marc Rohloff [TeamB] writes:
Please watch your posting. There is no need to put people down on this
group.
Sorry Marc, I apologize, but you see... someone asking how to
make an O.S. which then posts again like he did couldn't go unnoticed.
Actually, I never said anything irrespectful, I just wondered(as it's
apparent from my first post).
I don't think there was the willingness to put anyone down,
come on, we've seen(read and written) worse things on here :-)
Cheers,
Andrew

Re:Game inventory Screen Needed

Marc Rohloff [TeamB] writes:
There are many good sites about programming games in Delphi:
In particular, this community is quite active:
www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/
Please read and follow Borland's rules for the user of their
server: support.borland.com/entry.jspa

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:28:11 +0200, Andrea Raimondi writes:
Sorry Marc, I apologize, but you see... someone asking how to
make an O.S. which then posts again like he did couldn't go unnoticed.
How do you think he felt when he read your response. How would you
think?
--

"Andrea Raimondi" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Marc Rohloff [TeamB] writes:
>Please watch your posting. There is no need to put people down on this
>group.

Sorry Marc, I apologize, but you see... someone asking how to
make an O.S. which then posts again like he did couldn't go unnoticed.

Actually, I never said anything irrespectful, I just wondered(as it's
apparent from my first post).

I don't think there was the willingness to put anyone down,
come on, we've seen(read and written) worse things on here :-)
Well, keep in mind we could you use more young people in the community. The
only young person participating in these ngs, that I can think of in
particular, is Nicholoas Sherlock, who must be around 16 or 17 yrs old by
now. And if you read his questions he is becoming an outstanding developer,
in no small part because of the help and fellowship he has got here.
You will get some youngsters, with more ambition and ideas and enthusiasm
then skill; and I would rather start with that, then a more "conservative" and
timid individual, willing to be led around by the nose and told what and
what not to do. Yes, the latter type may also become a dull and
un-exceptional software developer, but the former may well have the "fire in
the belly" that makes for an exceptional developer.
But that is just me...
So back to the point. These types of questions indicate a NEW programmer
and I am guessing a youngster as well. I see nothing wrong with
*correcting* the post and pointing out its deficiencies, but I suggest doing
it in a sober fashion. And just in case the poster is a youngster, doing it
in a kindly and gentle fashion might also be a good idea.
There are absolute idiots on this forum that rightly deserve ostracism
(instead of mascot status). But a youngster dreaming of writing his own OS
or his own on-line game, isn't one of them.
-d
--
Fastcode Project: www.fastcodeproject.org/

Dennis Landi writes:
So back to the point. These types of questions indicate a NEW
programmer and I am guessing a youngster as well. I see nothing
wrong with *correcting* the post and pointing out its deficiencies,
but I suggest doing it in a sober fashion. And just in case the
poster is a youngster, doing it in a kindly and gentle fashion might
also be a good idea.
I dont disagree, however, it can be exceedingly infuriating to get
someone come up to you with a
"Ive done absolutely nothing to achieve this, do it for me"
its different if they came up to you with a huge mess of worms with a
tear in the eye and said "I cant make it work"
There are a lot of books on delphi, which are fairly cheap, the
principals even in the d3/4/5 books still stand, its just some areas
have been superceeded.
However, for this guy, some drag and drop examples (from the helpfile)
should be enough to get him going, however, chances are he didnt look
there, and as yet, I havent seen anyone point him there.
--
Liz the Brit

Re:Game inventory Screen Needed

"Liz" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
There are a lot of books on delphi, which are fairly cheap, the
principals even in the d3/4/5 books still stand, its just some areas
have been superceeded.

However, for this guy, some drag and drop examples (from the helpfile)
should be enough to get him going, however, chances are he didnt look
there, and as yet, I havent seen anyone point him there.
But just in case he's a youngster (and from the kind of questions I am
guessing he is) I would say "he does'nt know any better". So, we can bruise his
ego so badly on his first day, that he just goes away, or we can handle it
some other way...
-d

Marc Rohloff [TeamB]" <"on request <"on request">writes:
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 18:34:47 -0300, damian marquez writes:

Damian, Andrea, Will,
Please watch your posting. There is no need to put people down on this
group.
You're right Marc, sorry. I let myself go. *However* ...
...let's not be naive. I agree with Liz. I *still* remember when I was
a student and I remember guys who wanted to get out with it just by letting
the
others do their job (poor little me, I did all their english task;) ).
It's QUITE different from those who come and say, "wow, I have seen an .EXE
in a directory, I have double clicked it and a nice lot of windows came up.
Want
to do the same... Help me?". I have HELPED A LOT of them. I have got the degree
for one of them who worked for me, and now I have just finished the
programming
task for another of my companions, and I don't even have a degree myself.
But
I love honesty: "Hey buddy, can you write me a little program which does
this
or that?" Come on!". Enough for me.
So... again, our attitude was wrong, but the kid is trying to get away with
it.
First an operating system, then a game. The right thing to do would have
been
"Kid, please tell us what the assignment is and we can send you some source
that
is good for you".
It is probable that he ain't even interested in learning Delphi just get the
"A"
in his exam. And that is not bad either.
--

damian marquez <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
You're right Marc, sorry. I let myself go. *However* ...

...let's not be naive. I agree with Liz. I *still* remember when I was
a student and I remember guys who wanted to get out with it just by
letting the
others do their job (poor little me, I did all their english task;) ).
Bah perhaps I am overreacting. The kid seems to have tried now.
Good luck to him then ;)