Re: A separate newsgroup forum for FastCode discussion?

2006-08-24 09:03:52 PM
delphi176
"Johnnie Norsworthy" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
... Since the code is all text, why couldn't it just be posted
to the newsgroup with a special subject line describing the
contents?
These NGs have a purge of messages over 6-months or so.
Also, I'd think that you would want a digital checksum,
hash or digest attached to the code so that you could verify
that you were seeing an unaltered version.

John Herbster writes:
Also, I'd think that you would want a digital checksum,
hash or digest attached to the code so that you could verify
that you were seeing an unaltered version.
THAT makes a lot of sense to me. Very good suggestion.
--

Re: A separate newsgroup forum for FastCode discussion?

Hi
I agree.
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re: A separate newsgroup forum for FastCode discussion?

Hi
IMO it is a good idea for decluttering. Browsing for BASM sepcific q&a
is currently made very difficult. If someone post inappropriate
questions in the FastCode group, they should be informed to post to
BASM instead - just like is currently done on all other groups.
Yes
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re: A separate newsgroup forum for FastCode discussion?

Hi
I've made several posts over the past few weeks about access to current
FastCode revisons. Never received a reply to a single post. <sigh>
Which is very bad. See Fastcode libraries thread and continue discussion
about libraries there.
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re: A separate newsgroup forum for FastCode discussion?

Hi
I would very much prefer that we have a NG on the Borland servers. Just
separating BASM and Fastcode NG's seems a logical change to me.
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re: A separate newsgroup forum for FastCode discussion?

Dennis,
| Which is very bad. See Fastcode libraries thread and continue
| discussion about libraries there.
I did.
Thank you!
08/25/2006 11:44:00
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Re: A separate newsgroup forum for FastCode discussion?

Dennis,
| I'd very much prefer that we have a NG on the Borland servers.
| Just separating BASM and Fastcode NG's seems a logical change to me.
YES!!! <g>
08/25/2006 11:44:43
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Re: A separate newsgroup forum for FastCode discussion?

John Herbster writes:
Do we need separate newsgroup for FastCode discussion?
(Maybe it could replace one of the hundred or so forums
that are completly empty.)
--JohnH

The general rule for new groups to be split off is that the average posts of the
new group is at least 20 per day (which a fast code group would meet) and that
the leftover group also still gets roughly 20 a day (which the BASM would not).
This group currently does not qualify for what is needed to split the group
into 2 or more groups. BASM was actually looked at a couple of years ago for
removal due to lack of traffic, only the fastcode traffic has kept this group
around.
--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build

Re: A separate newsgroup forum for FastCode discussion?

Hi
Thanks for the explanation.
How good we have Fastcode then ;-) It would be a real pity not to have a
BASM group.
Best regards
Dennis Kjaer Christensen

Re: A separate newsgroup forum for FastCode discussion?

"Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
... BASM was actually looked at a couple of years ago for removal due to
lack of traffic, only the fastcode traffic has
kept this group around.
That makes me ask the obvious question: What has kept the
100 or so groups around that have not had a post in months.
--JohnH (Jeff, I expect that you expected me to ask this.)

John Herbster writes:
"Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
>... BASM was actually looked at a couple of years ago for removal due to
>lack of traffic, only the fastcode traffic has
kept this group around.

That makes me ask the obvious question: What has kept the
100 or so groups around that have not had a post in months.
--JohnH (Jeff, I expect that you expected me to ask this.)
We are actually looking at what needs consolidating right now. John Frazer just
asked for statistics on all the groups like last post, average posts etc.
Typically this is done every 18 months or so.
--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build
a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act
alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for
insects. (RAH)

Re: A separate newsgroup forum for FastCode discussion?

"Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
The general rule for new groups to be split off is that the
average posts of the new group is at least 20 per day
(which a fast code group would meet) and that the leftover
group also still gets roughly 20 a day (which the BASM
would not).
My quick (and possibly erroneous) count this morning shows
that of the 363 groups only about 4% get more than 20 posts
per day.
31% have not had a post in the past 6 months.
50% get less than a post every 20 days.
77% get less than a post per day.
95% get less than 10 posts per day.
--JohnH

Re: A separate newsgroup forum for FastCode discussion?

"Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
The general rule for new groups to be split off is that
the average posts of the new group is at least 20 per day
(which a fast code group would meet) and that the leftover
group also still gets roughly 20 a day (which the BASM
would not).
Whereas of the 363 groups about
4% get more than 20 posts per day.
31% have not had a post in the past 6 months.
50% get less than a post every 20 days.
77% get less than a post per day.
95% get less than 10 posts per day.
I am guessing that the 20 per day is too high a cutoff.
I think that the cutoff number should be based on
(a) the cost of maintaining a newsgroup;
(b) the users' convenience in posting finding useful
questions and information;
(c) the cost in making changes; and of course
(d) the howling of the users.
However, rather that doing a definitive cost-benefit
analysis, may I suggest a cutoff of 10 posts per six
months. That seems rather small, yet it would
eliminate about half of the present groups (assuming
that you continue to eliminate SPAM messages).
Respectfully yours, JohnH
PS: Don't forget about the algorithms group that
JK has promised (more than once).