Version Control Software

2003-08-26 03:46:04 AM
delphi139
Hello-
We are using Delphi 6.0 Enterprise for our applications. We are looking to
implement a stricter version control solution at our organization.
We have a few basic requirements.
1) We need to see the differences between different versions, and track
changes made / features added to different versions. For example, if our
clients begin getting bugs in their system due to a release that was put out
on Monday, we want to know what changes took place in the code over the last
week or last time we sent them an executable.
2) We need to track the name of the programmer that made the changes.
3) We have a number of clients that are on an 'upgrade' plan with us,
whereby they would get all features/modifications made to our software
without additional cost to them. For these clients, we would want to send
them an .exe which was upto date, (the current version) with all new
features/modifications. However, we are trying to provide only 'bug fixes'
to other clients which are not on an 'upgrade' plan with us. Therefore they
should receive a compiled solution, which does not include new
features/modifications... It should only include bug fixes. We would like
to track this by putting 'version numbers' next to each change, and all bug
fixes would have a very low version number (ex. 1) while all features would
have a 'new' version number. Based on the version number that the client
has, they would get all changes which are earlier than their version number.
If you have another method to provide this service I'd be interested in
it.
We would appreciate if anyone can suggest us version control software that
can facilitate our requirements.
Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Bhavya Dhulia
www.reliablegroup.com

Re:Version Control Software

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:46:04 -0400, "Bhavya Dhulia" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
writes:
We are using Delphi 6.0 Enterprise for our applications. We are looking to
implement a stricter version control solution at our organization.
This really isn't an IDE-related question. If you're looking for a
product with Delphi integration, try the b.p.d.thirdpartytools.general
group. If you're just looking for general advice, try the
.non-technical group.
---
Yorai Aminov (TeamB)
develop.shorterpath.com/yorai

Re:Version Control Software

Hi Folks,
I am looking for version control software for Delphi 7. Ease of use and
price are important over every bell and whistle. Any recommendations would
be appreciated. Thanks Bob

Re:Version Control Software

"BobM" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Hi Folks,

I am looking for version control software for Delphi 7. Ease of use and
price are important over every bell and whistle. Any recommendations would
be appreciated. Thanks Bob
Is this for business use, personal use, small team, big team?? For some
personal projects at home, I am just using WinCVS with TortoiseCVS and
writing to a file-based repository on a large USB drive on my system. Worked
OK so far, but I haven't had to go back and get too many previous versions,
etc.
If cost is an issue, CVS or Subversion seem popular. There are various
products either built into, or available with, some of the development
environments.

Re:Version Control Software

I am looking for version control software for Delphi 7. Ease of use and
price are important over every bell and whistle. Any recommendations would
be appreciated. Thanks Bob

maybe JEDI Version Control System (JVCS) could be worth a try
- Open Source (MPL1.1)
- DB driven with support of several DBMS (Firebird, Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL,
DBISAM)
- fully integrated into Borland IDEs
- Standalone GUI Client
- Comand line client for automation
- ideal for developer teams from 1 to 15 developers
- easy to understand and use
- project, module history
- labels and partly branching
- complete help file
HTH
Thomas

Re:Version Control Software

BobM,
| I am looking for version control software for Delphi 7. Ease of use
| and price are important over every bell and whistle. Any
| recommendations would be appreciated.
I've used AccuRev for several years. (Not integrated into the IDE.)
www.accurev.com/
I understand they now have a free license for personal use. (I paid for
the Pro version for five years. This year they gave me a free license
for the Enterprise edition.) It has "saved my bacon several times. <g>)
Even though it is team oriented I am a lupus unus developer. Which may
seem like over-kill. But it has been absolutely solid for me.
03/10/2007 09:41:21
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Re:Version Control Software

Check out the threads on SubVersion around here. With TortoiseSVN you are
sorted.
/Matthew Jones/

Re:Version Control Software

I recently tried it out and it it works fine for me. I am a single
developer and was looking for something beyond just zipping up each
version. I am still getting the hand of it, but JediVCS is worth a look.
- Lou
Thomas Huber writes:
>I am looking for version control software for Delphi 7. Ease of use and
>price are important over every bell and whistle. Any recommendations would
>be appreciated. Thanks Bob

maybe JEDI Version Control System (JVCS) could be worth a try
- Open Source (MPL1.1)
- DB driven with support of several DBMS (Firebird, Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL,
DBISAM)
- fully integrated into Borland IDEs
- Standalone GUI Client
- Comand line client for automation
- ideal for developer teams from 1 to 15 developers
- easy to understand and use
- project, module history
- labels and partly branching
- complete help file

Re:Version Control Software

WinCVS server plus Tortoise CVS client =>cool
And if you upgrade to BDS (soon to be called RAD Studio) then you can plug
in the JCL CVS client add-in directly into the IDE =>cooler
PS they are all free too...

Re:Version Control Software

I rely upon Team Coherence - it has saved me many times!!!
www.teamcoherence.com/
-Raymond
BobM writes:
Hi Folks,

I am looking for version control software for Delphi 7. Ease of use and
price are important over every bell and whistle. Any recommendations would
be appreciated. Thanks Bob

Re:Version Control Software

Is this for business use, personal use, small team, big team?? For some
personal projects at home, <
This will be for a business of 3-4 developers. The problem as you can
imagine is all the merging we have to do and trying to remember which units
each of us worked in. Will this type of software help with this problem?
Thanks
Bob
"Warrick Wilson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
"BobM" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>Hi Folks,
>
>I am looking for version control software for Delphi 7. Ease of use and
>price are important over every bell and whistle. Any recommendations
>would be appreciated. Thanks Bob

Is this for business use, personal use, small team, big team?? For some
personal projects at home, I am just using WinCVS with TortoiseCVS and
writing to a file-based repository on a large USB drive on my system.
Worked OK so far, but I haven't had to go back and get too many previous
versions, etc.

If cost is an issue, CVS or Subversion seem popular. There are various
products either built into, or available with, some of the development
environments.

Re:Version Control Software

Absolutely. SVN handles the merge just fine and lets you know when a
unit has been modified, added, or deleted.

Re:Version Control Software

SVN<
Is SVN the same as subversion? Thanks Bob
"OBones" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

BobM writes:
>SVN<
Is SVN the same as subversion? Thanks Bob
Yes, absolutely. it is just that typing subversion takes longer <g>

Re:Version Control Software

Raymond,
This one looks interesting. Are you using it with multiple developers? Was
there a steep learning curve?
Thanks Bob
"Raymond Schappe" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes