Re: Borland, Let Delphi Live !

2003-10-24 10:08:37 PM
delphi191
"M. Utku ALTINKAYA" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I was talking to my boss he have started talking seriously to move from
Borland development tools to MS ones.Our current project may be last one.
We have moved to Visual Studio.Net for all future products. Delphi 6 remains
for existing product lines, but agree with Borland. .Net is the way to go
for future development. Unfortunately we couldn't wait indefinitely to make
our move. We got a copy of Borland C# and Visual Studio. Sorry, but for the
first time, M$ was a superior product. We made our decision and moved
forward.
Please - before anyone starts making excuses to wait based on their own
situation, I will remind you that we often hear from the same people on how
Borland knows their business the best and don't need our suggestions. The
same applies the other way as well.

Re: Borland, Let Delphi Live !

Borland isn't going anywhere and neither is .Net programming. But
win32 API products have been mostly abandon. I don't believe we
will see another update of any kind. So far, by Borland's actions,
they have shown us this. Where is the core Delphi 7 update? VCL in
Delphi 8 is in maintenance mode (and yes they say it isn't, but
until a SP is released for Delphi 7 I will look at Borland's actions
more) I will assume their promise for a later update in Delphi 8 for
the VCL is completely negotiable by Borland's management.
Releasing an SP for core Delphi 7 would make all this talk go away.
Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
M. Utku ALTINKAYA writes:

>I was talking to my boss he have started talking seriously to move
>from Borland development tools to MS ones.Our current project may be
>last one. I am a engineering student also. At my school teachers are
>recommending us to abandon Borland products. 2 years ago no one had
>doubts about leadership of borland in developent tool creation.
>Borland is loosing altitude.

Sadly, for at least a decade alleged "experts" have been crying out "Abandon
hope all ye who enter here". Delphi wasn't supposed to last a year, it's
almost 9 now, Borland was supposed to be long gone - several times, they are
still here and are pretty healthy.

--
Thomas Miller
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software

Re: Borland, Let Delphi Live !

Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
[snip ...]
and you are out of topic.
regards
johnnie

Re: Borland, Let Delphi Live !

M. Utku ALTINKAYA writes:
>What you say is funny in that it isn't true. You might want to
>download the Delphi for .NET preview if you don't care to take my
>word on it.
Where is the preview?

Re: Borland, Let Delphi Live !

"Blake McNeill" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
3f988296$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
(ever tried to wrap your
head around the VS C++ object model)
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that the first time I
started "Visual" C++ the only thing I was presented with was a text
editor...
Cheers,
Ignacio

Re: Borland, Let Delphi Live !

M. Utku ALTINKAYA writes:
Borland will kill delphi. ... Delphi will die.
Yawn......

Re: Borland, Let Delphi Live !

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. vertexsoftware.com]>
writes news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Clément Doss writes:

>Who's Boland? ;-)

Borland. Frank Borland:

community.borland.com/article/0,1410,20283,00.html

Why does he look like a '49er from the California GoldRush?

Re: Borland, Let Delphi Live !

It seems to me Borland is planning a pure .NET language without anything
about delphi(VCL) but OOB.
And praying to save the community of delphi to stay for the conditioned
reasons.
Actually its not staying its moving to new language just for OOB.
Octane's is using VS IDE. Everything seems funny to me.
"M. Utku ALTINKAYA" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Boland will kill delphi. If VCL goes. Sehow me a real reason to not to
prefer C# to delphi.
I am suggesting them to make it open source, if they are unable to afford
redevelopment of delphi.
We can create a better delphi. Rewrite VCL. Redesign IDE even Redesign
Compiler.
Delphi will die. We delphi community will die sooner or later too. Set
delphi free. You don't have anything to loose.
Maybe this is a non-sense scream of a poor one of delphi's lovers... I am
really sad, maybe funny, but really sad...

Re: Borland, Let Delphi Live !

M. Utku ALTINKAYA writes:
It seems to me Borland is planning a pure .NET language without
anything about delphi(VCL) but OOB.
Do you mean OOP?
Borland has stated that Delphi for .NET will compile most existing
Delphi code, so I don't see why non-OOP code would be excluded.
Certainly, the Delphi for .NET preview compiler that you can already
use today will accept such code.
Octane's is using VS IDE.
No, it isn't.
Everything seems funny to me.
What you say is funny in that it isn't true. You might want to
download the Delphi for .NET preview if you don't care to take my word
on it.
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
InterBase Performance Monitor -- Analyze and control your IB7
server: delphi.weblogs.com/IBPerformanceMonitor

Re: Borland, Let Delphi Live !

It seems to me Borland is planning a pure .NET language without anything
about delphi(VCL) but OOB.
Delphi for .NET will include VCL for .NET... Look at the preview
compiler several of the VCL units are already present.
Robert Love

Re: Borland, Let Delphi Live !

yes.
M. Utku ALTINKAYA writes:

>It seems to me Borland is planning a pure .NET language without
>anything about delphi(VCL) but OOB.

Do you mean OOP?

Borland has stated that Delphi for .NET will compile most existing
Delphi code, so I don't see why non-OOP code would be excluded.
Certainly, the Delphi for .NET preview compiler that you can already
use today will accept such code.

>Octane's is using VS IDE.

No, it isn't.

>Everything seems funny to me.

What you say is funny in that it isn't true. You might want to
download the Delphi for .NET preview if you don't care to take my word
on it.

-Craig

Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
InterBase Performance Monitor -- Analyze and control your IB7
server: delphi.weblogs.com/IBPerformanceMonitor

Re: Borland, Let Delphi Live !

"Andrew Rybenkov" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
A-ha! not necessary nitpicking! OK

>The publication has been delayed.
>Canceled and
>delayed have entirely different meanings.
>It has not been canceled.

Was the Open Letter (as was announced) published on 17th October?
No, it was delayed and not presented on the 17th like
originally planned. This delay has been announced and
explained in the newsgroups.
No. John K. was on his work place till midnight (12pm of the day), waiting
possibility to fulfil the announcement and publish the letter exactly on 17th,
even 1-2 mins before 18th, but, unfortunately, in vain.

Correct, but it was not canceled. It was delayed. If
something is canceled it will not be forth coming, if something
is delayed it will be forthcoming, but at a time later than
expected.
As _an_ Open Letter it was delayed, but as _the_ "17th October" OL it was
canceled.

Now, agree? ;)
No I do not agree that the Oct 17th letter was canceled. That
letter exists and will be published at a later time. It has
only been delayed. Stating that it was canceled implies that
it is not rescheduled unless you explicately add on that it was
reschedule which you failed to do. This totally corrupts the reality
of what happened and paints things in a much more negative
light than really happened.

Re: Borland, Let Delphi Live !

"Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

No I do not agree that the Oct 17th letter was canceled. That
letter exists and will be published at a later time.
Well, putting a cynical spin on it, the Oct 17th letter was cancelled and
will never be seen.
What will be seen is a new version of said letter after it has been filtered
through the cesspool that can only be created by lawyers.
Mike
(feeling particularly peckish today)

Re: Borland, Let Delphi Live !

FakeName2 writes:
Where is the preview?
D7 Delphi Developers site.
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
Useful articles about InterBase and Delphi development:
delphi.weblogs.com/articles

Re: Borland, Let Delphi Live !

FakeName2 writes:
M. Utku ALTINKAYA writes:

>>What you say is funny in that it isn't true. You might want to
>>download the Delphi for .NET preview if you don't care to take my
>>word on it.

Where is the preview?
You can download the newest version from the Borland site if you are a
registered Delphi 7 user.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense."