Re: Just random fixes with QC reports...

2005-05-30 07:35:15 PM
delphi61
At 06:30:20, 30.05.2005, Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:

>Don't. Brings bad luck. <g>

In that case, break a le^H^H tooth. <g>
I didn't break one yet, today. <vbg>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,

Re: Just random fixes with QC reports...

At 12:18:34, 30.05.2005, Ingvar Nilsen writes:
And using an expression like "pet bug" is degrading IMO.
It degrades the bug, perhaps. Otherwise, there is nothing degrading about
it.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees

Re: Just random fixes with QC reports...

At 02:05:12, 30.05.2005, somebody writes:
Problem with "only fix the highest voted 100 bugs till next version" or
similar approaches is that some very easy to fix bugs or annoyances will
never get fixed
Perhaps Borland can assess better what is easy to fix than you can. Look
at the excellent example Leonel gave.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour.

Re: Just random fixes with QC reports...

At 08:52:55, 30.05.2005, Atle Smelvær writes:
Other problem is that few of the whole community do vote on QC, and
even fewer goes through most reports. So only advertised bugreports get
votes.
Votes give Borland an indication about the importance, but they are not
the only criterium for the decision whether it will be fixed or not.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"It is time I stepped aside for a less experienced and less able man."

At 12:00:36, 30.05.2005, Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
Atle Smelvfr writes:

>For customers upgrading, this means mutch less than
>quality.

I don't think so. I think new features is the major factor for an
upgrading customer.
I'm pretty sure that a version which would only fix bugs would not sell
very well. People would start complaining about having to pay for bug
fixes. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"I'm always amazed to hear of air crash victims so badly mutilated

Re: Just random fixes with QC reports...

At 09:03:35, 30.05.2005, Atle Smelvær writes:
What makes you able to estimate how mutch time it would take Borland to
clean up the known bugs.
I guess Nick can estimate that from what he knows about previous
releases, and from the fact that he actually knows the people who fix
these bugs, and communicates with them.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"It is time I stepped aside for a less experienced and less able man."
- Professor Scott Elledge on his retirement from Cornell

Re: Just random fixes with QC reports...

At 09:08:10, 30.05.2005, Atle Smelvær writes:
You know, I only notice interal reports of the "closed" kind.
Yeah, well, if they were public, they would not be internal. At least,
Borland now publishes them after they have been fixed. Instead of being
glad about that, you see it as the reason for a complaint?
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"In America, anybody can be president. that is one of the risks you take."

Re: Just random fixes with QC reports...

At 09:09:46, 30.05.2005, Atle Smelvær writes:
As long as you use it here, you should use normal numbers. You cannot
base your judgements on crazy numbers.
These numbers don't sound crazy at all. A bug fix which takes 100 hours
is not crazy. It might be unusual, but very well possible.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"Opportunities multiply as they are seized." -- Sun Tzu

Re: Just random fixes with QC reports...

At 14:59:27, 30.05.2005, Ingvar Nilsen writes:
In my ears it sounds degrading calling someone's problem a pet, menaning
that you take care of it and nurse it like a pet.
Fortunately, yours are not the only ears around. It is not degrading.
Note that the problem is not called a pet, it is called a "pet problem".
We have had this dicussion before, but "pet" is an adjective in this
context, and means "favourite".
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"Talent does what it can; genius does what it must."

Re: Just random fixes with QC reports...

"Wayne Niddery [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
Leonel writes:
>We'd be waiting
>for Delphi 7 now if they had that policy.
If it were mandatory to fix every bug before a new version could be
shipped,
they would never have got to D7, they'd have gone under long before that.
There has to be a balance - which is why bugs have to be priortized, so
that
the ones judged most important can be fixed, but still allow a new product
version to be developed and released soon enough to sustain needed
revenue.

Demanding that such a balance be tilted too much in *either* direction can
spell doom. All of us want bugs fixed, but we also want there to be a next
version.
Usually, though, the balance is already tilted towards rushing versions.
Just look at D2005. In the end, it is a lot more work and wasted resources
for Borland to rush versions and then have to rush SPs as well. And while it
may help fill the bank at first, it leaves a bitter impression on the
customers.

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
At 12:18:34, 30.05.2005, Ingvar Nilsen writes:

>And using an expression like "pet bug" is degrading IMO.

It degrades the bug, perhaps. Otherwise, there is nothing degrading
about it.
In my ears it sounds degrading calling someone's problem a pet, menaning
that you take care of it and nurse it like a pet.
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: Just random fixes with QC reports...

"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

I'm pretty sure that a version which would only fix bugs would not sell
very well. People would start complaining about having to pay for bug
fixes. <g>

In my case I want both! Both upgrades and bug fixes. I am greedy!
Thankfully, after update 3, I actually CAN use D2005 for my production stuff
and right now I really am enjoying it :)
It kinda grows on you the more you use it.
Tom.

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
At 14:59:27, 30.05.2005, Ingvar Nilsen writes:

>In my ears it sounds degrading calling someone's problem a pet,
>menaning that you take care of it and nurse it like a pet.

Fortunately, yours are not the only ears around.
Works both ways! My ears count as much as your ears.
It is not degrading.
In my ears, it is.
Note that the problem is not called a pet, it is called a "pet
problem".
No difference.
We have had this dicussion before, but "pet" is an adjective in this
context, and means "favourite".
Which is also degrading because a problem cannot be called someone's
favourite unless you do it in a sarcastic way.
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: Just random fixes with QC reports...

On Mon, 30 May 2005 14:05:29 +0200, "Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
At 14:59:27, 30.05.2005, Ingvar Nilsen writes:

>In my ears it sounds degrading calling someone's problem a pet, menaning
>that you take care of it and nurse it like a pet.

Fortunately, yours are not the only ears around.
But his ears *exist* as well as yours (and mine).
It is not degrading.
Actually, it is, for some people. There's no way you can decide what
other people feel when hearing an expression. You can only talk for
yourself, not for Ingvar, me or anyone else.
We have had this dicussion before, but "pet" is an adjective in this
context, and means "favourite".
I don't have any 'favourite' bugs - they are all disfavours to me!
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Re: Just random fixes with QC reports...

On Mon, 30 May 2005 13:49:52 +0200, "Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
At 02:05:12, 30.05.2005, somebody writes:

>Problem with "only fix the highest voted 100 bugs till next version" or
>similar approaches is that some very easy to fix bugs or annoyances will
>never get fixed

Perhaps Borland can assess better what is easy to fix than you can.
Actually, as a company, Borland shouldn't care about what's 'easy to
fix', they should care about 'what do we fix to get the most money out
of our work?', or maybe 'what do we fix to get the most money out of our
work, while still keeping/extending our sales?'