Re: Does anyone use .NET applications?

2005-04-14 10:38:33 AM
delphi69
"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I like and use FeedDemon, but easily my number on complaint is the need
to use a combo box to switch between Channels. ComboBoxes should be
avoided like the plague.
I see a ListBox, not a combobox. I don't know why anyone would want to
avoid Listboxes.
Anyway, what about:
* Ctrl G: next group
* ctrl J: next channel
* shift ctrl J: next unread channel
While (if <g>) I have your attention, I subscribe to a few codeFez feeds.
I see no posts this year other than a couple from marc Hoffman. Is there
a problem ?
regards
Barry Mossman

Re: Does anyone use .NET applications?

paladin writes:
could you enlghten us about comboboxes?
why should we avoid them?
what alternatives to use?
I don't like them as a UI device. They require way too many clicks to
select an item. Sometimes you have to click on the little dropdown
box, scroll the thumb scroller, find the thing you want, and then click
on it.
They should be replaced with a radiogroup for smaller lists, or a
listbox for longer lists.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
I don't like them as a UI device. They require way too many clicks to
select an item. Sometimes you have to click on the little dropdown
box, scroll the thumb scroller, find the thing you want, and then
click on it.

They should be replaced with a radiogroup for smaller lists, or a
listbox for longer lists.
Swings and roundabouts. Listboxes can take up too much real-estate.
Depending on the length of the list, you may still need to scroll to
find what you want, then click on it. One less click: big deal.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re: Does anyone use .NET applications?

I don't like them as a UI device. They require way too many clicks to
select an item. Sometimes you have to click on the little dropdown
box, scroll the thumb scroller, find the thing you want, and then click
on it.

They should be replaced with a radiogroup for smaller lists, or a
listbox for longer lists.
Let's be fare. It is not important to write performant applications
so why do we need fast clicking? That drop down thingy
is OOP and well encapsulated;)
Kostya

Barry Mossman writes:

>I see a ListBox, not a combobox.

I have a combobox at the top left of my FeedDemon. Don't you?
maybe just is just an issue of a rose by another name.
You can not type into the control I see, so I don't think of it as a
combobox.
I think of it as a drop down list. ..maybe this isn't it is generally
accepted name .. ?
Is FeedDemon v1.11.03. ... I really like it.
No comment about news feed from CodeFez .. ? is it WAD ?
regards
barry mossman

Barry Mossman writes:
I see a ListBox, not a combobox.
I have a combobox at the top left of my FeedDemon. Don't you?
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com
Read my Blog -- www.lemanix.com/nick

Re: Does anyone use .NET applications?

I don't like them as a UI device. They require way too many clicks to
select an item. Sometimes you have to click on the little dropdown
box, scroll the thumb scroller, find the thing you want, and then click
on it.

They should be replaced with a radiogroup for smaller lists, or a
listbox for longer lists.
I don't like long lists, period, but using combos lets you show the
settings in a clean, easy to read way, while still giving you the
ability to change those settings.
Especially when you don't often change the settings, I think
legibility is more important than click count.
--
www.midnightbeach.com

Re: Does anyone use .NET applications?

You can not type into the control I see, so I don't think of it as a
combobox.

It is still considered a combo box.
I think of it as a drop down list. ..maybe this isn't it is generally
accepted name .. ?
I sometimes might call it a drop down list of talking to a user, but to a
developer I call it a combo.
Craig
--
Get Folio First - www.h3k.biz

Re: Does anyone use .NET applications?

Bryce K. Nielsen writes:
Seeing the many "advantages to using .NET" threads, I was wondering
if
anyone is actually using any .NET applications? Are any of the apps
you use
written in .NET and which ones?

I'm going through my list of applications, and asside from the
"plugins" in
VS.NET and BDS 2005, I can not think of any. Not sure what that means,
but an
interesting observation...

-BKN
The apps that I use that I *know* use .NET are RSS Bandit and NASA
World Wind. I also have SharpReader, Paint.NET (not far enough along
to be heavily used), and QuakeII.NET (the .NET version of the Quake II
game), but I don't use them regularly.

Re: Does anyone use .NET applications?

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>No comment about news feed from CodeFez .. ? is it WAD ?

I'm afraid I don't have any idea. Each author has his own RSS Feed.
Perhaps you subscribed to that.
I subscribed to the "C#" feed:
www.codefez.com/DesktopModules/DnnForge%20-%20NewsArticles/Rss.aspx
also the .NET one:
www.codefez.com/DesktopModules/DnnForge%20-%20NewsArticles/Rss.aspx
Marc's post come through on that one.
also Delphi, Modeling & Algorithms
Marc had another one come through on the delphi one.
His two are the only ones that have come through this year.
No big deal. I just thought that you would like to know.
regards
barry Mossman

Re: Does anyone use .NET applications?

Look at ACT! - www.act.com - the new version is completely re written in MS
.NET :). I used the trial version, it is awfully slow compared to it is older
win 32 version...
cheers
NB
"Bryce K. Nielsen" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Barry Mossman writes:

No comment about news feed from CodeFez .. ? is it WAD ?
I'm afraid I don't have any idea. Each author has his own RSS Feed.
Perhaps you subscribed to that.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com
Read my Blog -- www.lemanix.com/nick

Re: Does anyone use .NET applications?

I believe that the latest ATI control panel uses .net.
...and there seems to be no end to the complaints of it
eating up all RAM over time.
Eric

Re: Does anyone use .NET applications?

[...] I used the trial version, it is awfully slow compared to it is older
win 32 version...
Win32 version, which according to the occasionnal {*word*75}ing of
own commercial peeps, doesn't seem to be exactly lightning fast.
Eric

Re: Does anyone use .NET applications?

[...] Are any of the apps you use written in .NET and which ones?
None besides dev tools.
Eric