MicroOlap PostgresDAC crazy price increases

2008-05-29 09:04:11 PM
delphi110
A year ago, I bought PostgresDAC from MicroOlap and paid roughly $24.00
(US)for a single user license with full source code.
Now my subscription is up for renewal and it seems they've revamped
their pricing structure into 3 tiers and applied a massive increase to
prices. Here's the breakdown showing full-price/renewal-price
Personal (no business use at all)
134.95 / 80.95
Business (internal company use only)
299.95 / 179.95
Commercial (May resell products using PgDAC)
399.95 / 239.95
This is just crazy. My cost has just jumped 10x what I paid only a
year ago.
I don't mind paying a fair price for a good product, but both the price
and the increase from a year ago seem excessive.
--
Kevin Powick

Re:MicroOlap PostgresDAC crazy price increases

I had to bite the bullet, but yes it was very surprising the increases I
saw. Don't know if it is because of the devaluation of the US$.
Johann.
"Kevin Powick" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Kevin Powick schrieb:
A year ago, I bought PostgresDAC from MicroOlap and paid roughly $24.00
(US)for a single user license with full source code.
Could it be that this was only a promotion-price? AFAIK their normal
price (for DAC for MySQL) where nearly as high as the new price of the
PostgresDAC.
If you don't want to spend such high price, I think ZEOS support PostgreSQL.

Re:MicroOlap PostgresDAC crazy price increases

"Kevin Powick" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
A year ago, I bought PostgresDAC from MicroOlap and paid roughly $24.00
(US)for a single user license with full source code.
Are you sure? Try and check out
web.archive.org/web/*/www.microolap.com/
There are no prices even close to $24. I can see prices from $80-$100 for
your product.

>A year ago, I bought PostgresDAC from MicroOlap and paid roughly
>$24.00 (US)for a single user license with full source code.

Are you sure?
Positive. I have my Share-IT receipt in front of me, dated 29 May 2007.
--

Uffe Kousgaard writes:
Are you sure? Try and check out
web.archive.org/web/*/www.microolap.com/

There are no prices even close to $24. I can see prices from $80-$100
for your product.
You are correct. Perhaps it was a special they were running at the
time that gave me the price I have a receipt for?
However, it does not change the fact that price increases have been
significant over the past year.
--

Bernhard Geyer writes:
If you don't want to spend such high price, I think ZEOS support
PostgreSQL.
Zeos is lacking key PostgreSQL features like being able to receive
notifications from the server. The server emits notifications for
informational purposes and it is critical that a library be able to
receive them.
Zeos is fine for simple stuff though.

Uffe Kousgaard writes:

Are you sure? Try and check out
web.archive.org/web/*/www.microolap.com/

There are no prices even close to $24. I can see prices from $80-$100 for
your product.

24 was what they used to charge for a year renewal I believe.
When I bought it I think I paid 89 dollars for full source.

Kevin Powick writes:
Uffe Kousgaard writes:

>"Kevin Powick" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>>A year ago, I bought PostgresDAC from MicroOlap and paid roughly
>>$24.00 (US)for a single user license with full source code.
>Are you sure?

Positive. I have my Share-IT receipt in front of me, dated 29 May 2007.

Kevin,
Are you sure that was not the 1 year renewal cost? I am pretty sure I
paid like 89 dollars for a new license a few years ago.
Later,
Tony

Tony Caduto writes:
Are you sure that was not the 1 year renewal cost?
Yes, the $24.00 was some type of discounted fee. I followed-up on one
of the other posts here to clarify that.
I don't know what the folks at MicroOLAP are thinking. Those
commercial prices for connectivity to a free, Open Source database will
be discouraging to many developers.
I'm glad to hear that Core Lab is working on a VCL version of their
Postgres DAC. I started off with their MySQL DAC and was always
pleased with their products. Perhaps it is time to switch back.
--
Kevin Powick

Re:MicroOlap PostgresDAC crazy price increases

"Kevin Powick" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

I don't know what the folks at MicroOLAP are thinking.
Perhaps they are just trying to make a living?
Those
commercial prices for connectivity to a free, Open Source database will
be discouraging to many developers.
The price of postgreSQL doesn't affect MicroOLAPs cost of developing the
connectivity.

>I don't know what the folks at MicroOLAP are thinking.

Perhaps they are just trying to make a living?
A gouging is more like it. Also, in my 1 year subscription there have
been only 2 minor upgrades. Perhaps this speaks of their product's
completeness and stability, but it also begs the question, why continue
to pay for something that works and is unchanging?
The price of postgreSQL doesn't affect MicroOLAPs cost of developing
the connectivity.
No, but the point is many are using PostgreSQL to minimize costs. I
don't begrudge MicroOlap's desire to have a profitable business. I'm
just shocked at the price increase. Also, I doubt these price
increases reflect real world increases to their cost of development.
--
Kevin Powick

Re:MicroOlap PostgresDAC crazy price increases

Hello Kevin,
>>I don't know what the folks at MicroOLAP are thinking.
>
>Perhaps they are just trying to make a living?
Uffe is almost right :)
More and more developers migrate to Postgres, or at least start their new
projects with it instead of Oracle/Sybase/whatever - just Google for
"postgresql skype" or "postgresql yahoo".
PostgreSQL development team has tremendous success last 2-3 years, the
product is moving forward with great strides.
In this situation we had either to invest additional resources in our
connectivity development to be up to date, or close PostgresDAC project.
We've decided to move within the first way.
--
Edward Smirnov
CEO

Kevin Powick writes:
A year ago, I bought PostgresDAC from MicroOlap and paid roughly
$24.00 (US)for a single user license with full source code.

Now my subscription is up for renewal and it seems they've revamped
their pricing structure into 3 tiers and applied a massive increase to
prices. Here's the breakdown showing full-price/renewal-price

Personal (no business use at all)
134.95 / 80.95

Business (internal company use only)
299.95 / 179.95

Commercial (May resell products using PgDAC)
399.95 / 239.95

This is just crazy. My cost has just jumped 10x what I paid only a
year ago.

I don't mind paying a fair price for a good product, but both the
price and the increase from a year ago seem excessive.
I totally agree- I am currently switching all my code from PostresDAC
to use RemObjects AnyDAC. AnyDAC will offer PostgreSQL support later
this year, plus it currently includes support for accessing all the
other common database servers.
AnyDAC ain't cheap, but because I can finally use it for almost any
database server, with the same component base, it is well worth it-
switching between database servers is no longer a problem for me, since
I started using AnyDAC. I use it with Firebird and MS SQL 2000/2005 with
great success.
Regards,
Keith
--

Re:MicroOlap PostgresDAC crazy price increases

Edward Smirnov writes:
Hi Edward,
PostgreSQL development team has tremendous success last 2-3 years,
the product is moving forward with great strides.

In this situation we had either to invest additional resources in our
connectivity development to be up to date, or close PostgresDAC
project. We've decided to move within the first way.
I'm sorry. I just don't buy this explanation, especially since your
DAC is not a direct connect product, but relies on external libraries
not even developed by MicroOlap, libpq.dll for example.
The deployment folder that comes with your DAC includes 9 dlls that one
must distribute with their project, depending on the features
implemented. To me, this looks like little more than front-ending
somebody else's work.
Also consider that your PG DAC product still doesn't provide Unicode
support. Two years ago I had a problem with this and the answer from
your support group was to patch one of your PG DAC files by using TNT
Unicode libraries. I guess you guys are waiting for Delphi 2008 so you
don't have to do this work either.
Edward, I do like your PG DAC product. The support has been good and,
until now, I thought the pricing was fair. As I said in another post,
I do not deny that your company should turn a profit, but the price
increase over the past year is, IMO, not reasonable.
I think you've recognized a growing market and are trying to see what
it will bear. Fair enough in a free market society I suppose, but
don't forget that competition is also part of this game, and there are
alternatives. I, and it appears a few others, will be looking
elsewhere for commercial PostgreSQL connectivity products.
--
Kevin Powick