Re: I18N Conventions

2003-07-22 03:31:28 AM
delphi280
Mark Finkle writes:
example, if you had an application named: MYAPP.EXE, would you name it
differently in other languages?
I just use one exe file for all languages, that contains all translations
for all languages.
Another question is about registry entries. Does each language version
get
a separate registry key? For example, "\Software\MyAppEng" and so on.
No. You should only translate the user interface - not the program behind
it.
Lars Dybdahl.
--
{*word*137} programmer
Denmark

Re: I18N Conventions

For example, the main Delphi executable is named delphi32.exe and for the
German versions, in the same directory as the main executable there is a
file name delphi32.de which contains all the German localized resources
associated with that binary. French would have delphi32.fr, Japanese
would
have delphi32.jp and so on.
Leo,
Just a question of interest:
How are you (Borland) translating the resources? I don't think your are
using something like the built in ITE, don't you?
cu,
Michael

Re: I18N Conventions

Are you kidding? Don't make me laugh.
Sure ;-) However I'd like to know anyway. It MUST be a better tool
anyway.
cu,
Michael

Re: I18N Conventions

Our tool (Balmsoft Polyglot) uses external text files, so even end-user can
translate application to their native language.
I am interested in learning what basic conventions other development shops
use when creating multi-language versions of their applications. For
example, if you had an application named: MYAPP.EXE, would you name it
differently in other languages?

Such as:
MYAPP_ENG.EXE
MYAPP_KOR.EXE