BDE TTable FoxPro to something without the BDE?

Greetings all,

I'm trying to eliminate the BDE from our Delphi 7 applications... One of the
applications uses the BDE TTable to create, populate and index (when the
indexing doesn't blow up <g>) several large FoxPro files that are then used
by a different application. Can someone suggest something similar to TTable
but without the BDE as a replacement?

If a TTable like solution is not practical, what other suggestions do you
have?

Just FYI... I have read that the DBExpress TSQLTable doesn't support
FoxPro... Is this still true?

Thanks...
__________________________
Dan Rhea
Windows Programmer
SIRS Publishing, Inc.

Re:BDE TTable FoxPro to something without the BDE?

Two alternatives are:

The ADO components with the FoxPro ODBC driver.

The free Advantage Local Server from Extended systems. I comes with
TDataSet components and supports FoxPro files.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:BDE TTable FoxPro to something without the BDE?

Sorry to ask, but I'm very curious:
I've been reading your posts on this type of questions
and you almost allways recomend Advantage.
Never read one referencing DBISAM as an alternative.
Any specific reasons or you just didn't tested it yet ?
I ask this because I'm trying to chose between one and the other...

Fernando Dias

Re:BDE TTable FoxPro to something without the BDE?

Hi,

We use Topaz to access dBASE tables. Not sure if it works with
Foxpro as well - they are basically the same format except for the
indexes I think.
Topaz doesn't use the BDE (or require ODBC data surce configuration),
and is a simple no-nonsense set of components.

Check out www.softsci.com for details.

Cheers,

Chris

"Fernando Dias" <fernandod...@vidisco.pt> wrote:
>I've been reading your posts on this type of questions
>and you almost allways recomend Advantage.
>Never read one referencing DBISAM as an alternative.
>Any specific reasons or you just didn't tested it yet ?

You're posting to a public forum, and not quoting anybody's
previous response, so I'm not sure who "you" is meant to be --
Bill Todd, perhaps? Bill will have to speak for himself, but the
original poster asked for a solution that would work with existing
FoxPro tables, so DBISAM would not be a solution in that case.
DBISAM has a loyal customer base who speak highly of the product,
and feel like they're getting their money's worth. Just to mention,
TurboPower's FlashFiler has just gone "open source," and is another
way to go if you want to move the data into another table format.

To both you and the original poster, there are lots of alternatives;
you may want to look at the list at http://www.kylecordes.com/bag
and decide what's best for you.

Rick Carter
Rick.Car...@cincww.rcc.org
Chair, Paradox/Delphi SIG, Cincinnati PC Users Group

Re:BDE TTable FoxPro to something without the BDE?

> You're posting to a public forum, and not quoting anybody's
> previous response, so I'm not sure who "you" is meant to be --
> Bill Todd, perhaps? Bill will have to speak for himself, but the

Sorry.
I was asking Bill Todd.

> original poster asked for a solution that would work with existing
> FoxPro tables, so DBISAM would not be a solution in that case.

Tank you.
I will take a look on the alternatives you pointed.

Fernando Dias

Re:BDE TTable FoxPro to something without the BDE?

"Rick Carter" <Rick.Car...@cincww.rcc.org> wrote in message

<snip>

> To both you and the original poster, there are lots of alternatives;
> you may want to look at the list at http://www.kylecordes.com/bag
> and decide what's best for you.

> Rick Carter
> Rick.Car...@cincww.rcc.org
> Chair, Paradox/Delphi SIG, Cincinnati PC Users Group

Hi Rick,

Great resource! Thanks!
__________________________
Dan Rhea
Windows Programmer
SIRS Publishing, Inc.

Re:BDE TTable FoxPro to something without the BDE?

I have never used DBISAM but I usually include it when people are
looking for a replacement for Paradox tables. In this case, the user
wanted a product that will read and write FoxPro tables. DBISAM will
not. Advantage will.

--
Bill (TeamB)