concatenating PDFs

2007-12-03 10:56:02 PM
delphi214
My app generates a bank statment as PDF from QuickReports.
We have the disclosure page they want, already in a PDF.
Is there a way to concatonate the two together easily?
So far, we have found a GPL exe that we can run on the command
line. This would require streaming both the source files out
to disk and then reading the result back in before sending it.
This adds a tremendous amount of overhead that I'd like to avoid.
We've tried exporting the PDF to an image file and it loses
too much resolution.
All I can think of is programatically concatenating the PFDs.
.NET has somne routines that work with PDFs that may handle this.
Does anyone know of anything in W32?
Thanks,
Brad.

Re:concatenating PDFs

The Adobe Acrobat API allows you to do that
Here are some links that might be helpful to you. it is VB6 code but you should be able to port it to whatever language you are using quite easily.
vb6 how to merge two pdf files
==============================
www.eggheadcafe.com/community/aspnet/8/23903/current-thread.aspx
and
support.adobe.com/devsup/devsup.nsf/docs/51009.htm
Good luck
Regards,
Gaetan Siry
Brad White <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
My app generates a bank statment as PDF from QuickReports.
We have the disclosure page they want, already in a PDF.
Is there a way to concatonate the two together easily?

So far, we have found a GPL exe that we can run on the command
line. This would require streaming both the source files out
to disk and then reading the result back in before sending it.
This adds a tremendous amount of overhead that I'd like to avoid.

We've tried exporting the PDF to an image file and it loses
too much resolution.

All I can think of is programatically concatenating the PFDs.
.NET has somne routines that work with PDFs that may handle this.

Does anyone know of anything in W32?

Thanks,
Brad.

Re:concatenating PDFs

I've successfully used PDFToolkit to merge multiple PDF's into a single PDF
www.gnostice.com/PDFtoolkitoverview.asp

Re:concatenating PDFs

Gaetan Siry formulated the question :
The Adobe Acrobat API allows you to do that

None of those pages say anything about prerequisites.
Does this approach require Acrobat on every end-users
machine?
Sounds like quite an expensive approach.
Thanks,
Brad.

Re:concatenating PDFs

Hi Brad,
All I can think of is programatically concatenating the PFDs.
.NET has somne routines that work with PDFs that may handle this.
If you want an API based library/component for merging PDFs, have look
into Gnostice's PDFtoolkit. Supports viewing and printing, filling and
reading of PDF forms, compressing, securing, appending and merging of
multiple PDF documents, stamping, building Table of Contents, setting
bookmarks, and many more functions that can be performed on PDF documents
www.gnostice.com/PDFtoolkitOverview.asp
www.gnostice.com/pdftoolkitFeatures.asp
Regards,
Najeeb