Which Ribbon Control Is Best?

2007-08-11 06:01:51 AM
delphi172
I am seeking opinions on which ribbon control is the best.
I have played with the TMS ribbon for a while, but find that the DevX
ribbon control looks better from its screen shots, though I am not a
DevX subscriber, hence I have not actually coded with it. Has anyone
switched from one of these ribbon controls to the other, and what was
your experience? The DevX ribbon demo features much better window
skinning and from what I can tell, a faster refresh. Has anyone else
come to similar conclusions?

Re:Which Ribbon Control Is Best?

Hi Mike
I have the subscription for the DevExpress VCL Components and
the new DevExpress ExpressBar 6 with the Ribbon Components it is the best!!
Best Regards
Claudio Piffer
CSoft
"Mike Vance" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>ha scritto nel messaggio
I am seeking opinions on which ribbon control is the best.

I have played with the TMS ribbon for a while, but find that the DevX
ribbon control looks better from its screen shots, though I am not a
DevX subscriber, hence I have not actually coded with it. Has anyone
switched from one of these ribbon controls to the other, and what was
your experience? The DevX ribbon demo features much better window
skinning and from what I can tell, a faster refresh. Has anyone else
come to similar conclusions?

Re:Which Ribbon Control Is Best?

I've not tried the TMS version, but the DevEx version works very well for
me.
/Matthew Jones/

Re:Which Ribbon Control Is Best?

Ok, I will take the other side -- please don't hunt me down and kill me, its just an opinion :)
I own the DX bars (version 5, without the ribbon) but am actually using the TMS stuff instead.
DevExpress supporters are very vocal, and in fairness with good reason, the products ARE great, but
in my experience they are not always as flexible as other components.
If you drop on a dev express component (from any set) you can be 100% sure that it will look
perfect. Every single pixel will look great -- they obviously employ some artists as well as
programmers and what's more they take them seriously. Since most of us are not artists, this is an
easy way to buy into a lot of talent that we are ill equipped to provide for ourselves.
However, in my experience there are sometimes flexibility problems. If you are using the components
exactly how the dev express people envisioned it, then they are indeed very, very good. However, if
you want something slightly different from what they were thinking then things get a bit sticky.
A few examples,
If you want to change the color of your menus in express bars to something slightly different from
one of their (gorgeous) themes, you have to dive into the source code. Their source code is heavily
engineered and what is going on is not obvious at first glance (although I am sure that it is quite
elegant once you get what they are doing).
From what I understand from their newsgroups, if you want to put your ribbon someplace other than
at the top of a form (don't ask) you are out of luck. Not so with the TMS alternative.
In the dev express grid (which is a phenomenal piece of software, and probably their most flexible
offering) as far as I could figure out (using the last version, not the latest) there was no way to
have two detail datasets shown from one record. That wasn't clear I guess so let me explain:
Suppose you have a grid of order records each of which has a connection to a list of the items in
the order and to a list of people that have handled the order. Dev express expects a strict
hierarchy of grids. So you can have a drill-down to one of these but not to both (as far as I could
figure out). Other grid systems, such as InfoPower, can handle this without a problem.
So I'd suggest that you take a good look at DevExpress and be sure that you will be using it in
exactly the way they expect you to be using it. (They have generally thought through these things
so typically the answer will be yes -- hence their vocal supporters). If so, and if you can afford
them, then you will be a very happy camper.
However, if you are thinking of doing something slightly different from what they are expecting then
you should check to see if what you are thinking is possible.
Ivan

Re:Which Ribbon Control Is Best?

Ivan,
| However, if you are thinking of doing something slightly different
| from what they are expecting then you should check to see if what you
| are thinking is possible.
Excellent advice.
And why I still often use Orpheus4, W2W IP, LMDTools and Raize
components in addition to DevExpress. No "One size fits all."
08/12/2007 17:13:49
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Re:Which Ribbon Control Is Best?

<snip>
From what I understand from their newsgroups, if you want to put your ribbon someplace other than
at the top of a form (don't ask) you are out of luck. Not so with the TMS alternative.
This is correct - you are limited to where the ribbon is placed by
DevEx. However, you should also be aware that there is a license
agreement that ***every*** developer who wishes to employ the ribbon
***must*** sign with MS. That license agreement requires that the
developer follow a set of guidelines when employing the ribbon
control.
Before you judge DevEx in this area, maybe you should obtain and read
the Ribbon UI Guidelines.
So I'd suggest that you take a good look at DevExpress and be sure that you will be using it in
exactly the way they expect you to be using it. (They have generally thought through these things
so typically the answer will be yes -- hence their vocal supporters). If so, and if you can afford
them, then you will be a very happy camper.

However, if you are thinking of doing something slightly different from what they are expecting then
you should check to see if what you are thinking is possible.

Yes, well that would go for any tool set you buy. I'd also
strongly reccommend that you fully understand the license you are
buying. In a recent discovery, I found that while I thought I was
puchasing a license for a software tool, it turned out to be more of a
subscription and thus I was cut off from updates for the current
version that I had.
Bill

Re:Which Ribbon Control Is Best?

I am seeking opinions on which ribbon control is the best.

I have played with the TMS ribbon for a while, but find that the DevX
ribbon control looks better from its screen shots, though I am not a
DevX subscriber, hence I have not actually coded with it. Has anyone
switched from one of these ribbon controls to the other, and what was
your experience? The DevX ribbon demo features much better window
skinning and from what I can tell, a faster refresh. Has anyone else
come to similar conclusions?
I tried both the TMS version and the DevEx version and I will join the
praises for the DevEx ribbon implementation. It works great and to
date has performed everything I need it to do.
While the first release was missing some options, many features have
been added since. The ribbon is well designed, and allows me to meet
the requirements of the MS Ribbon UI Guideline without a lot of pain.
Where specific things are required, or not allowed, the DevEx control
handles those automatically. Some would suggest that the controls are
not flexible because of these limitations, however, one should really
study the 2007 Microsoft Office System User Interface Guidelines
before making these claims.
Bill

Re:Which Ribbon Control Is Best?

I am seeking opinions on which ribbon control is the best.
I've played with both, and as others have said, there are benefits to each.
I will say that the DevExpress one is significantly easier to make look
good, since it controls the positioning of everything automatically or with
only a couple of mouse clicks. The TMS one has a more flexible layout, but
that's a double edged sword, and I found it really awkward trying to make
things line up correctly.
It's also important, as Bill has pointed out, that you reference the
Microsoft Ribbon UI contract documents. While you might want to argue with
the legality of it all[1], ultimately Microsoft has done a *ton* of
usability testing on the Ribbon, and if you want to use it some other way
you're very probably making a terrible decision that might stroke your ego
but won't make your users happier.
I hope this helps.
[2] I will, however, be the first to jump for joy if the patent gets denied,
or is overruled by a court later on, because software patents are retarded.
--
Tim Sullivan
Unlimited Intelligence Limited

Mike Vance writes:
I am seeking opinions on which ribbon control is the best.

I have played with the TMS ribbon for a while, but find that the DevX
ribbon control looks better from its screen shots, though I am not a
DevX subscriber, hence I have not actually coded with it. Has anyone
switched from one of these ribbon controls to the other, and what was
your experience? The DevX ribbon demo features much better window
skinning and from what I can tell, a faster refresh. Has anyone else
come to similar conclusions?
Try this mxs.bergsoft.net/

Re:Which Ribbon Control Is Best?

DevEx. However, you should also be aware that there is a license
agreement that ***every*** developer who wishes to employ the ribbon
***must*** sign with MS.
It is possible to use the the TMS "Ribbon" control as a panel -- not as a ribbon at all. What you
get is group boxes with the glow effect when the mouse is over them. And since it is then not a
ribbon, just a panel with group boxes the license doesn't apply. AFAIK, this is not possible with
the DevExpress offering. Whether it is desirable is another thing of course

Re:Which Ribbon Control Is Best?

... Some would suggest that the controls are
not flexible because of these limitations, however, one should really
study the 2007 Microsoft Office System User Interface Guidelines
before making these claims.

Bill
Yes, I am sure that the reason that I have a different opinion from you must be because I haven't
studied.

Re:Which Ribbon Control Is Best?

"Ivan" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

In the dev express grid (which is a phenomenal piece of software, and
probably their most flexible offering) as far as I could figure out (using
the last version, not the latest) there was no way to have two detail
datasets shown from one record. That wasn't clear I guess so let me
explain: Suppose you have a grid of order records each of which has a
connection to a list of the items in the order and to a list of people
that have handled the order. Dev express expects a strict hierarchy of
grids. So you can have a drill-down to one of these but not to both (as
far as I could figure out). Other grid systems, such as InfoPower, can
handle this without a problem.
DevEx QuantumGrid allows you to have as many details as you want, but it
only shows one detail at a time for each master-record. You however can
switch details using tabs. So do you really want to show 2 details for each
master record at the same time like ExpressMasterView can show?
Thanks,
Vlad

Re:Which Ribbon Control Is Best?

I agree. I use Orpheus, LMD, Raize as well.
"Q Correll" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Ivan,

| However, if you are thinking of doing something slightly different
| from what they are expecting then you should check to see if what you
| are thinking is possible.

Excellent advice.

And why I still often use Orpheus4, W2W IP, LMDTools and Raize
components in addition to DevExpress. No "One size fits all."

08/12/2007 17:13:49

XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Re:Which Ribbon Control Is Best?

I've used TMS and DevX's ribbon.
The initial ribbon from DevX was missing a few features that was taken care
of in an update (which is probably my only complaint is that they don't
update often........ then again... a show of quality??? grin).
TMS, I have always had to be careful with. I have occasionally "blown out" my
DFM's or always have odd things go on with TMS components. They seem to
take more of a shotgun approach to having a ton of components (nothing wrong
with that), but don't really sit down and tighten up one set, and verify and
check documentation, then move on to the next set. TMS's help files are poor
at best. (You want to see a quality help file / documentation, take a look
at Elevate Software's documentation for DBISAM or ElevateDB. This is a
standard I hold every component company to).
"Mike Vance" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I am seeking opinions on which ribbon control is the best.

I have played with the TMS ribbon for a while, but find that the DevX
ribbon control looks better from its screen shots, though I am not a
DevX subscriber, hence I have not actually coded with it. Has anyone
switched from one of these ribbon controls to the other, and what was
your experience? The DevX ribbon demo features much better window
skinning and from what I can tell, a faster refresh. Has anyone else
come to similar conclusions?

Re:Which Ribbon Control Is Best?

I've used TMS and DevX's ribbon.

The initial ribbon from DevX was missing a few features that was taken care
of in an update (which is probably my only complaint is that they don't
update often........ then again... a show of quality??? grin).

Six updates so far this year is not bad at all - complete with the
quality control. You can always request a hot fix for something
critical too. The longest period of time between the updates was this
last one where it was two months between the update - still not bad at
all IMHO.