Re: Database replicator

2005-07-06 04:41:18 PM
delphi133
Jonathan Neve writes:
Well, sorry for my ignorance but... what's an ETA? Do you mean a
timeframe? If so, I would say, probably within about two weeks. The
replicator itself is already finished, it is mostly the configuration
part (generating the triggers, and so on) that need a little testing. So
I expect that within a week or two I should have _at least_ a beta
version for you to try out (and perhaps even a stable version).

Thanks to Rudy for coming to my rescue while I slept!
Your timescales sound great.
As for the licensing model, it isn't 100% settled yet, so don't hold me
to the following prices, it is just an approximation. It will probably be
something like this:
- Standard version (no source code, without some of the more advanced
features): $99
- Professional version (no source code, fully featured) : $199
- Entreprise version (full source code, full features) : $350

OK - this sounds reasonable too, but I will pick this up with you
outside of this forum.
I will also (probably) provide 1 year of free updates, as well as a
special price for site licences.

Please note that of course, this is royalty-free, as component-sets
usually are: unlike IBPReplicator and such like, you pay per developper,
not per database.
Fully expected that.
:D Actually, he was refering to the other remote control solution. I
didn't say a few days, because mine wasn't that close to completion yet.
I just said "soon", which is conveniently relative and somewhat
subjective. :)
:)
--
Colin
utsl

Re: Database replicator

Of course, that is what I meant.
Okay. I accept this clarification. But of course that is not what you wrote, and I am not a mind reader. :-)
Kevin
--
Software for resource managers and researchers
www.ecostats.com

Re: Database replicator

we are talking about *replication* after all!
Replication is the the exact copying of something, and it does not state implicitly if just a part or the whole is copied. Stating "it's a whole table or nothing" would indicate the latter, not the former, and I long ago stopped trying to think for others and try to interpret intent of what was meant, since I have found that my assumptions were sometimes wrong and it has cost me.
Jonathan has clarified himself we are on the same page, which is all I needed.
Kevin
--
Software for resource managers and researchers
www.ecostats.com

Re: Database replicator

Any chance on having DBISAM support?
Bern
Jonathan Neve writes:
Hi all,

I wrote a database replicator (for Interbase) nearly two years ago
(and it is been in production use ever since). Recently, I have been
reworking it into a set of components, which I intend to make
available commercially. They're not quite ready yet (they still need
a little more testing), but I would like to find out what kind of market
there is.

Currently, my components are based on FIBPlus, and work of IB 6 and
up. Please tell me if you would be interested in:

a) The components as they are (FIBPlus).

b) A version using IBX (or some other library) instead of FIBPlus.

c) Support for some database other than Interbase/Firebird.

Now that the core functionality is present, it shouldn't be very
difficult to use a different library or (perhaps?) a different
database, but I would like to know how many people would be interested
before I start.

Regards,
Jonathan Neve.

PS: Follow-up set to borland.public.delphi.thirdpartytools.general

Re: Database replicator

Bern Rudisill writes:
Any chance on having DBISAM support?
Possibly, though not right away. I have never used DBISAM, so I don't know
what kind of surprises it may reserve, but OTOH, if there's demand for
it, I would be glad to give it a try. I make Interbase/Firebird my priority
though, I will think about supporting other databases afterwards.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Regards,
Jonathan Neve.

Re: Database replicator

Colin Hughes writes:
Jonathan Neve writes:
>Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
>>Expected Time or Arrival. Or a Basque terrorist organization. Or
>>one of these:[snip]
>Thanks!
>Jonathan Neve.

Sorry Jonathan, I pretty much avoid TLAs <g>, but here in the UK
"ETA" is a well used phrase, and I slipped up including it on an
international forum!
Well, it is also popular in Canada as "Estimated Time of Arrival" - and
generally ignored: we don't seem to be able to set a valid ETA any more
accurately than the rest of the planet... <g>
Cheers,
EdB

Re: Database replicator

"Ed Blanchard" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Colin Hughes writes:

>Jonathan Neve writes:
>>Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
>>>Expected Time or Arrival.
In Americia it is generally contracted to "Estimated Time OF Arrival"
>Sorry Jonathan, I pretty much avoid TLAs <g>, but here in the UK
>"ETA" is a well used phrase, and I slipped up including it on an
>international forum!

Well, it is also popular in Canada as "Estimated Time of Arrival" - and
generally ignored: we don't seem to be able to set a valid ETA any more
accurately than the rest of the planet... <g>
As noted above, it is a very common acronym in the Untied St8s, too.
--
Download Blackbird Crow Raven's book
"STILL CASTING SHADOWS: Two American Families 1620-2006"

Re: Database replicator

K. Sallee writes:

>we are talking about *replication* after all!

Replication is the the exact copying of something, and it does not state
implicitly if just a part or the whole is copied. Stating "it's a whole
table or nothing" would indicate the latter, not the former, and I long
ago stopped trying to think for others and try to interpret intent of
what was meant, since I have found that my assumptions were sometimes
wrong and it has cost me.

Jonathan has clarified himself we are on the same page, which is all I
needed.

Kevin

It wasn't my intention to insult you, (or even reply to you, as it
happens), more to let Jonathan know that I expect his replication
solution to meet all the requirements expected of a database replication
solution - that is why I replied to his post, not yours.
--
Colin
utsl

Re: Database replicator

Ed Blanchard writes:
Colin Hughes writes:
Well, it is also popular in Canada as "Estimated Time of Arrival" - and
generally ignored: we don't seem to be able to set a valid ETA any more
accurately than the rest of the planet... <g>
Have you heard of British Rail, and it is descendants? <g>
--
Colin
utsl

Re: Database replicator

K. Sallee writes:

>Of course, that is what I meant.

Okay. I accept this clarification. But of course that is not what you
wrote, and I am not a mind reader. :-)
Sure, no problem. :) Sorry for not being clear!
Regards,
Jonathan Neve.

Re: Database replicator

"Crazy Horse's crazier little brother"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

In Americia it is generally contracted to "Estimated Time OF Arrival"
oops, I mean:
In America it is generally EXPANDED to "Estimated Time OF Arrival"
--
Download Blackbird Crow Raven's book
"STILL CASTING SHADOWS: Two American Families 1620-2006"
(.exe and .pdf): cc.borland.com/ccweb.exe/listing

Re: Database replicator

How much work (how many fields, triggers, etc) must be setup for this to be
enabled???

Re: Database replicator

Raymond J. Schappe writes:
How much work (how many fields, triggers, etc) must be setup for this to be
enabled???
Very little work, because I have got a tool that generates the setup
automatically. All you have to do is choose which tables you want to
replicate, select the PK synchronisation mode for each one and a few
other options, and it generates all the SQL for you.
I've made it so that there is almost nothing to change in your
applications in order to use the replicator (the only thing to change is
related to PK synchronisation, in certain cases).
As I said, I currently have a tool that generates the SQL. I've
converted it into a component, but I am not quite finished with it yet.
That's the main thing I want to finish before publishing the first
version. So when I release it, there will be a component you can use to
generate the triggers and other replication objects.
Regards,
Jonathan Neve.