Installing Component HELP (KWF) Files - Help Needed

I'm having trouble installing KWF files in Delphi 2.0.  I follow the same
process
that I used (successfully) with Delphi 1.0, yet no help appears within the
Delphi 2.o Help system, nor does F1 produce any help on the installed and
placed 3rd party components.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about
and have a solution?  Heck, I'll even settle for some comiseration at this
point, to know that I'm not the only one (I have the same problem on two
different systems).

Thanks,

Meade Roberts
me...@teleport.com

Re:Installing Component HELP (KWF) Files - Help Needed

Meadeness <me...@teleport.com> wrote in article
<01bb7e88$2bcc9360$3da5e...@meade.teleport.com>...

> I'm having trouble installing KWF files in Delphi 2.0.  I follow the same
> process
> that I used (successfully) with Delphi 1.0, yet no help appears within
the
> Delphi 2.o Help system, nor does F1 produce any help on the installed and
> placed 3rd party components.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about
> and have a solution?  Heck, I'll even settle for some comiseration at
this
> point, to know that I'm not the only one (I have the same problem on two
> different systems).

I, too, had no problem installing Delphi 1.0 and all of the associated Help
Files, however Delphi Developer 2.0 is a completely different story. With
1.0, I am able to view all the component help, and API help, etc. With 2.0,
I can only open up certain sections of all the help, and have absolutely no
way of viewing any of the Windows 95 API calls. I have already downloaded
the fixed help files from Borland and I still am having the same problems.
Any help would definitely benefit!

Thanks.
--
Scott Jarkoff
aka Praga Khan

On Thu, 01 Aug 1996 06:30:00 GMT, e...@pobox.com (Eric Miles) wrote:
>There is a limit to the number of KWF that can be installed.  I am not
>sure what the limit is but I was going along fine until I installed
>Orpheus help files and then it {*word*99}ped out on me.  I got rid of the
>Orpheus ones and it worked.  First thought was Orpheus was the
>culprit.  Wrong.  I uninstalled all of my other add ins and then
>installed Orpheus and it worked.  I started adding them back in one at
>a time and found that after a few...bang.  No more help.  So be
>selective on which help you REALLY need.

The format of the HDX file allows 256 KWF files. There might be a bug
in HELPINST, imposing a practical limit on the size of the KWF files.
Perhaps adding too many large files is more than HELPINST can handle.
If so, it is a bug in HELPINST, not an inherent limit in the HDX file
format.
--
Ray Lischner                              li...@tempest-sw.com
Tempest Software, Corvallis, Oregon, USA  http://www.tempest-sw.com

"Scott Jarkoff" <j...@bayside.net> wrote:
>Meadeness <me...@teleport.com> wrote in article
><01bb7e88$2bcc9360$3da5e...@meade.teleport.com>...
>> I'm having trouble installing KWF files in Delphi 2.0.  I follow the same
>> process
>> that I used (successfully) with Delphi 1.0, yet no help appears within
>the
>> Delphi 2.o Help system, nor does F1 produce any help on the installed and
>> placed 3rd party components.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about
>> and have a solution?  Heck, I'll even settle for some comiseration at
>this
>> point, to know that I'm not the only one (I have the same problem on two
>> different systems).
>I, too, had no problem installing Delphi 1.0 and all of the associated Help
>Files, however Delphi Developer 2.0 is a completely different story. With
>1.0, I am able to view all the component help, and API help, etc. With 2.0,
>I can only open up certain sections of all the help, and have absolutely no
>way of viewing any of the Windows 95 API calls. I have already downloaded
>the fixed help files from Borland and I still am having the same problems.
>Any help would definitely benefit!
>Thanks.
>--
>Scott Jarkoff
>aka Praga Khan
>TechnoDome Systems/Schizofrenia!
>j...@bayside.net
>Death. The cure for all diseases. - Thomas Browne

Eric Miles
e...@pobox.com
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
My opinions and comments are my own and ONLY
my own and reflect in no way my employer's.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Re:Installing Component HELP (KWF) Files - Help Needed

It's interesting hearing about these limitations in the HDX file and all,
but I cannot install even one KWF file.  This is a basic problem.  But
the responses so far seem to indicate that someone has installed at
least one KWF file successfully, I assume, using the standard method
of adding to the Delphi HDX file as with Delphi 1.0.  But this just doesn't
work for me, and I work with two machines, and now I've met other people
who complain of the same problem.  Orpheus was mentioned.  This is one
of the kwf files that I'm trying to install (ORPH32.*), without success,
and
it's the ONLY one I'm trying to add to the standard Delphi.hdx file.
What's
the deal?

Thanks for the effort spent in responding and trying to help guys.

Meade

On 4 Aug 1996 08:00:26 GMT, "Meadeness" <me...@teleport.com> wrote:

>It's interesting hearing about these limitations in the HDX file and all,
>but I cannot install even one KWF file.  This is a basic problem.  But
>the responses so far seem to indicate that someone has installed at
>least one KWF file successfully, I assume, using the standard method
>of adding to the Delphi HDX file as with Delphi 1.0.  But this just doesn't
>work for me, and I work with two machines, and now I've met other people
>who complain of the same problem.  Orpheus was mentioned.  This is one
>of the kwf files that I'm trying to install (ORPH32.*), without success,
>and
>it's the ONLY one I'm trying to add to the standard Delphi.hdx file.

It sounds like the KWF file is corrupt.
--
Ray Lischner                              li...@tempest-sw.com
Tempest Software, Corvallis, Oregon, USA  http://www.tempest-sw.com

Re:Installing Component HELP (KWF) Files - Help Needed

Much thanks to both Ray Lischner and Eric Miles and Scott Jarkoff.  It
turns
out that you had the answer all along, that there is a limit to the KWF
files
added to the HDX file.  I must admit to resisting the truth for quite a
while,
thinking that the HDX file provided direct from Borland just couldn't be
full.
No, it must be that I didn't explain myself clearly.  But, after
reinstalling
Delphi 2.0 several times and experimenting, it looks like I do have to
delete atleast one of the stock KWF files before I can install another one
in its place.  I've forgotten the number of KWFs in the original
DELPHI.HDX,
but it's under 20.  This is so low that there still must be more to this
mystery
than I understand at the moment.  But I have now been able to install those
KWF files successfully, and thanks again guys.

Meade

Other Threads