Re: Where's the Delphi in "Delphi for PHP"?

2007-02-21 01:07:46 AM
delphi15
Nick,
I really think CodeGear is making a big mistake calling it Delphi for PHP.
I'm not seeing anyone on this NG that thinks the new product should have a
Delphi prefix - it is confusing!
As the product manager you need to have a razor sharp definition of what
Delphi is, and is not. In my view, and I may be mistaken, Delphi and the
Pascal language are tightly linked - it is Pascal for today's computer
environments. And it is Pascal done well with a nice IDE, component
framework and de{*word*81} - but it is the excellent implementation of *Pascal*
that (IMHO) defines Delphi. And it is the excellent implementation of Pascal
that nobody has been able to replicate.
Nick - I hope you don't see me as being critical for the sake of it. I'm
passionate about Delphi and I desperate for CodeGear and Delphi to have a
great future - I am just concerned about this latest wrinkle in Delphi's
path.
Best regards,
Steve
"Nick Hodges (CodeGear)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Steve M writes:

>I assume by the product's title that I will be able to leverage my
>Delphi skills (i.e. Object Pascal) to create PHP web applications.

That's not the case. it is a very Delphi-like experience, but it is all
PHP code.

--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear

Steve M writes:

I really think CodeGear is making a big mistake calling it Delphi for
PHP. I am not seeing anyone on this NG that thinks the new product
should have a Delphi prefix - it is confusing!
All of your "Delphi" skills can be carried over to Delphi PHP. It all
should be very familiar to Delphi developers -- event driven
programming, components, component building, the Object Inspector --
except you code in PHP and not Object Pascal.
--

Steve M writes:
As the product manager you need to have a razor sharp definition of
what Delphi is, and is not.
Note that I am not the Product Manager for Delphi PHP.
--

Nick Hodges (CodeGear) writes:
All of your "Delphi" skills can be carried over to Delphi PHP.
So I presume is the target audience for your PHP product is existing
Delphi developers?
Are you going to market non-Delphi PHP programmers?
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

Re: Where's the Delphi in "Delphi for PHP"?

On Feb 20, 12:14 pm, "Nick Hodges (CodeGear)"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
All of your "Delphi" skills can be carried over to Delphi PHP. It all
should be very familiar to Delphi developers -- event driven
programming, components, component building, the Object Inspector --
except you code in PHP and not Object Pascal.
I do PHP so it is not an issue for me. But when I work with Delphi
it's:
-5% dragging,dropping and clicking
-95% coding (typing Object Pascal code)
I don't know how could I carry over my Delphi skills to PHP if I
didn't know it (PHP).
L.

Re: Where's the Delphi in "Delphi for PHP"?

Nick,
">Note that I am not the Product Manager for Delphi PHP."
Even more confusion. I thought you were the Delphi product manager; this
product is Delphi for PHP. Someone has stolen your brand.
Anyway - I have made my views clear, I am not going to yammer any more. FWIW I
work as a sales and marketing consultant. I do hope that the PHP product is
a great success and I hope (even more) that Delphi for Win 32 continues its
success.
Steve M writes:

>As the product manager you need to have a razor sharp definition of
>what Delphi is, and is not.

Note that I am not the Product Manager for Delphi PHP.

--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges

Re: Where's the Delphi in "Delphi for PHP"?

"Steve M" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
is not based upon Pascal is "brand suicide" IMHO. I desperately hope I'm
I'm wondering how far this "going technologically backward" can go. A PHP
could be interesting few years ago but today only ASP.NET or JSP frameworks
makes sense or things like Ruby for smaller projects. can not wait for "Delphi
for Batch files" ;-)
Petr

Re: Where's the Delphi in "Delphi for PHP"?

"Nick Hodges (CodeGear)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
That's not the case. it is a very Delphi-like experience, but>it is all PHP code.

--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges
I think your are doing a GREAT JOB here.
BUT, the "Delphi for PHP", is a confusing/BAD IDEA.
I mean, "Delphi" IS NOT AN IDE, BUT A COPYRIGHTED PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE based in previous "Object Pascal" programming language...
What about "PHPBuilder", "Turbo PHP", "Borland PHP Studio", "CodeGear PHP Studio" ???
or using a special greek name like "morfeus", instead ???
Like youd did with: "Kyl", (ugh, bad example), like you did with "Delphi" instead of "ObjectPascalBuilder"/"ApplicationBuilder" ???
Just my 2 cents. Cheers !!!
maramirezc

Brian Moelk writes:
So I presume is the target audience for your PHP product is existing
Delphi developers?
To start with.
Are you going to market non-Delphi PHP programmers?
Eventually, I believe.
--

"Petr Vones" <no@mail>writes:
I'm wondering how far this "going technologically backward">can go. A PHP
could be interesting few years ago but today only ASP.NET or>JSP frameworks
makes sense or things like Ruby for smaller projects. Can't>wait for "Delphi
for Batch files" ;-)

Petr
Wrong. I have work with "php", "asp.net" & "jsp" projects, and I still prefered PHP.
"asp" and "jsp" are getting too much complicated frameworks, I think.
Maybe its not your case, but, for existing Delphi developers, that require to work in web, PHP its a good alternative.
PHP as other "programming languages" / "development enviroments" have its pitfalls.
Personally, I DON'T LIKE MUCH of the existing PHP libraries, and I miss some namespace / modular support.
Just my 2 cents...
maramirezc

Re: Where's the Delphi in "Delphi for PHP"?

Victor Helsing writes:
If, on the other hand, it diverts effort into an unprofitable area at
the expense of the Delphi/Pascal product, it is suicide at this point
in the company's history.
That is not the case at all. Just to be clear. ;-)
--

Brian Moelk writes:
Are you going to market non-Delphi PHP programmers?
This is a strange question my friend :)
I thought this was THE CodeGear initiative to gain recognition outside
the non-tech <g>
--
Ingvar Nilsen
Brand New Web Site! Free Delphi Tool:

Re: Where's the Delphi in "Delphi for PHP"?

Nick Hodges (CodeGear) writes:
>So I presume is the target audience for your PHP product is existing
>Delphi developers?

To start with.
Interesting target market; especially if the intent is to roll it into
BDS one day. Seems like small/non-existent upsell margins...
>Are you going to market non-Delphi PHP programmers?

Eventually, I believe.
IMO, the product name is not conducive to do so.
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

Steve M writes:
Nick,

I really think CodeGear is making a big mistake calling it Delphi for
PHP. I am not seeing anyone on this NG that thinks the new product
should have a Delphi prefix - it is confusing!
WooHoo - here I am :)
Having thought about it, I think it is an ingenious move. Any possible
"Delphi=Product of the 90ies" connotations will hopefully vanish when
it appears in its PHP skin.
--

Petr Vones writes:
Can't wait for "Delphi for Batch files" ;-)
rofl :)
I think you will have to wait, according to the roadmap, Delphi for
INI-files has priority :)