Package Contents

2006-10-11 10:31:00 PM
delphi247
Can anybody point me at a comparison chart showing the different
contents of BDE2006 and Delphi 2006, and also the difference between the
Architect, Enterprise and Professional versions of these.
Thanks in advance,
Geoff Marshall

Re:Package Contents

Geoff Marshall writes:
Can anybody point me at a comparison chart showing the different
contents of BDE2006 and Delphi 2006, and also the difference between
the Architect, Enterprise and Professional versions of these.
Here's the comparison between A, E, and P:
www.borland.com/resources/en/pdf/products/delphi/bds2006_feature_
matrix.pdf
That leaves the Turbo editions. Turbo Pro is the same as BDS Pro only
you get only one language. Turbo Explorer is the same as Turbo Pro
except that you can not install components in the IDE (though you can
reference them in code) and you don't get the command-line compiler.
How to ask questions the smart way:

Re:Package Contents

Can anybody point me at a comparison chart showing the different
contents of BDE2006 and Delphi 2006, and also the difference between the
Architect, Enterprise and Professional versions of these.
I think what you want is the Feature Matrix. Go to
www.borland.com/us/products/delphi/index.html
and click on the "Feature Matrix" link on the right.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re:Package Contents

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
Turbo Explorer is the same as Turbo Pro
except that you can not install components in the IDE
At least in my copy of Turbo Explorer, the IBX components are missing.
So there seems to more limitations beside of "you can not install
components..."
PMM

Re:Package Contents

Peter Müller-Mannhardt writes:
At least in my copy of Turbo Explorer, the IBX components are missing.
Good point. ISTR that Borland intends to fix this, but it is true for
now.
Please read and follow Borland's rules for the user of their
server: support.borland.com/entry.jspa

Re:Package Contents

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
Good point. ISTR that Borland intends to fix this, but it is true for
now.
I understoond this to be a deliberate sabotage. Doesn't keep you from
using them, just not in the designer.

Re:Package Contents

Rick Carter writes:
My understanding is that Turbo Explorer only contains a subset of the
Pro components, and other things besides IBX are also missing.
They're missing from the *tool palette*. They are still there in the
installation AFAIK and can be used in code.
--
Wayne Niddery - Winwright, Inc (www.winwright.ca)
"Light is faster than sound, which is why some folks appear bright

Re:Package Contents

Rick Carter writes:
If you have a firm assurance from Borland that IBX components will be
added to Turbo Explorer in the near future, please tell us what your
source is.
I don't have a firm assurance. I thought I remembered Jeff Overcash
(primary author / maintainer of the components) telling me this. I
could easily be wrong.
AFAIK the reason they're not included in Explorer is that they are
maintained by the IB group, not the BDS group, and hence didn't get
signed like the rest of the BDS packages. This is why they're delivered
with Explorer but don't appear in the palatte.
Anyway, I will ask for clarification on this.
Useful articles about InterBase development:
blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/category/21.aspx

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
Good point. ISTR that Borland intends to fix this, but it is true
for
now.
Craig,
My understanding is that Turbo Explorer only contains a subset of the
Pro components, and other things besides IBX are also missing. Though
it's more than one month past the Turbo launch, still no Feature Matrix
or Datasheet is available.
If you have a firm assurance from Borland that IBX components will be
added to Turbo Explorer in the near future, please tell us what your
source is.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re:Package Contents

Clinton R. Johnson writes:
Uh, IBX is actually third party components at their heart, as such
they are not signed to be used in the explorer level (consitant with
policy and how they treat Indy).
That is wrong. Look at the copyright notices in the source code. IBX
is owned and maintained by Borland/DevCo, and Greg Deatz (the original
author of the Free IB components) hasn't worked on them in many years.
This is very different than Indy which is wholly produced by third
parties and is not maintained by Borland at all.
Everything You Need to Know About InterBase Character Sets:
blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/articles/403.aspx

Re:Package Contents

{ }
{ Borland Delphi Visual Component Library }
{ InterBase Express core components }
{ }
{ Copyright (c) 1998-2005 Borland Software Corporation }
{ }
{ InterBase Express is based in part on the product }
{ Free IB Components, written by Gregory H. Deatz for }
{ Hoagland, Longo, Moran, Dunst & Doukas Company. }
{ Free IB Components is used under license. }
{ }
{ Additional code created by Jeff Overcash and used }
{ with permission. }
"Free IB Components is used under license", "additional code created by
Jeff Overcash and used with permission"
You have interpreted Borland's copyright overbroadly, it only applies
to their changes to third party code. I think you will find that when it
comes to actual ownership, Borland does not have the exclusive rights
you assume.
Nick, John? How does the DTG interpret this?

Re:Package Contents

Clinton R. Johnson writes:
You have interpreted Borland's copyright overbroadly, it only applies
to their changes to third party code.
I think you will find that when it
comes to actual ownership, Borland does not have the exclusive rights
you assume.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Sorry to be blunt, but
it's not even worth responding to this. What portion of the IBX code
comes from Free IB Components? You clearly have no idea whatsoever.
Borland newsgroup denizen Sergio González has a new CD of
Irish music out, and it is good: tinyurl.com/7hgfr

Re:Package Contents

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
You have no idea what you're talking about. Sorry to be blunt, but
it's not even worth responding to this. What portion of the IBX code
comes from Free IB Components? You clearly have no idea whatsoever.
ya, you're right, actually posting the HEADERs of the IBX files are
hardly authorative sources. What was I thinking...
--

Re:Package Contents

Clinton R. Johnson writes:
ya, you're right, actually posting the HEADERs of the IBX files are
hardly authorative sources. What was I thinking...
To put this in very simple terms, posting the headers doesn't mean
that they support what you wrote about signing the packages.