Suggestion #1 for increased VCL.NET usage

2005-10-06 09:42:30 PM
delphi235
Marketing and positioning.
I know, "What marketing?"
But even within the Delphi team, the consistent message
has been that Delphi.NET is great for porting existing apps
to .NET.
I haven't heard boo from them about great reasons
for using VCL.NET over Winforms for new projects.
That makes VCL.NET seem like a dead end.
As an example, I have said, and posted, that VCL will support
Avalon and WinForms will not. Now Danny has confirmed that.
But where is the message being trumpeted from Borland
that if you want to be developing for the future, you need to
be using VCL.NET?
I didn't hear that once at the conference last year, even though
I was listening for it, and nothing has changed since.
--
Brad.
Vote for CodeRush in future versions of Delphi

Re:Suggestion #1 for increased VCL.NET usage

That makes VCL.NET seem like a dead end.

Actually, it is. Even if some of the so called "believers" will bash on
this POV.
VCL.Net means compatibility to old code, so it is a long term dead end...
What is the point in writing code for a VM and then dodge around the
managed UI Layer exposed by this VM? Leaving you without any of it's
direct/indirect/future features (interfaced based design time support,
CAS, DataBinding, portability)
That'd be like using native VCL from Java...

As an example, I have said, and posted, that VCL will support
Avalon and WinForms will not. Now Danny has confirmed that.
But where is the message being trumpeted from Borland
that if you want to be developing for the future, you need to
be using VCL.NET?

Ever used SWF 2.0 and Avalon? Have you noticed, that the code file for
custom eventhandlers doesn't look that different between the two?
Avalon even can handle SWF controls[1], I don't see a big pain in the
migration SWF2->WPF.
After all it is just UI anyway, you'd propably hire some professional
Sparcle designer to create a sophisticated WPF UI.
[1]at least it could back in 2004(last time I saw this)