Updates for D2005 PE! When will it be available?

2005-05-04 10:18:17 PM
delphi239
There's also a lot of bugs in the personal version of Delphi 2005!
We need updates for this version too.
Can we use Architect,Pro,Enterprise updates for the personal version?
Anyone?

Re:Updates for D2005 PE! When will it be available?

Hi!
Robert W.Blennerhed writes:
There's also a lot of bugs in the personal version of Delphi 2005!
Really?
We need updates for this version too.
I don't believe there will be any updates for this version.
Can we use Architect,Pro,Enterprise updates for the personal version?
No.
Greetings from Cologne
Robert

Re:Updates for D2005 PE! When will it be available?

>We need updates for this version too.

I don't believe there will be any updates for this version.
This is to convice you that Delphi 2005 is a full pot of bugs, along
with some Delphi developping features, and be shure that what you're
experimenting with PE is the same with non-free editions. Only the pot
is bigger, so it contains more bugs. Personnaly, after experimenting
D2005Pro, I have banned Delphi from my projects and developpers working
with me are strongly advised to go away from it.
Also, I have banned Borland product in other languages than english. With
non english version, you're getting updates several months after english
users.
Chris

Re:Updates for D2005 PE! When will it be available?

"Robert Wachtel" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
<snip>
I don't believe there will be any updates for this version.
I STRONGLY doubt this. Not only would it, AFAIK, be a first, it would also make PE users not want to upgrade Delphi later on, considering how there are appearantly so many bugs.
Besides, those users paid money too - not as much as users of other versions, but their license is also strongly restricted in comparison to the other versions. If Borland doesn't want to fix PE, they shouldn't have started selling it, particularly since those same users might choose to switch to one of the free and far less restrictive Pascal/Delphi alternatives.
Michael Madsen

"Michael Madsen" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

"Robert Wachtel" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
<snip>
>I don't believe there will be any updates for this version.

I STRONGLY doubt this. Not only would it, AFAIK, be a first,
Right or wrong, it wouldn't be a first. It would be consistent
which the magazine promotion copies of Delphi 7 Personal, and
the free download version of C#Builder 1.
Besides, those users paid money too
Huh? AFAIK, only promotional copies of D2005 Personal are
being made availiable -- passed out to conference attendees,
bundled with magazines, etc.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re:Updates for D2005 PE! When will it be available?

I stand corrected - I was under the impression D2K5 PE was sold like Delphi 7 was.
And even then, I only just found out they limited Delphi 7 updates like so.
I can not help but wonder what caused that change, though.
D6 Personal was available as a free download from Borland - with updates.
Michael Madsen
"Rick Carter" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

"Michael Madsen" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

>"Robert Wachtel" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
><snip>
>>I don't believe there will be any updates for this version.
>
>I STRONGLY doubt this. Not only would it, AFAIK, be a first,

Right or wrong, it wouldn't be a first. It would be consistent
which the magazine promotion copies of Delphi 7 Personal, and
the free download version of C#Builder 1.

>Besides, those users paid money too

Huh? AFAIK, only promotional copies of D2005 Personal are
being made availiable -- passed out to conference attendees,
bundled with magazines, etc.

Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re:Updates for D2005 PE! When will it be available?

"Michael Madsen" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
I stand corrected - I was under the impression D2K5 PE was sold like Delphi 7 was.
And even then, I only just found out they limited Delphi 7 updates like so.

I can not help but wonder what caused that change, though.
D6 Personal was available as a free download from Borland - with updates.
Yes, and it was great while it lasted. Unfortunately, Borland
management reached the conclusion that it was reducing the
sales of Pro and Enterprise, rather than drawing in new customers
who would buy Pro or above.
Michael Swindell posed recently to b.p.d.non-technical that
he hopes to reintroduce free or inexpensive versions of Delphi
for hobbyists and others who are looking to explore Delphi
without a large cash outlay. It can be a real trick to do this
well without reducing the company revenues, but we can hope that
they come up with something that works.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re:Updates for D2005 PE! When will it be available?

Surely if having a personal edition reduces the sales of the pro and
enterprise versions, then perhaps the focus of the pro and enterprise
editions isn't what many of Borland's customers are looking for?
Shouldn't Borland be worried about that? Okay, I know that there will
always be dishonest people who will use free tools rather than paying
for the legal ones, but most people would be happy to pay for an
affordable tool that fits all their needs.
I have just installed Delphi 2005 PE, and am frustrated by the lack of
useful features. Although having been a Delphi standard and Personal
developer for 9 years, I ought to be used to it by now, I am still
frustrated by the fact that there is no class completion or basic
database features. This would be fine if there was a "Standard Edition"
which included these features. But there isn't one any more and I can't
afford ?00-800 for a copy of Delphi Pro.
Borland produced a world class product when it released Delphi version
1. Microsoft had nothing that could touch it for 6 years. Visual Basic
was a joke until the release of .NET. However they have lost their once
unassailable lead. From my point of view (which to be fair is slanted
the way of the hobbyist developer) Borland spent far too much time
adding new enterprise databasing features, and not enough time working
on the features that made Delphi an exceptional tool for creating
desktop apps.
Sadly things are going the other way. The Microsoft .NET offerings are
now far superior to Borland's flagship product and the pricing is far
more competitive. I don't see much of a future for Borland on Microsoft
platforms, which is a trememdous shame.
Delphi is still a first class Win32 tool, but a second rate .NET
environment, and that is so very disappointing.
I have used Delphi since version 1, and I am going to migrate most of my
hobby development to the standard edition of Visual Studio 2005 when it
is released.
I sincerely hope Borland proves me wrong with the next release and does
something really special. But I am not waiting to find out.