Re: If new DevCo builds a new Delphi from scratch?

2006-07-19 12:04:48 AM
delphi282
John Kaster (Borland/DevCo) writes:

FTR, the "fiasco" for C++BuilderX was lack of commitment from Borland.
C++BuilderX was just starting to look really good when Borland shelved
it.

I note a hint of separation from Borland in your email. You guys really
are starting to think of yourselves as separate entity! I might be
inclined to believe that the separation has already ocurred and that the
parties involved are merely waiting for the appropriate fiscal time to
announce.
Of course I suppose you can not respond to this... :-)
Mark

Re: If new DevCo builds a new Delphi from scratch?

In article <44bcfdf8$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
"John Kaster (Borland/DevCo)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
FTR, the "fiasco" for C++BuilderX was lack of commitment from Borland.
C++BuilderX was just starting to look really good when Borland shelved
it.
Also FTR, I still use it for features that haven't been implemented
in BDS. Source formatting, doing compares on arbitrary files, and having
console output in a message window are all great features that should
eventually make it to BDS.
--
-David
Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?

Re: If new DevCo builds a new Delphi from scratch?

Alan Garny writes:
Anyway, I'd imagine they are pleased now with BCB2006.
Yes, they seem to be, for the most part. We plan to continue that trend
;)
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re: If new DevCo builds a new Delphi from scratch?

mr_organic writes:
I really was starting to like C++Builder X; I liked it (and
continue to like it) better than Eclipse with the CDE plugin. it is a
shame Borland punted it -- from a C++/C programmer's standpoing, it
was head and shoulders above BDS 2006 in lots of ways.
The code and rights to C++BuilderX are coming with DevCo, so we still
have an option to explore the cross-platform/Ansi C/C++ market with an
excellent starting base as "DevCo."
--

Mark A. Andrews writes:
I note a hint of separation from Borland in your email.
Whether we're separated or not, it was the Borland management at the
time that froze C++BuilderX development. The team working on it didn't
want to, of course. Who wants to see their products shelved?
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it is not here, it is not happening: ec.borland.com

Re: If new DevCo builds a new Delphi from scratch?

I.P. Nichols writes:
Just ask Joe Mayo who got conned into writing a book about it titled
C#Builder Kick Start.
No one from Borland "conned" Joe into doing anything. You are implying
that Borland misled Joe in some way about C#Builder. Please clarify
your statement, or retract it. TIA.
--

I.P. Nichols writes:
"Jon Robertson" writes:
>I.P. Nichols writes:
>
>>How quickly we forget C#Builder. ;-)
>
>Did anyone develop products with C#Builder? I thought it was just a beta
>test for the new IDE... :D

Just ask Joe Mayo who got conned into writing a book about it titled
C#Builder Kick Start.

Heck it just might become a rare book item, Amazon used books list it as
"***BRAND NEW - NEVER USED***" for $1.09<g>
I have a signed copy from the BorCon where C# Builder debuted. Sitting
right here on my bookshelf.
--
-Brion
There's no such thing as 'one, true way;'

Re: If new DevCo builds a new Delphi from scratch?

And it is not at all a clear and done case to Delphi management team
that this is the case. We might all be stuck with the current product
quality
or worse...

I still hear Allens Bauers statement ringing in my ear:
"All software have bugs... "

Ohhh.... God.... Which QC's? I bet they are a few thousand filed
by now... <G>
You're quoting me out of context, which is a gross mischaracterization of
what I said. I would rather you link to the whole statement rather than try and
paraphrase. For the record, nobody here likes the current state of affairs
and are doing all we can to change things as we break away from the
quarter-by-quarter release driven train.
--
Allen Bauer
DevCo Chief Scientist

I.P. Nichols writes:

>Just ask Joe Mayo who got conned into writing a book about it titled
>C#Builder Kick Start.

No one from Borland "conned" Joe into doing anything. You are implying
that Borland misled Joe in some way about C#Builder. Please clarify
your statement, or retract it. TIA.
John, I didn't imply anything except his book was short lived and you are
jumping to conclusions since I never said Borland "conned" Joe or Borland
mislead him. Furthermore I have no idea of the relationship, if any,
between Borland and Joe when he first decided to write the book or anytime
there after.

Re: If new DevCo builds a new Delphi from scratch?

In article <44bd0879$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
"John Kaster (Borland/DevCo)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
I'm guessing they're already in QC?
Yes:
<qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx>
<qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx>
OK, I thought they all were in QC, well the third one is now as well:
<qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx>
--
-David
Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?

Re: If new DevCo builds a new Delphi from scratch?

I agree with Rick . . .
The only thing that needs reworking is the VCL.
Rick Carter writes:
>>......... and build it around Visual Studio or make it cross-
compatible
>>with different platforms (neither of which Delphi will ever do without
>>starting again).

>Agree.

Disagree completely. Rebuilding Delphi completely from scrach would
mean years before they would be ready to market anyting close to what
we have now, and years later before they would be able to add anything
new. Plus, new bugs would be introduced and need to be fixed.
www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html

The Delphi team already has laid the groundwork to make Delphi cross-
compatible with another platform; have you forgotten Kylix? I fail to
see how making Delphi a VS plug-in will enable it to support other
platforms; when MS talks about "cross-platform," it is obvious they're
just talking about different versions of Windows.

Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Thomas Miller
Chrome Portal Project Manager
CPCUG Programmers SIG Chairperson (formally Delphi)
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software
BSS Enterprise Accounting FrameWork
www.bss-software.com
programmers.cpcug.org/
sourceforge.net/projects/chromeportal/
sourceforge.net/projects/uopl/
sourceforge.net/projects/dbexpressplus

Re: If new DevCo builds a new Delphi from scratch?

LOL!!
Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software] writes:
>What features would you like to see or change?

Management.

--
Thomas Miller
Chrome Portal Project Manager
CPCUG Programmers SIG Chairperson (formally Delphi)
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software
BSS Enterprise Accounting FrameWork
www.bss-software.com
programmers.cpcug.org/
sourceforge.net/projects/chromeportal/
sourceforge.net/projects/uopl/
sourceforge.net/projects/dbexpressplus

Re: If new DevCo builds a new Delphi from scratch?

Update VCL, backwards compatibility be damned.
Unicode, 64bit, full required name spacing, QT version, wxWindow
version, native Mac Version, plugable compiler and de{*word*81}.
BDS2006 with all the patches is reasonably stable. I can be just as
productive as when I am using VS2005. Would I like to see it as good as
the Delphi 7 IDE, yes, but the real thing hurting Delphi is the VCL.
Chester writes:
What features would you like to see or change?

--
Thomas Miller
Chrome Portal Project Manager
CPCUG Programmers SIG Chairperson (formally Delphi)
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software
BSS Enterprise Accounting FrameWork
www.bss-software.com
programmers.cpcug.org/
sourceforge.net/projects/chromeportal/
sourceforge.net/projects/uopl/
sourceforge.net/projects/dbexpressplus

Re: If new DevCo builds a new Delphi from scratch?

I concur with several of Thomas's ideas-
Unicode, native MacOS code
but also-
Linux compatibility (as long as we're wishing) and a profiler in
the IDE (which seems doable).
I must say the VCL seems okay to me, but pwerhaps I am not very
demanding.
- Steve
Thomas Miller writes:
Update VCL, backwards compatibility be damned.

Unicode, 64bit, full required name spacing, QT version, wxWindow
version, native Mac Version, plugable compiler and de{*word*81}.

BDS2006 with all the patches is reasonably stable. I can be just as
productive as when I am using VS2005. Would I like to see it as good as
the Delphi 7 IDE, yes, but the real thing hurting Delphi is the VCL.

Re: If new DevCo builds a new Delphi from scratch?

"John Kaster (Borland/DevCo)" writes:
>I.P. Nichols writes:
>>Just ask Joe Mayo who got conned into writing a book about it titled
>>C#Builder Kick Start.
>
>No one from Borland "conned" Joe into doing anything. You are implying
>that Borland misled Joe in some way about C#Builder. Please clarify
>your statement, or retract it. TIA.

John, I didn't imply anything except his book was short lived and you
are
jumping to conclusions since I never said Borland "conned" Joe or
Borland
mislead him. Furthermore I have no idea of the relationship, if any,
between Borland and Joe when he first decided to write the book or
anytime
there after.
I.P., your own quote is there at the top where you say that Joe Mayo
"got conned into writing a book." So just who do you think "conned"
him?
There's a risk in writing a book for a new product which may or may not
take off in the marketplace; ask Jon Shemitz how much he earned from his
Kylix book. But I don't think anyone set out to deceive Joe Mayo or Jon
Shemitz, or made false promises to them.
FWIW, John Kaster has also contributed to several well-written books
which have not done much to make him rich or famous. :)
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM