D2005 Personal

2005-05-10 11:13:05 PM
delphi262
Yesterday I received my copy of Delphi 2005 Personal ordered from PC Pro
magazine. I have to compliment them on their great service - they
shipped me a DVD all the way from the UK, chock full of goodies for
something like $5.00 or so. What a deal!
I haven't had the chance to play with it much yet but am trying to get
acclimated to the new look and feel. I know that I hate the 'new' IDE
and am glad I can get it more or less back to the 'classic' layout I am
used to. As an old dog, I really can not handle too many new tricks all
at once. If it was up to me, we'd all be using good old DOS 6.22 (or
M/PM, a real man's multi-tasking/multi-user text based O/S). After all,
it took me about a year to learn to love the old D3 IDE with the jumble
of forms and windows all over the screen. I believe that the confusing
profusion of windows on my screen is the only reason my boss keeps me
employed - as a lawyer, he is mystified that anyone can make any sense
out of it and must equate untidiness with genius.
After running the obligatory 'Hello World' just to see how spritely
D2005 would be in a mere 512MB of RAM, I decided to be bold and see what
would happen if I started an ASP .NET project. Naturally, the result
was a Blue Screen of death and the unmistakable aroma of smoke from my
hard disk. I have .NET 1.1 on my system. Am I to take it that I need
to go back to .NET 1.0 to get D2005 from self destructing in .NET mode?
Mark J. Wallin, Ph.D.

Re:D2005 Personal

Mark J. Wallin writes:
After running the obligatory 'Hello World' just to see how spritely
D2005 would be in a mere 512MB of RAM, I decided to be bold and see what
would happen if I started an ASP .NET project. Naturally, the result
was a Blue Screen of death and the unmistakable aroma of smoke from my
hard disk. I have .NET 1.1 on my system. Am I to take it that I need
to go back to .NET 1.0 to get D2005 from self destructing in .NET mode?
No, D2005 runs with v1.1.
Try running
ASPNET_REGIIS -i
from
$(WINDOWS)\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\
folder.
LP,
Dejan

Re:D2005 Personal

Hi Mark,
After running the obligatory 'Hello World' just to see how spritely
D2005 would be in a mere 512MB of RAM, I decided to be bold and see what
would happen if I started an ASP .NET project. Naturally, the result
was a Blue Screen of death and the unmistakable aroma of smoke from my
hard disk. I have .NET 1.1 on my system. Am I to take it that I need
to go back to .NET 1.0 to get D2005 from self destructing in .NET mode?
No, Delphi 2005 supports .NET 1.1 (and not .NET 1.0). The cause of your
problem must lie somewhere else.
Mark J. Wallin, Ph.D.
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) - Borland Technology Partner
Delphi 2005 PDF manuals available from www.drbob42.com/training

Re:D2005 Personal

Mark J. Wallin writes:
hard disk. I have .NET 1.1 on my system. Am I to take it that I need
to go back to .NET 1.0 to get D2005 from self destructing in .NET mode?
IIRC, Delphi 2005 works with .NET 1.1 and only .NET 1.1.
-Brion

Re:D2005 Personal

I decided to be bold and see what
would happen if I started an ASP .NET project.
Naturally, the result was a Blue Screen of death
I don't get the smoke smell, but every Galileo-based IDE from C#Builder
onwards has had the same effect on my machine. You will probably find
that just trying to open an HTML file in the IDE causes the problem
(weird since I thought the welcome screen was HTML, but there you go).
There is a rare but real problem somewhere.
I know one other bloke who had the same problem on one of his machines.
Going to a clean install of the OS fixed the problem, so it is some
update or other software install that is breaking things.
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Tabdee Ltd www.tabdee.ltd.uk
TurboSync - Connecting Delphi to your Palm

Re:D2005 Personal

Bob Swart writes:
Hi Mark,

>After running the obligatory 'Hello World' just to see how spritely
>D2005 would be in a mere 512MB of RAM, I decided to be bold and see what
>would happen if I started an ASP .NET project. Naturally, the result
>was a Blue Screen of death and the unmistakable aroma of smoke from my
>hard disk. I have .NET 1.1 on my system. Am I to take it that I need
>to go back to .NET 1.0 to get D2005 from self destructing in .NET mode?

No, Delphi 2005 supports .NET 1.1 (and not .NET 1.0). The cause of your
problem must lie somewhere else.

>Mark J. Wallin, Ph.D.

Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)

Thanks Bob but that is not the answer I was hoping for. I assume you
mean that the Personal version of D2205 supports .NET 1.1 like the other
versions.
Other than currently having only 512MB of RAM, I not sure here to start
looking for the problem, given that the Blue screen doesn't give me
anything to go on - upon selection the new ASP project, the machine
reboots itself and starts doing a memory dump. I am not getting any kind
of usable message. I don't know if the memory dump will help in
pinpointing the problem. I have the usual jumble of applications that
have been installed, uninstalled and updated over the years so no doubt
my Windows installation is in the normal state of incomprehensibility.
Short of reinstalling Windows from scratch (and life is too short for
that!) is there any debug mode that can be turned on in the D2005 IDE
that would provide a clue where the crash is occurring?
My system is a relatively new (< 6 months old) AMD Athlon 2900 (Barton)
on a Chaintech motherboard and a new Seagate hard disk, but one never
knows if there is a bios problem. This particular machine absolutely
refuses to recognize a second DVD drive which my old motherboard had no
problems with so anything is possible. My daughter's new PC (an Athlon
64 in an ECS Motherboard) does not recognize internal Zip drives and the
manufacturer just shrugged their shoulders.
Mark J. Wallin, Ph.D.

Re:D2005 Personal

Jim Cooper writes:
I don't get the smoke smell, but every Galileo-based IDE from C#Builder
onwards has had the same effect on my machine. You will probably find
that just trying to open an HTML file in the IDE causes the problem
(weird since I thought the welcome screen was HTML, but there you go).
There is a rare but real problem somewhere.

I know one other bloke who had the same problem on one of his machines.
Going to a clean install of the OS fixed the problem, so it is some
update or other software install that is breaking things.
I didn't want to hear that either. I guess I haven't reinstalled
Windows in a couple of weeks so it must be time. Linux is starting to
look better and better.
Isn't one of the benefits of .NET supposed to be an end to 'DLL Hell' or
is that wishful thinking?
I can still play with the non-.NET part of D2005 but as stripped down
as it is, I really can not see any great improvement over the D5 or D7
that I am already using.
I just tried to run my old Delphi 8 installation (via my VPN to my home
machine) and upon trying to create an ASP project, I got the following
error message "IIS or ADSI do not appear to be properly installed.
Virtual Root WebApplication1 must be created manually for program to
run" and asks if you want to continue. I let it continue and apparently
it must have crashed my machine as my VPN connection was severed. I am
certain I don't have the IIS or ADSI (whatever it is) installed. Are
these require? The Personal edition gave me no warnings before crashing.
Mark J. Wallin, Ph.D.

Re:D2005 Personal

I didn't want to hear that either.
Sorry :-)
I guess I haven't reinstalled
Windows in a couple of weeks so it must be time.
If you seriously are going to do that, install Delphi first, then keep
track of when it starts to fail. What ever you last installed might be
the culprit.
Isn't one of the benefits of .NET supposed to be an end to 'DLL Hell' or
is that wishful thinking?
It's not specifically a .NET thing. I can create ASP.NET projects in VS
just fine.
Are these require?
You need some sort of web server to run ASP.NET apps, yes
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Tabdee Ltd www.tabdee.ltd.uk
TurboSync - Connecting Delphi to your Palm

Re:D2005 Personal

>Are these required?
Actually, what I meant to ask was: are IIS and ADSI required in order to
avoid crashing D2005 when attempting to create an ASP project? I
wouldn't think so but my ignorance of web programming in general and
D2005 .NET in particular is quite all encompassing.
Mark J. Wallin, Ph.D.

Re:D2005 Personal

g'day Mark,
re:
on a Chaintech motherboard and a new Seagate hard disk, but one never
^^^^^^^^^
knows if there is a bios problem. This particular machine absolutely
refuses to recognize a second DVD drive which my old motherboard had no
problems with so anything is possible. My daughter's new PC (an Athlon
64 in an ECS Motherboard) does not recognize internal Zip drives and the
^^^
they may not the origin of your problems, but your motherboards are not exactly
high quality. suggest you stick to better quality brands like ASUS, Gigabyte,
MSI, and some others. similarly with power supplies and RAM. cheap kit costs you
time and money - its actually cheaper in the long run to get quality kit. while
you most likely are not interested in overclocking, a board that overclocks well
has to be made with better quality components - and is hence more reliable.
cheers,
Mat

Re:D2005 Personal

Mat Ballard writes:
g'day Mark,

re:

>on a Chaintech motherboard and a new Seagate hard disk, but one never

^^^^^^^^^

>knows if there is a bios problem. This particular machine absolutely
>refuses to recognize a second DVD drive which my old motherboard had no
>problems with so anything is possible. My daughter's new PC (an Athlon
>64 in an ECS Motherboard) does not recognize internal Zip drives and the

^^^

they may not the origin of your problems, but your motherboards are not
exactly high quality. suggest you stick to better quality brands like
ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, and some others. similarly with power supplies and
RAM. cheap kit costs you time and money - its actually cheaper in the
long run to get quality kit. while you most likely are not interested in
overclocking, a board that overclocks well has to be made with better
quality components - and is hence more reliable.

cheers,

Mat
I can not argue with your rating of Chaintech and ECS as 'cheap' but over
the years, I have used just about every brand of motherboard made and had
problems with a lot of them at one time or another. I have had MSI,
Gigabyte and ASUS boards go bad after a relatively short life. The low
end boards from even the better manufacturers you mentioned are not
without fault. But this is the first time I have had 'cheap' motherboards
with these kinds of hardware recognition problems. Could be its the
China vs. Taiwan factor - the cheapest motherboards now seem to be those
made in China and they may at this point in time be less well engineered
than the comparable Taiwanese motherboards but I expect they will
eventually catch up in quality.
When I bought the ECS for my daughter a few months ago as an emergency
replacement of a failed board, I decided to go with the new Athlon chip,
but there weren't a lot of choices for the Athlon 64 at the time and the
specs for the Chaintech board looked very good.
If I had an unlimited budget, I'd certainly buy boards like those
made by Tyan. I purchased a Tyan system with dual Cpu's for a server at
work but it is a bit pricey for home use - about three times the cost of
the low end boards. Still, that is dirt cheap compared to those early
8MHz 286 boards. I remember paying $400 - 600 for the earliest boards
back in those ancient days (with the dollar worth over twice what it is
now).
Mark J. Wallin, Ph.D.

Re:D2005 Personal

Mark J. Wallin writes:

After running the obligatory 'Hello World' just to see how spritely
D2005 would be in a mere 512MB of RAM, I decided to be bold and see what
would happen if I started an ASP .NET project. Naturally, the result
was a Blue Screen of death and the unmistakable aroma of smoke from my
hard disk. I have .NET 1.1 on my system. Am I to take it that I need
to go back to .NET 1.0 to get D2005 from self destructing in .NET mode?

Mark J. Wallin, Ph.D.
Just as a reply to myself in case anybody is interested. I installed
D2005 Personal on my office machine just to see if I'd have the same
problem with ASP .NET. This time, I carefully read the message
displayed in the installation package and uninstalled .NET completely,
installed the IIS package, reinstalled .NET and the SDK, updated
everything via Windows update, and installed D2005 Personal. This time,
when I started up an ASP .NET project, there was no blue screen. I
still need to figure out what caused this on my home PC but apparently
it was something about my Windows configuration. I will do the
uninstall/reinstall .NET/IIS and see if that fixes things.
I suspect that a significant proportion (not all, of course) of the
problems observed by various people with D2005 are related to something
particular to their Windows setup. Otherwise, why would there be so
many "...dunno, it works great for me" responses. That is the still the
biggest problem with the whole MS Windows thing - there are probably no
two PC's on this planet (I don't know about the versions of Windows they
sell on other planets) that are completely identical in configuration,
what with all of the different hardware, drivers, bioses, etc, even if
you don't install anything but the O/S. Makes the job of tech support
people really fun and poor Borland gets the entire blame for putting out
'shoddy' software.
Mark J. Wallin, Ph.D.

Re:D2005 Personal

I suspect that a significant proportion (not all, of course) of the
problems observed by various people with D2005 are related to something
particular to their Windows setup.
The ASP.NET BSOD definitely is. Trouble is that it is rare. I've
personally met one other person with the problem, and there've been 2 or
3 other reports here. I think Borland really need a machine where it
happens in order to track it down.
If you ever find what caused the problem, please post it here :-)