Re: Actually I am a little bit disappointed...

2004-10-06 09:19:18 PM
delphi248
Michael Anonymous writes:
>Yeah, but not from hers. <g>

That's right. :-)
You don't have to read her mind. She already said what she meant.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing."

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:

>Then again,
>I could have been interpreting her words correctly from my point of
>view.

Yeah, but not from hers. <g>

That's right. :-)
I'm not sure I can read her mind from this location.
I prefer to use usenet.

Re: Actually I am a little bit disappointed...

And I was wondering why people were assuming her IF statement was a
fact.
Because in that context it reads as one to a native English speaker.
"If I promised to do X, then I will do X" should not be treated as a
logical conditional :-) It is simply saying "I promised to do X" in a
more long-winded way (sorry Joanna!) :-)
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Falafel Software www.falafelsoft.co.uk

Re: Actually I am a little bit disappointed...

"Mike Swaim" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Yes. Windows On Windows. It was essentially an emulation of Win16
that MS bought from someone else.
Hey, do you also remember the win32s thunking API thingy that let 16-bit
apps run 32 bit code in 16 bit Windows? The idea was that you could use a
common code base to support both 16 bit and 32 bit, ie, call the Win32 API.
It would "thunk" the calls to equivalent Win16 API code. I never actually
used it but I remember hearing that it was "incomplete" (well, Duh!).

>Yes. Windows On Windows. It was essentially an emulation of Win16
>that MS bought from someone else.

Hey, do you also remember the win32s thunking API thingy that let
16-bit apps run 32 bit code in 16 bit Windows?
Vaguely.
The idea was that you
could use a common code base to support both 16 bit and 32 bit, ie,
call the Win32 API. It would "thunk" the calls to equivalent Win16
API code. I never actually used it but I remember hearing that it was
"incomplete" (well, Duh!).
Well, yeah. All I really remember about it was that I could run
freecell.
Boy am I glad those days are over. No more tweaking
config.sys/autoexec.bat to get everything to load. No more worrying
about libraries clobbering each other's WinSock sessions. (Yes, if you
were doing something else involving TCP/IP, you could kill your
database connection.) No more stupid "No available memory" errors
because a DLL had loaded in your lower 640K of memory. (We had a custom
DLL loader to force DLLs into high memory.) No more having to reinstall
Windows because the MS TCP/IP stack just stopped working. No more
custom boot floppies with the only configuration that would give you
enough memory to run games.
Good riddance.
--
Mike Swaim XXXX@XXXXX.COM at home | Quote: "Boingie"^4 Y,W & D
MD Anderson Dept. of Biostatistics & Applied Mathematics

Re: Actually I am a little bit disappointed...

Mike Swaim writes:
Good riddance.
You're not the least bit bitter. :D
Will
--
Want a 64-bit Delphi compiler for AMD64 / IA-32e? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details