Re: Face lift for Delphi Apps

2004-09-15 11:23:49 AM
delphi64
What is the problem with the standard look? As long as you offer to your
clients the functionality that they need, they should concentrate on their
respective businesses and not waste their time and yours with cosmetic
issues.
A utopian view, I am afraid...

Re: Face lift for Delphi Apps

Alvaro GP writes:
>If I want to continue to have their business, I won't dictate to
>them what they should or should not worry about.
If you want to continue to have their business, you only have to make
well your application. You aren't going to lose them only because
your app have a standard look.
If their specification calls for a particular look and feel, then that
is what I have to produce. If I don't deliver what the client is paying
for, I *will* lose their business.
--
Eric Schreiber
Kobayashi Software

Re: Face lift for Delphi Apps

Bob writes:
Their quality is very good, even with
version 1 products.
I would say (devexpress),
Quality = good;
Documentation = {*word*99};
Support = excellent;
Overhead = significant; (all or nothing)
Ability to extend controls = frustrating
Haven't used tms so I can not comment.
--
JED, QC - Win32 Client for Quality Central:
www.alphalink.com.au/~jed/QC/

Re: Face lift for Delphi Apps

"Bob_M" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
thanks for the reply. I just started looking at
www.tmssoftware.com/. Are they just as good as
www.devexpress.com/
DevExpress for Win32 and for .NET - there is no comparison for
bang-for-the-buck.
-Johnnie

Re: Face lift for Delphi Apps

JED writes:

Quality = good;
Documentation = {*word*99};
Support = excellent;
Overhead = significant; (all or nothing)
Ability to extend controls = frustrating
Another plus point, their source code is relatively easy to read
compared with some 3rd party components that I knew. Understanding 3rd
parry VCL often hard, but My experience stepping through devex code has
been pleasant.
Wien.

Re: Face lift for Delphi Apps

>If I want to continue to have their business, I won't dictate to them
>what they should or should not worry about.

If you want to continue to have their business, you only have to make well
your application. You aren't going to lose them only because your app have
standard look.
Exactly. I would say the "standard look" is a Plus.
Changing your app to look like a {*word*99}py webpage sounds "odd" to me.
--
With regards,
Martijn Tonies

Re: Face lift for Delphi Apps

Martijn Tonies writes:
Exactly. I would say the "standard look" is a Plus.

Changing your app to look like a {*word*99}py webpage sounds "odd" to me.
Especially since webpages differ wildly in their looks, appearance and
functionality. Not saying I wouldn't do it if asked by an employer,
but I would definitely bring up reservations about doing it.
Will
--
Want a 64-bit Delphi compiler for AMD64 / IA-32e? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details

Re: Face lift for Delphi Apps

Changing your app to look like a {*word*99}py webpage sounds "odd" to me.
I don't know. If it reduces training time it would be worth it. I some one
VB application that looked so much like a web page, that several people
thought it was, and said how easy it looked to use. They were surprised
when I pointed out it wasn't a web app.
Oliver Townshend

Re: Face lift for Delphi Apps

If you want to continue to have their business, you only have to make well
your application. You aren't going to lose them only because your app have
standard look.
Personally, part of the pride I take in my work is having an application
that looks good. Sometimes I don't deliver what I want, but its always an
important goal. And the nice thing about the Devexpress components is how
easy it is to do.
Oliver Townshend

Re: Face lift for Delphi Apps

Alvaro GP writes:
>If I want to continue to have their business, I won't dictate to them
>what they should or should not worry about.

If you want to continue to have their business, you only have to make well
your application. You aren't going to lose them only because your app have a
standard look.

A large part of keeping the business is making sure that the client is
happy in every way possible. You may have written the best application
there is but annoys the client no end that the UI looks dated then they
will look somewhere who can provide a more 'modern' look. I know it
sounds crazy but a lot of users out there let their emotions play a big
part on how they perceive/use the software.
We can make comments that it does not really matter how it looks as long
as the application does what it is supposed to do but to the user both
are equally important.
--
Cheers,
Phillip Flores

Re: Face lift for Delphi Apps

>Changing your app to look like a {*word*99}py webpage sounds "odd" to me.

I don't know. If it reduces training time it would be worth it. I some
one
VB application that looked so much like a web page, that several people
thought it was, and said how easy it looked to use. They were surprised
when I pointed out it wasn't a web app.
Since when is "ease of use" a result of "looks like a webpage"?
I don't have any doubt that many applications can be created
better and made to be easier to use/reduce training, but IMO,
this doesn't have anything to do with how it looks perse.
--
With regards,
Martijn Tonies

Re: Face lift for Delphi Apps

"Martijn Tonies" <m.tonies@upscene!nospam!.com>wrote in news:41485de7$1
@newsgroups.borland.com:

Since when is "ease of use" a result of "looks like a webpage"?

Since the customer is used to this UI. Everything else is our problem.
regards
--
Yannis Kozikopoulos

Re: Face lift for Delphi Apps

One thing that might work is to skin the application. Some of my users had
the same complaint about "bland" applications. So I dropped VCLSkin on the
form, put in a few skins, and now the users think it is a whole new
application. Function, layout, all the same - but the user's perception is
that it is totally new. (Personally, I think the user's perception is based
on the wrong criteria - they're concerned about look and feel, I am concerned
about function and usability. But you can not argue much when the customer is
the one paying...)
I've heard that SUISkin also does something similar to VCLSkin. Both of
these components work without having to replace all existing components with
a skinned counter-part component, so they are very quick to implement.
Also, both components are supposed to have some capabilities to skin
3rdparty applications, which is very useful.
Jason
"Bob_M" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

We use Delphi 7 here for our custom apps. Although I really like the
Delphi
my clients are complaining the apps look dated. Since our apps use the
standard Windows controls they all look the APPS in MS office or other
general Windows applications. What they want is something that looks more
like a WEB page. Is that possible, or can you point me a direction of 3rd
part tools that can help. I'd really like to stick with Delphi.

Thanks Bob

Re: Face lift for Delphi Apps

<snip>I was *not* going to let a lime green, red or
yellow form into this app.
I like the image of a feral TTastelessForm lurking in the bushes stalking
innocent TApplications to find a potential new host organism... In my case
it has an accomplice: a particularly virulent EventHandler that preyed on
passing keystrokes and excreted ALL CAPS...
JleC

Re: Face lift for Delphi Apps

Since when is "ease of use" a result of "looks like a webpage"?
I don't see why it can not be. And the people in the situation I described
certainly thought it did.
I don't have any doubt that many applications can be created
better and made to be easier to use/reduce training, but IMO,
this doesn't have anything to do with how it looks perse.
Nothing at all? I find it very easy to disagree with your statement. How
it looks generally has something to do with ease of use, although both are
subjective terms.
Oliver Townshend