Re: [OT] Jake the Linux-phobe (was: Delphi Bugs)

Iman L Crawford writes:
IMO, people tend to confuse "what I am used to" with "ease of use".
That's a really good point.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re: [OT] Jake the Linux-phobe (was: Delphi Bugs)

I had a friend show me something I thought was very cool. You could
use the mouse trackball to scroll through an unfocused window. I can't
tell you how many times I could have used that feature. it is nice not
to have to change focus in order to see the contents in a window that
sits behind the one you're working on.
- x
--
Xavier Pacheco
President, Consultant

Re: [OT] Jake the Linux-phobe (was: Delphi Bugs)

Iman L Crawford <>writes <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
"Captain Jake" <johnjac76[nospam]@comcast.net>wrote in news:410cf14c$1
@newsgroups.borland.com:
>The installation was better, but
>the end result was still too far from the ease of use of Windows

IMO, people tend to confuse "what I am used to" with "ease of use".
I was referring to how easy it is to set something, when you don't already know
how to do it.
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.3.225

Re: [OT] Jake the Linux-phobe (was: Delphi Bugs)

"Captain Jake" <johnjac76[nospam]@comcast.net>wrote in
I was referring to how easy it is to set something, when you don't
already know how to do it.
Things are easy in windows because you know where to look to do
configuration. You've been doing for years. Use linux for as long as
you've used Windows and then you can make a claim about ease of use.
--
Iman

Re: [OT] Jake the Linux-phobe (was: Delphi Bugs)

Derek Davidson in <410ed2d3$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
No, no. Wouldn't dream of it. I love this sort of research :-)
Thank you for admitting my guesstimate is reasonably accurate.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
BorCon2004, all info in one place! info.borland.com/conf2004

Xavier Pacheco in <410faa7b$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
use the mouse trackball to scroll through an unfocused window. I
can't tell you how many times I could have used that feature.
FWIW, there are some mouse drivers for Windows that allow you to do
that if you want to use it in Windows. I am pretty sure Logitech had one.
It's
nice not to have to change focus in order to see the contents in a
window that sits behind the one you're working on.
That's a nice XWindow feature.
--

Iman L Crawford writes:
Things are easy in windows because you know where to look to do
configuration. You've been doing for years. Use linux for as long as
you've used Windows and then you can make a claim about ease of use.
All I needed to do is remember how much time I needed to spend on each
to get up to speed. For Windows, it was far, far shorter.. but that's
me. To each his own.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re: [OT] Jake the Linux-phobe (was: Delphi Bugs)

Iman L Crawford writes:
Sometimes you still have to manually install less
popular software.
Thanks. I was thinking more about software that pre-dated these
systems.
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re: [OT] Jake the Linux-phobe (was: Delphi Bugs)

"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
For Windows, it was far, far shorter.. but that's
me. To each his own.
I wouldn't say far, far shorter. Maybe just far. :)
--
Iman