Trouble playing .AVI using TMediaPlayer

2007-01-21 11:28:50 PM
delphi149
Hi,
I have a small program which plays some .AVI files. These files are captured from (Mini)DV cassettes. When I use the TMediaPlayer to play these files
nothing is shown on the TPanel on which is presumed to be the movie, except of some diagonal lines and a message saying 'Video not available, cannot
find 'vids:dvsd' decompressor.', but the sound is working ok. Using the Windows XP's Media Player or Nero's ShowTime, the video is displayed
correctly. On TMediaPlayer I have the DeviceType property set to dtAutoSelect. I use BDS 2006.
Can you point me in the right direction?
TIA,
m. Th.

Re:Trouble playing .AVI using TMediaPlayer

I have a small program which plays some .AVI files. These files are
captured from (Mini)DV cassettes. When I use the TMediaPlayer to play
these files nothing is shown on the TPanel on which is presumed to be
the movie, except of some diagonal lines and a message saying 'Video not
available, cannot find 'vids:dvsd' decompressor.', but the sound is
working ok. Using the Windows XP's Media Player or Nero's ShowTime, the
video is displayed correctly. On TMediaPlayer I have the DeviceType
property set to dtAutoSelect. I use BDS 2006.
as the message says: you're lacking the appropriate codec.
there are two media APIs: the older MCI and the newer DirectShow.
TMediaPlayer uses the former, Windows Media Player the latter. both
require their own sets of codecs.
-matthias

m. Th. writes:
I have a small program which plays some .AVI files. These files are
captured from (Mini)DV cassettes. When I use the TMediaPlayer to play
these files nothing is shown on the TPanel on which is presumed to be
the movie, except of some diagonal lines and a message saying 'Video
not available, cannot find 'vids:dvsd' decompressor.', but the sound
is working ok. Using the Windows XP's Media Player or Nero's
ShowTime, the video is displayed correctly. On TMediaPlayer I have
the DeviceType property set to dtAutoSelect. I use BDS 2006. Can you
point me in the right direction?
You can download codecs for nearly all formats by downloading one of the
K-Lite Codec Packs from the net. Try at
www.codecguide.com/download_mega.htm
-
Mark Jacobs
DK Computing
www.dkcomputing.co.uk

Re:Trouble playing .AVI using TMediaPlayer

"Mark Jacobs" <www.jacobsm.com/mjmsg.htm?BorlandNG>writes
m. Th. writes:
>I have a small program which plays some .AVI files. These files are
>captured from (Mini)DV cassettes. When I use the TMediaPlayer to play
>these files nothing is shown on the TPanel on which is presumed to be
>the movie, except of some diagonal lines and a message saying 'Video
>not available, cannot find 'vids:dvsd' decompressor.', but the sound
>is working ok. Using the Windows XP's Media Player or Nero's
>ShowTime, the video is displayed correctly. On TMediaPlayer I have
>the DeviceType property set to dtAutoSelect. I use BDS 2006. Can you
>point me in the right direction?

You can download codecs for nearly all formats by downloading one of the
K-Lite Codec Packs from the net. Try at
www.codecguide.com/download_mega.htm
I'd like to caution against using these giant "packs" - while they are
convenient, you're not always sure which codecs will be rendering your
content. Since some codecs can render multiple types, you're faced with a
"clash" at times of what would be best to use. I develop some software that
plays video back, and we've had several users reporting problems. Common
among those users: K-Lite Codec Pack. Did an uninstall, installed a
different single codec, and they worked great since then.
(For those that have to deal with lawyers who scrutinize software releases
and implementations, these packs are also a little "shady" in terms of
redistribution rights. I mention this because the legal group at work took a
quick look at K-Lite and said "Let's not use that." This should not be
construed as legal advice from me or the company I work for; I relate this
strictly a one man's experience for your amu{*word*224}t and/or education...)
Since Media Player can handle the playback, the system already has an
acceptable codec. I can offer some options: embed Windows Media Player as an
ActiveX control on your panel; grab the DSPack library at www.progdigy.com
and use that to create your playback panel (DSPack is open source, so cost
is low, and there's a demo app you can compile to see if it plays your AVI
file); or buy a third-party component that links in Windows Media Player
(datastead.com has a couple of options, but they do cost money).
I'd expect DSPack could handle it. If the OP wants to provide an email
address that can accept a zip file, I could provide a program written using
DSPack to try it out.
Warrick

Re:Trouble playing .AVI using TMediaPlayer

I'd like to caution against using these giant "packs" - while they are
convenient, you're not always sure which codecs will be rendering your
content.
A real good pack is SatsukiDecoder (yatoshi.com/), doesn't include
that many codecs, but everything most of us need.
Also you can choose which codecs renders your content using G-Spot.