Board index » delphi » Why BDECFG32 not setting LOCAL SHARE val

Why BDECFG32 not setting LOCAL SHARE val

To circumvent the "BLOB has been modified" error, I'm following newsgroup
advice to tell my users they should set the LOCAL SHARE field in their
IDAPI32.CFG file to TRUE.

One user reports that his LOCAL SHARE setting to TRUE is not "sticking".
In other words, after saving the new IDAPI32.CFG configuration, he goes
back into the BDECFG32.EXE program, and finds his LOCAL SHARE setting is
blank (not "TRUE" like he last left it).

This doesn't happen when I try it on my system.  I have Windows 95, and I
think he has Windows NT.  Could that be a clue?

Does anybody know why this is happening to him?

Thanks for ready this

Steve
insi...@connix.com

 

Re:Why BDECFG32 not setting LOCAL SHARE val


Quote
Stephen L. Vinson wrote in message <6hnme1...@beast.connix.com>...
>To circumvent the "BLOB has been modified" error, I'm following newsgroup
>advice to tell my users they should set the LOCAL SHARE field in their
>IDAPI32.CFG file to TRUE.

>One user reports that his LOCAL SHARE setting to TRUE is not "sticking".
>In other words, after saving the new IDAPI32.CFG configuration, he goes
>back into the BDECFG32.EXE program, and finds his LOCAL SHARE setting is
>blank (not "TRUE" like he last left it).

>This doesn't happen when I try it on my system.  I have Windows 95, and I
>think he has Windows NT.  Could that be a clue?

>Does anybody know why this is happening to him?

The information is also stored in the Registry. The person might not have
the right's under NT to make changes to that part of the registry.

        -- Kirk

Re:Why BDECFG32 not setting LOCAL SHARE val


Kirk,

Thanks for responding... I relayed your information to him, and this is
what he emailed back to me:

"I'm signed on as the Administrator and should have authority to do
anything.  So that's probably not it.  I tried it again and as soon as I
click on another option (such as VERSION) the LOCAL SHARE field goes
blank.  The LOCAL SHARE field was updated the very first time since when I
tried to exit, BDECFG32 asked if I wanted to save changes.  But it hasn't
asked that question since then, yet EXPLORER shows the IDAPI32.CFG file is
being updated each time I do a save from BDECFG32."

Not being an NT user, I feel kind of helpless in how to help Jim (the
originator of the above quote).

Steve

Quote
(kr...@worldnet.att.net) wrote:

: Stephen L. Vinson wrote in message <6hnme1...@beast.connix.com>...
: >To circumvent the "BLOB has been modified" error, I'm following newsgroup
: >advice to tell my users they should set the LOCAL SHARE field in their
: >IDAPI32.CFG file to TRUE.
: >
: >One user reports that his LOCAL SHARE setting to TRUE is not "sticking".
: >In other words, after saving the new IDAPI32.CFG configuration, he goes
: >back into the BDECFG32.EXE program, and finds his LOCAL SHARE setting is
: >blank (not "TRUE" like he last left it).
: >
: >This doesn't happen when I try it on my system.  I have Windows 95, and I
: >think he has Windows NT.  Could that be a clue?
: >
: >Does anybody know why this is happening to him?

: The information is also stored in the Registry. The person might not have
: the right's under NT to make changes to that part of the registry.

:         -- Kirk

Re:Why BDECFG32 not setting LOCAL SHARE val


I get this problem as well when using the Delphi 2 BDE Configuration
program, but not when I use the Delphi 3 version.

Oliver

Quote
> "I'm signed on as the Administrator and should have authority to do
> anything.  So that's probably not it.  I tried it again and as soon as I
> click on another option (such as VERSION) the LOCAL SHARE field goes
> blank.  The LOCAL SHARE field was updated the very first time since when I
> tried to exit, BDECFG32 asked if I wanted to save changes.  But it hasn't
> asked that question since then, yet EXPLORER shows the IDAPI32.CFG file is
> being updated each time I do a save from BDECFG32."

> Not being an NT user, I feel kind of helpless in how to help Jim (the
> originator of the above quote).

Oliver Townshend
oli...@zip.com.au
Sashalom Pty Ltd
Ph: +61-2-9283-1377 (w) 9675-1769 (h) 0411 754 414 (mob)

Other Threads