Re: Why blame Borland?

>>Does he need provide numbers?
>Yes, he does have to provide numbers because he did not just say *he* was
>unhappy, he made a statement, as if it were a fact about a total count,
>not just *him*. I am getting tired of people making such claims. "The
>sky is falling!" Really? Show me. Of the top level replies to the
>original post, 6 were in agreement and 5 were in disagreement.
At the time we get convincing numbers or seeing the sky falling, we are not
going to have time to post here back & forth in a Delphi newsgroup. We are
going to be all in another dev. language newsgroup. Personally I am tired
with Borland marketing policy or people who do not see that more and more
delphi jobs / programmers are shrinking. Everybody brings his experience.
And if you want mine, let me share the numbers with you folks :
In my current company : Stop buying Delphi since version 5. My project which
kept 3+ Delphi programmers has been switched completely in Java. Another
project in my company (a pharmacy software one) is been switched completely
in Java too. Number of delphi programmers in this project: 10+. (BTW my
company used to us JBuilder but now is switched on Eclipse.....fyi : Number
of Java programmers 50+ )
My previous company (5+ Delphi programmers) is thinking to switch in
MSVS/C#. It is not decided yet.
Hope my experience is not what is going on out there and/or is not what we
delphi programmers share with each-other at least in east-coast. Probably
you have heard that many VB(Visual Basic) programmers are switched from VB6 to Delphi.Net
but still this is not the case in my company. Very good VB(Visual Basic) programmers loved
VB.Net (at least those I know of).
If someone of you gens will show us the increasing Delphi programmer number
that would be great, and that is what we want to hear. As you mentioned
above, "if 6 were in the agreement and 5 were not", obviousely at least that
is not a good sign.
G.Y. - Delphi fan.
Cool enough ? Get Delphi !

Re: Why blame Borland?

I totally agree. I had the same experience with Suse 8.1 Linux and Kylix 2.
It took me forever to figure out how to install some drivers or how to unzip
those packed linux files (I forgot the extention name of it ..."tar" ????).
I went to google to get how to unzip those file and it was a command with
100 options in the end of it "e.g. tar filename.tar -cv-s-d-kl-j-s d-
9msd -lkl -l-k-o-p".
You perfectly got it. Same feeling of using the old UNIX VAX 11 systems.
(the system where I learned pascal times ago ... :) :) )
After two weeks working around with it, I said to myself : "If it takes two
hours to configure or do something with it, that is not the product I want to
work with ! Once it gets more user-friendly and more mature in bussiness
oriented direction I will get back to it."
IMHO MS did a great, great job with windows. Made everyone to have a PC home
and made possible to create possibilities for other companies like Borland
etc to create great products for windows like Delphi. Millions became
programmers working with windows so they could afford Borland prices and
made many companies to grow ....,,,,,,Bill get richer while we stay
employeed programming :) :) that is perfect in harmony with me :) :)
MS OS-es do not have stability....well, I agree but thanks to B. Gates who
made possible for everyone to work with, millions got great jobs and a good
percentage of these people came from MCJobs.........(the only chance they
got in their lives,,,,)
Whatever, we liked Delphi because was good, the top w32 dev language. That's
why Borland got very Delphi fanatic fans which other companies never had
them. I hope Delphi 8 stays the same in .Net platform. Borland had always great
products and programmers in its side. IMHO they never were good in
marketing. I wish they really can take some lessons how MS run the
bussiness. Now MS has VB.Net instead of VB(Visual Basic) and C# for the next step of
VC++. Both VB.Net and C# are very great products.
I really doubt if Delphi.Net it will be as much superior compare to them as
Delphi for 32 bit was superior to VB(Visual Basic) and/or VC++. Let see how it will go.
PS:
some say "sky is falling" but I say "we have seen that before" . Hope we
all together will make possible NOT to see the "sky falling"
"Olivier Beltrami" <obeltrami at wanadoo dot fr>writes
>You might want to reevaluate Linux. Anyone who cannot use a Desktop
Linux
>Distro today, cannot use Windows either.

I installed Mandrake 9 and then Kylix 3. Thought I was in a flashback to
the
late 70's when I was on a VAX system ... had to launch a batch file that
launched Kylix. And the programs I wrote I could run from within Kylix but
had no clue how to run them on their own. Sure I could spend ages trying
figure it out, but that would be cutting off my nose to spite my face.
Staying with Windows I save time (=money for non-governmental types like
me)
and aggravation. So Bill gets richer ... good for him. I won't submit
myself
to aggravation just to make Bill hurt financially.

Olivier

Re: Why blame Borland?

I went to google to get how to unzip those file and it was a command with
100 options in the end of it "e.g. tar filename.tar -cv-s-d-kl-j-s d-
9msd -lkl -l-k-o-p".
This is an exagerration. The -kl switch is unnecessary.
Oliver

Re: Why blame Borland?

I just placed it to make sure it is OK :) :) :)
"Oliver Townshend" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>I went to google to get how to unzip those file and it was a command
with
>100 options in the end of it "e.g. tar filename.tar -cv-s-d-kl-j-s d-
>9msd -lkl -l-k-o-p".

This is an exagerration. The -kl switch is unnecessary.

Oliver

Re: Why blame Borland?

The problem of Kylix is exclusively problem created by Borland. Not anyone
else. It is sad that Borland buried Kylix don't giving to it any chance to
survive.
gy>It took me forever to figure out how to install some drivers or how
gy>to unzip those packed linux files (I forgot the extention name of it
gy>..."tar" ????).
gy>I went to google to get how to unzip those file and it was a command
gy>with 100 options in the end of it "e.g. tar filename.tar
gy>-cv-s-d-kl-j-s d-
gy>9msd -lkl -l-k-o-p".
After you work with this things for a while you will feel such apporach
normal. :-) This is called cultural shock.
gy>You perfectly got it. Same feeling of using the old UNIX VAX 11
gy>systems.
gy>(the system where I learned pascal times ago ... :) :) )
gy>After two weeks working around with it, I said to myself : "If it
gy>takes two hours to configure or do something with it, that is not the
gy>product I want to work with!
It is take two hours to _learn how to configure_. After you learn,
configuration times will much less.
---
Andrew V. Fionik, Papillon Systems, Unix Programmers Group
For reply use "ender" instead of "fionika" in e-mail.

Re: Why blame Borland?

After you work with this things for a while you will feel such apporach
normal. :-) This is called cultural shock.
Well, as I said, I will get back to it as soon as I will get free time......in
retirement ?????
Beside learning how to unzip a tar file in a command line with 7+ options
behind it (instead of a double click in Winzip) I will also try to learn to
use the chopsticks instead of the spoon/fork for eating rise.....
"Ender" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
gy>I totally agree. I had the same experience with Suse 8.1 Linux and
gy>Kylix 2.