Interbase 7.5.1 Crashes once per week.

2006-12-13 11:50:08 PM
delphi67
Our production database server: HP DL585 4 way with 8GB RAM, crashes at
least once per week.
Seems to happen on Wednesdays between 11:30PM - 12:30pm. Only a few
users are in working at that time. Come 8:00AM the applasue.gdb is
corrupted and needs to be recovered from one of the hourly backups that
run (GBAK). The only glaring issue is that this seems to happen to one
user who is logging into the application (Java app), with mutiple users
passwords.

Re:Interbase 7.5.1 Crashes once per week.

Hi,
What OS are you running the server on?
Are you saying it crashes only when one particular user logs in? If so, I'd check that user's machine (providing he only uses one machine to login), check the client version of interbase on his machine, ie check gds32.dll version on his machine.
Have you checked the interbase log on the server? anything there?
Cheers,
Sol.

Motorfinger writes:
Seems to happen on Wednesdays between 11:30PM - 12:30pm. Only a few
users are in working at that time. Come 8:00AM the applasue.gdb is
corrupted and needs to be recovered from one of the hourly backups
that run (GBAK).
Make sure you have forced writes on. A crash should not corrupt the DB.
As far as why it is crashing in the first place, what do you see in
interbase.log?
Want to help make Delphi and InterBase better? Use QC!
qc.borland.com -- Vote for important issues

Re:Interbase 7.5.1 Crashes once per week.

Is forced writes in the Ibconfig file? I can;t seem to locate it. As
for the log (CORA_DATA (Client) Wed Dec 06 06:39:30 2006
C:\Program Files\Borland\InterBase\bin\ibserver.exe: terminated
abnormally (-1)
CORA_DATA (Server) Wed Dec 06 06:39:30 2006
SERVER/set_process_affinity: hyper-threading ProcessAffinityMask is ff
CORA_DATA (Server) Wed Dec 06 06:39:30 2006
Server: setting SWEEP_QUANTUM to 250, USER_QUANTUM to 1000,
SWEEP_YIELD_TIME to 1 ms, and MAX_THREADS to 999999
SQL_COMPILER_RECURSION to 2000)
Thats about it.
DLA

Motorfinger writes:
Is forced writes in the Ibconfig file? I can;t seem to locate it.
No. it is something you set with gfix. Read about forced / synchronous
writes in operations guide.
As
for the log (CORA_DATA (Client) Wed Dec 06 06:39:30 2006
C:\Program Files\Borland\InterBase\bin\ibserver.exe: terminated
abnormally (-1)
OK, that doesn't tell us much. You need to look at what's happening
during this time. A system backup? An IB backup? Some scheduled task
using the database?
All the great TeamB service you've come to expect plus (New!)
Irish Tin Whistle tips: learningtowhistle.blogspot.com