Re: ANN: TwoDesk Component Palette (Combines a Delphi 7 style component palett

2007-12-04 05:11:00 PM
delphi21
My suggestion for a demo is to allow one or two real components to be
selected, and then just show a message box. It is tempting but a demo
would make it easier to commit.
/Matthew Jones/

Re: ANN: TwoDesk Component Palette (Combines a Delphi 7 style component palett

Such a demo would have saved me $20, at least until release 1.1 comes
out. The current basic functionality failure of this palette is that it
seems to set up the sequence of tabs at random, making it a right pain
to try to find the one you want in the eight rows that I have. The
important 're-order tabs' feature of the Delphi 7 palette is missing.
The standard Delphi 2007 palette allows you to drag the categories up and
down to set their sequence, which is admittedly relatively useless
since you can normally see so few of them when expanded that it is
actually easier to use the 'partial match' technique. But if this
Two-Desk palette respected the (to me) logical sequence into which I
could sort my categories, it would make it a sensationally useful tool.
Which at the moment it is not.
Could it be that difficult to add such an enhancement?
--
Tim

Tim Frost writes:
Such a demo would have saved me $20, at least until release 1.1 comes
out. The current basic functionality failure of this palette is that
it seems to set up the sequence of tabs at random, making it a right
pain to try to find the one you want in the eight rows that I have.
The important 're-order tabs' feature of the Delphi 7 palette is missing.
I know nothing of this add-in, but it does amaze me how sometimes
developers miss the blindingly obvious. Remember when Delphi 7 came out and
it was soon discovered that Project Manager no longer sorted units
alphabetically? What were they thinking?
--
Kevin Powick

Kevin Powick writes:
Remember when Delphi 7 came out and
it was soon discovered that Project Manager no longer sorted units
alphabetically? What were they thinking?
In all fairness, they were thinking. IIRC, it sorted units in the order
of appearance. The change was a result of a customer request, it was just
fantastically poorly implemented. One case where Allen Bauer's
"Optionitis" bit us all in the rear. ;-)
--
-Brion
There's no such thing as 'one, true way;'

Tim Frost writes:
[...]

Thanks for the feedback, it is very appreciated.
To be perfectly honest, I was never aware of the ability to reorder
tabs in the Delphi 7 palette. The mini palette uses the default tab sequence
(the same sequence you would get without reordering anything in either
D7 or D2007). I will definitely take that under consideration for an
update soon.
--Jacob

Kevin Powick writes:
Tim Frost writes:

>Such a demo would have saved me $20, at least until release 1.1 comes
>out. The current basic functionality failure of this palette is that
>it seems to set up the sequence of tabs at random, making it a right
>pain to try to find the one you want in the eight rows that I have.
>The important 're-order tabs' feature of the Delphi 7 palette is missing.

I know nothing of this add-in, but it does amaze me how sometimes
developers miss the blindingly obvious. Remember when Delphi 7 came out and
it was soon discovered that Project Manager no longer sorted units
alphabetically? What were they thinking?

In C Builder I have had to do this manually for the past 10 years!
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
Shane

Jacob Thurman writes:
To be perfectly honest, I was never aware of the ability to reorder
tabs in the Delphi 7 palette. The mini palette uses the default tab sequence
(the same sequence you would get without reordering anything in either
D7 or D2007). I will definitely take that under consideration for an
update soon.
Really? I did/do that all the time. Raize Components install, for
example, reorders tabs so their components are near the front. I usually
put my ADO/dbGo tab towards the front as well.
Shows how we all use the same basic framework in totally different ways. ;-)