Technologies/frameworks/tools for developing "distributed" EPR/POS system?

2007-08-02 03:43:33 PM
delphi20
Hello,
for building a customized "distributed" ERP/POS system from scratch, I'm
currently looking for ideas to get started.
Distributed in a sense that the customer wants to have the ERP/POS
system available in-house as a regular Windows application whereas a
field staff needs to access the system via e.g. a web-browser or a local
copy of the Windows application, if performance to the office server is
acceptable.
Both (app) server and client OS will be Windows. DBMS-Backend will be
probably Firebird.
I'm currently looking for opinions about technologies, frameworks,
tools, best practices ... for such a scenario. In a first-glance in the
Delphi world, as I am quite used to programming in Delphi. Currently
using BDS2006 Architect.
Thanks,
Thomas

Re:Technologies/frameworks/tools for developing "distributed" EPR/POS system?

Hello Thomas,
Rather than starting from scratch, maybe you could start by taking a look
at BS/1 www.dbsonline.com. IIRC there was someone converting it to use
Firebird.
If you wanted to convert it to a full web application you could look at
using something like intraweb www.atozed.com/intraWeb/index.en.aspx.
Regards
Trevor Keegan

Re:Technologies/frameworks/tools for developing "distributed" EPR/POS system?

I agree with Siegfrid.
As an example, where I started to build around:
Creating High Performance Middleware Applications with Indy
www.latiumsoftware.com/en/pascal/0039.php
Keep in mind that, for every client connection in Indy (i.e. client thread),
you have to attach yor DB access logic i.e. TDataModule.
I created MyIDClientThreadClass from Indy's Thread class with FDataModule as
a property. that is where you create DB connection.
I use Firebird as a DB server.
Works great.
"Thomas Steinmaurer" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
message news:46b18ae8$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
[...]

Perfect place to use KBMMW. I use it for our distributed apps.. Allows user
control, auto updates, as well as hard core database middle tier control.
All for a royalty free library.. I too use Firebird..
craig