Turbo was a great idea

2006-10-02 07:46:13 PM
delphi230
The company I am working for is currently a VS2005 only development
environment. My boss just called me up and asked me if I knew anyone
selling a cheap version of D2006 "Pro will do". I directed him to
turboexplorer.com - he thought it was a great idea, and loves the fact that
the "Turbo" name is back too, so he's now going to buy it. So well done for
that, it is nice to experience the positive results first hand!
He was surprised that he hadn't heard about it because he had already been
looking around on Borland.com. Another thing to point out is that it is too
difficult to buy, I had to use Google to find it was on the main page and
then page search to find it was the last 3 words on the page. I expect an
important link like this to be near the top of the page so I didn't get as
far as the last 3 words when I was looking for it. You should really put a
"Buy it" link at the top of the page at the very least, and I think you
should have two large icons "Download" "Purchase" on each page too.
--
Pete
Blessed are the geek, for they shall public class GeekEarth : Earth {}

Re:Turbo was a great idea

Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software] writes:
The company I am working for is currently a VS2005 only development
environment. My boss just called me up and asked me if I knew anyone
selling a cheap version of D2006 "Pro will do". I directed him to
turboexplorer.com - he thought it was a great idea, and loves the fact that
the "Turbo" name is back too, so he's now going to buy it. So well done for
that, it is nice to experience the positive results first hand!

To me the more important question is why did he suddenly want to look at
Delphi? Was it dissatisfaction with VS2005?
Mark

Re:Turbo was a great idea

To me the more important question is why did he suddenly want to look
at Delphi? Was it dissatisfaction with VS2005?
Now this might be a real long shot, but maybe he had a project in
Delphi that he needed to do something with?
--

Re:Turbo was a great idea

To me the more important question is why did he suddenly want to look at
Delphi? Was it dissatisfaction with VS2005?
He used to be a clipper programmer and later moved onto Delphi. He hasn't
programmed for many years now but has decided that it is time for him to
start writing stuff again. Rather than learning C# he wants to write in
Delphi.
--

Hadi Hariri writes:
Now this might be a real long shot, but maybe he had a project in
Delphi that he needed to do something with?
LOL! Exactly..I am continually amazed at the VS crowd's inability to
understand that JUST MAYBE some of us PREFER coding in Delphi! Not
'object pascal', but specifically Delphi/VCL.
JoeH

Re:Turbo was a great idea

Hadi Hariri writes:
>To me the more important question is why did he suddenly want to look
>at Delphi? Was it dissatisfaction with VS2005?

Now this might be a real long shot, but maybe he had a project in
Delphi that he needed to do something with?

I wasn't asking because I think VS is superior to Delphi (far from it)
and I was in disbelief that someone would actually look to Delphi as an
alternative.
I was asking because whatever caused him to think of Delphi might help
Devco formulate a marketing strategy against VS and get others to
consider Delphi.
I am not now nor have I ever been a fan of MS development tools. I've
been using Pascal in one form or another since 1986 and Turbo Pascal 3.0.

Re:Turbo was a great idea

Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software] writes:

He used to be a clipper programmer and later moved onto Delphi. He hasn't
programmed for many years now but has decided that it is time for him to
start writing stuff again. Rather than learning C# he wants to write in
Delphi.

Makes sense. Once a Delphinaut, always a Delphinaut.
Mark

Re:Turbo was a great idea

Mark A. Andrews writes:
I am not now nor have I ever been a fan of MS development tools. I've
been using Pascal in one form or another since 1986 and Turbo Pascal 3.0.
Sorry, I misunderstood your post and assumed you were a VS evangelist!
JoeH

Re:Turbo was a great idea

Joe Hendricks writes:
LOL! Exactly..I am continually amazed at the VS crowd's inability to
understand that JUST MAYBE some of us PREFER coding in Delphi! Not
'object pascal', but specifically Delphi/VCL.
I prefer pascal because of the syntax, layout, etc. I am not
particularilly attached to the VCL itself, excepting, of course, those
production projects which are too large to want to port this late in
their life.
I am, however, very attached to my large library of support code.
Redeveloping it in another language would be a huge hassle. Chances
are that I will eventually move most of it to another framework such as
chrome if I have to go dotNet, because it has some great features.
I have yet to investigate how exactly Delphi.net handles strings in
dotNet, but I have to say that the differences between how dotNet
handles strings and how VCL handles strings gives me serious pause
about ever just moving a project to vcl.net and expecting it perform as
well.
I do know that many of my high performance parsing libraries would have
to be significantly rewritten in dotNet as they perform many 'dirty
tricks' based on how String works to get the job done quickly.

Re:Turbo was a great idea

hasn't programmed for many years now but has decided that it is time
for him to start writing stuff again. Rather than learning C# he
wants to write in Delphi.
Cool, I like bosses who can actually write code :-)
Lucian

Re:Turbo was a great idea

Lucian writes:
>hasn't programmed for many years now but has decided that it is time
>for him to start writing stuff again. Rather than learning C# he
>wants to write in Delphi.

Cool, I like bosses who can actually write code :-)
I'm not so fond on those. As long as they don't pretend they know better
than you, that is fine. But the previous used to only see what the button
was displaying and assumed how it got there...

Re:Turbo was a great idea

Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software] writes:
You should really put a "Buy it" link at the top of the page at the
very least, and I think you should have two large icons "Download"
"Purchase" on each page too.
Good ideas, both.
Please read and follow Borland's rules for the user of their
server: support.borland.com/entry.jspa

Re:Turbo was a great idea

I am, however, very attached to my large library of support code.
Redeveloping it in another language would be a huge hassle. Chances
are that I will eventually move most of it to another framework such as
chrome if I have to go dotNet, because it has some great features.

I have yet to investigate how exactly Delphi.net handles strings in
dotNet, but I have to say that the differences between how dotNet
handles strings and how VCL handles strings gives me serious pause
about ever just moving a project to vcl.net and expecting it perform as
well.

I do know that many of my high performance parsing libraries would have
to be significantly rewritten in dotNet as they perform many 'dirty
tricks' based on how String works to get the job done quickly.
well actually this was the reason I stopped using Delphi.net and started
using Chrome...
in Delphi.net strings are still '1' based , strings in the .net framework
are '0' based so this is very confusing...
It gets really bad the moment you start using Microsoft framework string
routines, because there are all zero based aswell...
String in Chrome are also zero based and I like that...
Strings in .net are SO different from the D32 strings that a rewrite of you
string handling routines in needed anyway, so why not do it correctly from
the start...
Best Regards,
Jeroen Vandezande

Re:Turbo was a great idea

He made a strange decision. Clipper syntax is more closer to C than to
Pascal. Moreover there are open-source successors of Clipper as [x]Harbours.
Vladimir Grigoriev
"Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
message news:452114ca$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>To me the more important question is why did he suddenly want to look at
>Delphi? Was it dissatisfaction with VS2005?

He used to be a clipper programmer and later moved onto Delphi. He hasn't
programmed for many years now but has decided that it is time for him to
start writing stuff again. Rather than learning C# he wants to write in
Delphi.

--
Pete

Blessed are the geek, for they shall public class GeekEarth : Earth {}
====
Audio compression components, DIB graphics controls, ECO extensions,
FastStrings
www.droopyeyes.com
====

Re:Turbo was a great idea

Cool, I like bosses who can actually write code :-)
Sure he can write code, but that doesn't necessarily mean he can write apps
:-)
He commented the other day that "dotnet is {*word*99}", which is a strange thing
to say considering we are writing an application for PocketPC and our
choices were either dotnet or embedded C++.