Re: The true story about Danny Thorpe and Borland...

2007-12-18 02:28:17 AM
delphi29
"Bob Dawson" writes:

Depends on one's frame of reference I suppose. As yannis points out, a
'six-figure income' means at least $100,000.00 per year. The current
average
US wage is closer to $38,000.00.
www.engineersalary.com/
Using the calculator at this site and guessing Danny's qualifications, it
said $113,000 and considering his excellent communications skill and other
factors I'd add about 10-25% and say his salary would be around
$125,000-140,000.

Re: The true story about Danny Thorpe and Borland...

"Henrick Hellström" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
[..] You won't impress anyone at the local Rotary meeting with such a
salary. ;)
A classic place for developers to go to, eh? <G>

Re: The true story about Danny Thorpe and Borland...

"I.P. Nichols" wrote
factors I'd add about 10-25% and say his salary would be around
$125,000-140,000.
My guess would be higher--this is west coast, and silicon valley.
bobD

Re: The true story about Danny Thorpe and Borland...

"Bob Dawson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
"I.P. Nichols" wrote
>factors I'd add about 10-25% and say his salary would be around
>$125,000-140,000.
My guess would be higher--this is west coast, and silicon valley.
I would hope so. House prices are RIDICOLOUS over there.

Re: The true story about Danny Thorpe and Borland...

Dominic Willems writes:
I'm sorry, but $1mio/year just to prepare for retirement is still too
high. Give it back.
Taking various tax effects into account (differences between taxation of
incomes from employment and capital) and making some assumptions (low
inflation, $0.5mio mortgage, retired at 65, died at 85), making
$1mio/year for five years corresponds to approximately 100,000/year for
25 years. that is not necessarily too high.

Re: The true story about Danny Thorpe and Borland...

With the current value of the USD, a six figure salary isn't that
impressive - at least seen from here in Europe.
my first thought exactly; I honestly do not care about the exchange rate
-- even before the dollar fell, the phrase "six digits" was not
impressive. Now, if the six digits start with a "3" or more
("$300,000"+) then things start sounding interesting. Even that starts
to sound like base pay, considering what some professionals get paid
nowadays.

Re: The true story about Danny Thorpe and Borland...

"Wayne Niddery (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
"Rod" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>Danny left because Borland/Codegear won't invest into Delphi!!!

Did you just return from the wilderness? That there was such a problem is
the whole reason why CodeGear was created and has been discussed endlessly
here for years already.
It's been over a year now since that creation. What has changed?

Rod writes:
Danny left because Borland/Codegear won't invest into Delphi!!!
and this is news because ????

Re: The true story about Danny Thorpe and Borland...

yannis writes:
well from my point of view a 6 figures income is everywhere
impressive and to make thigs clear a six figure income starts at
100000 USD per year this is impressive even in europe.
100,000 USD doesn't sound very impressive for the main "compiler guy"
at a company like Borland, though. I guess he got a little more,
anyway. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] www.teamb.com
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for

Rod writes:

Danny left because Borland/Codegear won't invest into Delphi!!!
Borland didn't want to. Old hat.
It is pretty clear that CodeGear is investing and has already invested
a lot in Delphi, C++Builder, JBuilder and some new languages.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] www.teamb.com
"My mother said to me, "If you are a soldier, you will become a

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
Rod writes:

>Danny left because Borland/Codegear won't invest into Delphi!!!

Borland didn't want to. Old hat.

It is pretty clear that CodeGear is investing and has already invested
a lot in Delphi, C++Builder, JBuilder and some new languages.
Sure? I saw no significant progress since Delphi 7. The opposite: New
faults and problems were incorporated:
InstallAware,
not working F1-Help,
slow .net layer for Win32 developer

Rod writes:
>Borland didn't want to. Old hat. It is pretty clear that CodeGear
>is investing and has already invested a lot in Delphi, C++Builder,
>JBuilder and some new languages.

Sure? I saw no significant progress since Delphi 7.
That you don't see it doesn't mean it is not there. I can see a lot of
significant changes to the language, the VCL, the RTL and to the IDE,
since Delphi 7.
Perhaps they were not significant for you? that is too bad.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] www.teamb.com
"You ask me if I keep a notebook to record my great ideas. I've

Rod writes:
Sure? I saw no significant progress since Delphi 7. The opposite: New
faults and problems were incorporated:
InstallAware,
not working F1-Help,
slow .net layer for Win32 developer
It is very wrong to say "no significant progress since Delphi 7". But on
the other hand, I feel your pain on each of the issues you mentioned.
The installer -- well, I have learned to live with the ridiculously slow
speeds. At least it gets the job done. Help, I use it rarely, and when I
invoke it the first time, I wait one minute and then I can type my
search. But I generally find what I need. The slowness of many core
features like Code Completion (maybe because they were written in .Net?)
-- drives me crazy.
But in spite of it all, I really do like working in Delphi 2007 all day.
It has some amazing features. I have been playing around with VS2008
lately, and the Object Inspector equivalent is still clunky. I really do
prefer working in D2007. And VS2008's help has gobs of broken links.
And when the December update comes out, I will be even happier.
Loren

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
Rod writes:

>>Borland didn't want to. Old hat. It is pretty clear that CodeGear
>>is investing and has already invested a lot in Delphi, C++Builder,
>>JBuilder and some new languages.
>Sure? I saw no significant progress since Delphi 7.

That you don't see it doesn't mean it is not there. I can see a lot of
significant changes to the language, the VCL, the RTL and to the IDE,
since Delphi 7.

Perhaps they were not significant for you? that is too bad.
They were significant for me, but I am not able to use it! The IDE is a
further point. We had a very good and stable IDE in D7. Now we have
hundreds of problems. The whole R&D power goes into fixing the unstable
new .net IDE and the stupid Microsoft doc explorer help.

Rod writes:
>Perhaps they were not significant for you? that is too bad.

They were significant for me, but I am not able to use it!
So there were significant changes after all, but you couldn't use them?
What a bummer.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] www.teamb.com
"Sanity is a madness put to good uses."