Re: You can install components into Turbo Delphi

2006-09-08 10:22:40 AM
delphi25
Jolyon Smith writes:
I guess it is Ok if they give them away.
Delphi 2005 wasn't exactly free though.
:)

Re: You can install components into Turbo Delphi

John Jacobson writes:
OK, feel free to steal software at will, people. Not my concern after
all. My bad.
You appear to have missed what it was that I quoted.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - Borland DTG

Re: You can install components into Turbo Delphi

John Jacobson writes:
I am SOOOOOOO tempted to actually answer that question.
I'd cancel it anyway. ;-)
--

"Nick Hodges (Borland/DTG)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
John Jacobson writes:

>OK, feel free to steal software at will, people. Not my concern after
>all. My bad.

You appear to have missed what it was that I quoted.
Not in the least. I considered it offensive and reacted accordingly.

John Jacobson writes:
Not in the least. I considered it offensive and reacted accordingly.
Please feel free to chastise and otherwise comment on the immorality of
piracy. Please leave the religious discussions to BPOT. Thanks.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - Borland DTG
blogs.borland.com/nickhodges

Re: You can install components into Turbo Delphi

"JED" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I don't read bpot.

Feel free to email me your response though.
Maybe if I find the time, I will blog about it. Doubtful though. I pretty much
know how I feel about it already, and when it comes to that topic I only
write in order to either entertain myself or to clarify my thoughts.
Besides, truth be told, if I did feel like blogging it would probably be
more interesting to write about the lack of sale of the DTG so far. But that
topic is depressing.

John Jacobson writes:

>Not in the least. I considered it offensive and reacted accordingly.

Please feel free to chastise and otherwise comment on the immorality of
piracy. Please leave the religious discussions to BPOT. Thanks.
My religious views are not up for public *discussion* in the first place.

John Jacobson writes:

My religious views are not up for public discussion in the first
place.
But questioning others is?
--
Compact Framework for Delphi 2006: www.jed-software.com/cf.htm
QualityCentral Windows Client: www.jed-software.com/qc.htm

John Jacobson writes:

>My religious views are not up for public discussion in the first
>place.

But questioning others is?
See the sentence you quoted above.

John Jacobson writes:

My religious views are not up for public discussion in the first
place.
And that is perfectly fine. Sort of the point, really.
--

John Jacobson writes:
See the sentence you quoted above.
See this sentence that you writes:
"You wouldn't happen to be an atheist would you?"
--
Compact Framework for Delphi 2006: www.jed-software.com/cf.htm
QualityCentral Windows Client: www.jed-software.com/qc.htm
Visual Forms IDE Add In: www.jed-software.com/vf.htm

Re: You can install components into Turbo Delphi

Sarah writes:
Looks like someone has found a way to install third-party components
into Turbo Delphi! It may not be legal to do that, but see that
screenshot in the attachments group.

It doesn't look like a photoshop trick!
I have a good idea how it is probably done.. was one I was going to try
out myself on a vm to see if it worked and keep quiet.. :P (I own bds I
dont need to steal it off them)
--
Liz the Brit
Delphi things I have released: www.xcalibur.co.uk/DelphiThings

"John Jacobson" writes:

Maybe if I find the time, I will blog about it. Doubtful though. I pretty
much know how I feel about it already, and when it comes to that topic I
only write in order to either entertain myself or to clarify my thoughts.
I for one, would be interested to know your feelings about whether or not
night baseball is likely to replace sex. ;-)
Besides, truth be told, if I did feel like blogging it would probably be
more interesting to write about the lack of sale of the DTG so far. But
that topic is depressing.
That might be a more appropriate topic seeing as how today is the seventh
month anniversary of the announcement.

Re: You can install components into Turbo Delphi

Hi,
Sarah writes:
Looks like someone has found a way to install third-party components into
Turbo Delphi! It may not be legal to do that, but see that screenshot in
the attachments group.
No, it is not legal and guess what: I am not going to tell how I did it nor
am I going to write a tool to automate it as you suggested.
I own BDS myself so I have no need for this hack. The reason I did it was
just pure curiosity and the challenge. I am actually surprised that my
second idea about how to do it worked. (The first was to replace some of
the existing packages which does not work. Would have been too simple, so I
am glad it didn't. ;-) )
It doesn't look like a photoshop trick!
It isn't. I wouldn't know enough about photoshop to do that and don't even
own a license.
MfG
twm

Re: You can install components into Turbo Delphi

To all:
While the test has been done by its author with the JVCL, and while we
understand the desire to use third party components in the Turbo
Explorer editions, we have to make it clear that we did not support the
original author in his endeavor, nor will we support anyone asking to
reproduce this.
Borland/DTG has decided to prevent components from being installed in
the Explorer edition and we, as a provider, have to comply with that.
For the record, and as an individual, I find the hack quite interesting,
but it is still a hack and is to be put in the same category as the
potential hacks that allow to compile in command line with the trial
editions.
I know this sounds a lot like "lawyer's talk", but it seemed important
to me to clarify the situation. If you want to install third party
components, either do it on your own or buy the Pro version.
Regards
Olivier Sannier
JVCL Coordinator