Re: Paramount Switches To Blu-ray

2008-01-10 08:40:37 AM
delphi8
"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
John Jacobson writes:

>>That would be true if one continued a closed view of the world.
>
>I have no idea what you mean by that.

Internet speeds haven't improved significantly in many areas of the
world.
Well, that is part of the IF statement.

John Jacobson writes:

>That depends on how small external hard drives, or memory sticks. get
>(per GB).

..and how cheap. AFAIK at the moment the cost in 25GB of memory sticks
would be too prohibitive. I doubt that memory sticks would ever catch
up to mass storage media like Blu-Ray or future generations of them.
32Gb memory sticks are in the $300 range atm. You could buy a lot of BluRay
blanks for that...
64Gb memory sticks... well... now we're in the $5,000 range. that is a whole
PC, with BluRay recorder, blanks and a whole buncha big hard drives :)

Captain Jake writes:
Well, that is part of the IF statement.
I figured you meant they were improving at the moment. My mistake
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re: Paramount Switches To Blu-ray

The BluRay spec is still inferior.
Says who? BluRay spec is IMO actually quite superior to HD-DVD:
- hardware-wise, BluRay spec wins (capacity, scratch-proof coating)
- video-wise, BluRay spec wins (same codecs, but BR has more capacity,
allowing for lower compression ratios, and also more MB/s of video data
are possible with BluRay than with HD-DVD)
- sound-wise, BluRay spec wins (less compulsory formats, and of higher
quality, and better ability at higher quality audio, not in the least
because of extra disk capacity and extra MB/s)
- software-wise, BluRay specs wins (JavaVM for BluRay vs a more limited
HDi aka HTML+JavaScript for HD-DVD)
- DRM-wise, BluRay specs wins (okay, not so good a win)
For a software capabilities refresher on the freedom allowed by BD-J vs
the limits of HDi, see
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD-J
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDi_Interactive_Format
HD movies only take up 4-15GB.
2-years old FUD.
50 GB BluRay movies have already been released, and they're filled up.
Sure you can compromise on quality and sound compression, but why settle
for something "good enough for now"? What's good enough on a 32" may not
be on a 42", etc.
There was a time when everybody found DVD IQ as good as you would ever
need. But with home video projectors becoming affordable, you need quite
a bit more pixels, and with recent HC audio amps, 5.1 DD is beginning to
show its limits too.
This is all a temptest in a teapot anyway. Are people really going to keep
cluttering their homes with disks? Look at the market for CD's now that
MP3's are ubiquitous. BluRay may have won a Phyrric victory.
CDs when they blossomed out represented a storage capcity relatively
comparable to what BluRays are now (ie. about 10 per HDD).
100GB BluRays (4 layers) have been demonstrated and can be played on
existing players with a mere firmware update.
250GB BluRays (10 layers) have been achieved in the lab.
If BluRays lasts 20 years, it won't have been a phyrric victory, and
they may actually last a bit more since other forms of storage capacity
(Flash & HDD) haven't been progressing in the last decade as fast as
they used to progress in the previous decade.
Eric

Re: Paramount Switches To Blu-ray

Dave Nottage [TeamB] writes:
I'm sure a blu-ray disc would be much cheaper to buy in volume (at
least eventually), and take up far less storage space.
I switched from DVDs to USB hard disks for off-site backups and are very happy
about it. I choose a freecom toughdrive because it does not break when you drop
it and because it contains a laptop 2.5" harddisk making it smaller. And it
does not require a power adaptor (it draws its power from the USB bus). All
this containing up to 250GB in data for quite affordable prices. It is a bit
thicker than a CD case but it is smaller width makes it actually easier to stick
in a pocket of your coat:
www.freecom.com/ecProduct_detail.asp
Highly recommended. Taking into account that external harddisks are faster than
DVDs and blue-rays I do not see myself switch back to disk type media for
backups.
Jan Derk

Re: Paramount Switches To Blu-ray

I.P. Nichols writes:
I've found that rubbing a shallow scratch with a tiny dab of tooth
paste on my finger tip followed by a good washing often will bring a
scratched CD/DVD back to life.
Must be the stuff in it that makes your teeth shine a bright white <g>.
--
Thank you,
Christopher Ireland

Re: Paramount Switches To Blu-ray

Nope. HD DVD provides same picture, sound but more usability features. That
makes it better.
Sorry, but that is just not the case.
HD-DVD picture technically can not be same or superior unless you're
comparing against an artifically gimped BluRay encoding: same codec but
less space and less bandwidth just means more compression, no rocket
science there.
The same story goes for sound.
The amount of FUD achievements during this format war was enormous,
despite the specs being openly and esaily available from the start.
Kudos to the MS spinmeisters on this one.
Eric
PS: I am sorry you got tricked into buying an HDDVD player.

Eric Grange kirjoitti:

>Correct if I am wrong, but blueray needs two separate lasers (or at
>least one very complex) to be backward compatible with DVDs. HD-DVD
>only one.

Both HD-DVD and BluRay operate with a blue laser (same wavelength).
But HD-DVD reads the HDs and DVDs with the same laser diode, but blueray
needs a extra one for DVDs. Something to do with the optics. This is the
biggest reason why HD-DVD didn't go for the higher capacity.
>And as those lasers are almost always the part that breaks the first,
>HD-DVD wins here, again.

Uh?? They use the same laser diodes, however since BluRay lasers needs
less power (0.35mW vs 0.5mW) and current LED tech failure modes are
dependant on power, it is actually BluRay that wins, again.
I'm not sure how to explain this in english, but I mean the laser diode
mechanics. They break down. The more complex, the easier they break.
Blueray is more complex.
David S.

Eric Grange kirjoitti:

The amount of FUD achievements during this format war was enormous,
despite the specs being openly and esaily available from the start.
Kudos to the MS spinmeisters on this one.
Like Sony and co. didn't spread FUD? They did and are.
David S.

Re: Paramount Switches To Blu-ray

An old photographer's trick to "hide" scratches on negatives is to rub a
little nose grease into the scratch. Make sure it is the grease and not the
other nose stuff you rub on your disc!
-Andy
"I.P. Nichols" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

I.P. Nichols writes:
I've found that rubbing a shallow scratch with a tiny dab of tooth
paste on my finger tip followed by a good washing often will bring a
scratched CD/DVD back to life.
I've used Brasso (or rather a Swedish equivalent - Häxans Kopparputs)
on a cloth with good effect. As a side note, this is also good for
rejuvenating scratched Lego bricks, especially the transparent ones :-)
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Re: Paramount Switches To Blu-ray

I'm not sure how to explain this in english, but I mean the laser diode
mechanics. They break down. The more complex, the easier they break.
Blueray is more complex.
Do you have something to back this or is it just hearsay?
Couldn't find anything on google regarding that, and the most sold
BluRay player (PS3) isn't exactly known for high failure rates... (while
a competitor's platform that is using a DVD is getting bashed for
scratched discs and other reader issues).
Eric

Re: Paramount Switches To Blu-ray

Like Sony and co. didn't spread FUD? They did and are.
Be my guest, give the substantiated examples please :)
Eric

Re: Paramount Switches To Blu-ray

Guys, please discuss the format wars in .off-topic.
Thank you,
-Craig
Please read and follow Borland's rules for the user of their
server: support.borland.com/entry.jspa

Re: Paramount Switches To Blu-ray

"Eric Grange" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>Nope. HD DVD provides same picture, sound but more usability features.
>That makes it better.

Sorry, but that is just not the case.

HD-DVD picture technically can not be same or superior unless you're
comparing against an artifically gimped BluRay encoding: same codec but
less space and less bandwidth just means more compression, no rocket
science there.
The same story goes for sound.
Nope, you are dead wrong. The average HD movie takes only 4-15GB. QED.
PS: I am sorry you got tricked into buying an HDDVD player.
I'm sorry you spent more to get the same thing.