Re: Delphi in Danger

that was discussed and trolled so many times...

Re: Delphi in Danger

In recent years Lazarus gets better and better while Delphis innovations
progress has stopped. The advantages of Lazarus are the cross platform
strategy, the fast installer, the language enhancements and last not
least the very fast bug fixing within days. Codegear is very small and
has lost so much time with "New Microsoft Technology" efforts: MSI based
installer, MS doc explorer... Technologies that don't work very well and
constrain the RAD idea. I think it would be very hard for Codegear to
catch up the "cross" thing. Codegear must start now! Giving out clear
mile stones and technical details to the community. The cross train is
comming. I guess it takes at least 3 years to get a production grade
toolset.

Re: Delphi in Danger

Rod writes:

In recent years Lazarus gets better and better while Delphis
innovations progress has stopped. The advantages of Lazarus are the
cross platform strategy, the fast installer, the language
enhancements and last not least the very fast bug fixing within days.
Codegear is very small and has lost so much time with "New Microsoft
Technology" efforts: MSI based installer, MS doc explorer...
Technologies that don't work very well and constrain the RAD idea. I
think it would be very hard for Codegear to catch up the "cross"
thing. Codegear must start now! Giving out clear mile stones and
technical details to the community. The cross train is comming. I
guess it takes at least 3 years to get a production grade toolset.
If CG really wanted that (cross platform Delphi), they would hire
Lazarus guys.
GC

Re: Delphi in Danger

Indeed
"Florent Ouchet" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Rod writes:

In recent years Lazarus gets better and better while Delphis
innovations progress has stopped.
Ah, YADIDT. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] www.teamb.com
"The difference between what the most and the least learned

Re: Delphi in Danger

For career reasons, I am moving over to the Java camp. I just got the
NetBeans IDE and J2EE SDK installed on my Vista laptop.
They say it is (J2EE) an enterprise class application and web services
platform. I have to agree with them. It looks so promising a
technology that I (always a Delphi fan) took time out to write this
post.
Sun open sourced Java recently (www.regdeveloper.co.uk/
2006/11/13/sun_opensources_java/) . it is not much longer before the
tidal wave of innovation starts breaking through the barriers of
software development from the open source developer community. We will
see a barrage of addons, plugins and extensions to the language
being published by programmers everywhere. But the important thing is
what's going to happen next. One needs little convincing that the
platform is going to evolve into something huge. History speaks for
itself.. from the humble beginnings of Java to what it is now - truly
Wow!

Re: Delphi in Danger

On 2008-01-06, Mike Margerum <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
i'll use lazarus when my hi world application is less than 2mb. i
did run strip on the exe. when i started to actually use a few
components, it balloned to 3.5 mb. This is completely unacceptable.
especially on a mobile platform.
Then you do something wrong. I threw some components on a form (checkbox,
memo, speedbutton, bitbtn, listview etc) and got 1.2MB.

Re: Delphi in Danger

Olivier Pons schrieb:
why don't you go C/Linux :
#include <stdio.h>

int main(char** argv, int argc) {
printf("hello world\n");
return 0;
}

a.out =>4680 bytes
Why not use good old DOS command line:
echo hi world
about 16 bytes only!

Re: Delphi in Danger

Mike Margerum writes:
i'll use lazarus when my hi world application is less than 2mb. i
did run strip on the exe. when i started to actually use a few
components, it balloned to 3.5 mb. This is completely unacceptable.
especially on a mobile platform.
Did you use the latest version? The whole IDE lazarus.exe has 8.5 MB only.

Re: Delphi in Danger

Rod writes:
In recent years Lazarus gets better and better while Delphis innovations
progress has stopped. The advantages of Lazarus are the cross platform
strategy, the fast installer, the language enhancements and last not
least the very fast bug fixing within days. Codegear is very small and
Who's in danger? Customers? I don't think having more choices is bad.
CodeGear? They don't seem afraid of Lazarus. Borland owners are more
scary, specially now that they're troubled in the stock market.

Re: Delphi in Danger

Dear XXXX@XXXXX.COM,
Is this your first visit to the Delphi newsgroups? I don't see much
else.
And did you just drop in to promote a program you favor or have an
interest in?
Why would you come to this group of people who share only one thing in
common - an interest in Delphi - to bash Delphi.
Nevermind, don't even answer. Just go to Lazarus.
--
Patrick Moloney

Re: Delphi in Danger

Patrick Moloney writes:
Dear XXXX@XXXXX.COM,

Is this your first visit to the Delphi newsgroups? I don't see much
else.
And did you just drop in to promote a program you favor or have an
interest in?
Why would you come to this group of people who share only one thing in
common - an interest in Delphi - to bash Delphi.
Nevermind, don't even answer. Just go to Lazarus.

I am interested in a strong Delphi. My business is based on it. But I
see Lazarus gets stronger every year and I can hardly see any innovation
in Delphi for years. More and more people have moved to Lazarus due to
cross platform, more language features, IDE speed, CE .......

Re: Delphi in Danger

I am interested in a strong Delphi. My business is based on it. But I see
Lazarus gets stronger every year and I can hardly see any innovation in
Delphi for years. More and more people have moved to Lazarus due to cross
platform, more language features, IDE speed, CE .......
I am only happy Lazarus is getting better.
Of course one could always also wish for
Delphi to grow much bigger. But the more
options become available for Object Pascal
/ VCL / RTL etc. the better for us who use it.
I don't think Delphi will loose its edge on Windows,
so for me it is win-win if alternatives pop up.
--
best regards
Thomas Schulz :: A1 Sitemap Generator

Re: Delphi in Danger

Patrick Moloney writes:
Why would you come to this group of people who share only one thing in
common - an interest in Delphi - to bash Delphi.
Now I know you're not new here Patrick, so I am a little bemused by this
comment. This is non-tech, which seems to be almost exclusively
reserved for this kind of behaviour. :-)
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re: Delphi in Danger

On 2008-01-06, Mike Margerum <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
>i'll use lazarus when my hi world application is less than 2mb. i
>did run strip on the exe. when i started to actually use a few
>components, it balloned to 3.5 mb. This is completely unacceptable.
>especially on a mobile platform.

Then you do something wrong. I threw some components on a form (checkbox,
memo, speedbutton, bitbtn, listview etc) and got 1.2MB.
Doesn't matter what an expert does.. it matters what the newbies first
impression are.. even if the expert is right ;-)
Customers are always right kinda thing. Even if size does not matter in
many cases, the darn human nature is what matters.. and human instinct ;-)