D4 and Vesta

2006-12-26 12:39:07 PM
delphi24
Hi
I have written an application using D4 which has not worked with Vista is
this normal..?
--
www.udopage.com
The Worlds Quickest Web Authoring Tool

Re:D4 and Vesta

Possum writes:
Hi

I have written an application using D4 which has not worked with Vista is
this normal..?

Maybe, describe the problems. Normally with some security tweaks it will
work.

Re:D4 and Vesta

Total Crash.. Program just won't run
this is a screen shot of the error
udopage.com/Screen%20Shot%20of%20Crash.php
I was thinking D4 may not be too stable on Vesta..
Just out of interest what version is Delphi up to?
"Craig" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

"Possum" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Hi

I have written an application using D4 which has not worked with Vista is
this normal..?

--
www.udopage.com
The Worlds Quickest Web Authoring Tool

Windows Vista holds many surprises for those of us in the software
development community. I haven't been able to install Adobe Acrobat Reader
8 on Vista Ultimate (RTM from MSDN), even with user account control
temporarily disabled. The installer is reporting a problem with my temp
folder, which seems to be set up correctly.
JM

Re:D4 and Vesta

Total Crash.. Program just won't run

this is a screen shot of the error

udopage.com/Screen%20Shot%20of%20Crash.php

I was thinking D4 may not be too stable on Vesta..
Just out of interest what version is Delphi up to?

Delphi is currently up to version 10 (2006) so version 4 is pretty old.
The error seems to be some kind of error with COM objects not being
registered properly. Bit hard to tell with that much info.
Craig

Re:D4 and Vesta

Craig writes:
Delphi is currently up to version 10 (2006) so version 4 is pretty old.
The error seems to be some kind of error with COM objects not being
registered properly. Bit hard to tell with that much info.
There's simply an OCX or DLL missing and/or not properly REGSVR32-ed. This
inevitably will happen in Vista when you have 3rd party and/or older
components that use these classes - I don't think Delphi's the culprit in
this case.
(My D3 applications run in Vista quite fine)
--
Ben

Re:D4 and Vesta

Craig <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
>Total Crash.. Program just won't run
>
>this is a screen shot of the error
>
>udopage.com/Screen%20Shot%20of%20Crash.php
>
>I was thinking D4 may not be too stable on Vesta..
>Just out of interest what version is Delphi up to?

Delphi is currently up to version 10 (2006) so version 4 is pretty old.
The error seems to be some kind of error with COM objects not being
registered properly. Bit hard to tell with that much info.
Udo,
It is possible that it is not your application it self that fails, but
rather the install time registration of the COM object(s). Is there a
way for the user to manually register the COM object(s)?
Are you using a .MSI installer?
Lars F.

Re:D4 and Vesta

I have written an application using D4 which has not worked with Vista is
this normal..?
My memory of D4 is that one should be surprised if it works with anything :)
We'll that is not entirely true, but I couldn't resist. D5 was a vast
improvement over D4, but D4 really is too old to be concerned if it doesn't
work. One could always try the new Turbo versions.
Oliver Townshend

Re:D4 and Vesta

"Oliver Townshend" <oliveratzipdotcomdotau>writes
>I have written an application using D4 which has not worked with Vista
is
>this normal..?

My memory of D4 is that one should be surprised if it works with anything
:)

We'll that is not entirely true, but I couldn't resist. D5 was a vast
improvement over D4, but D4 really is too old to be concerned if it
doesn't
work. One could always try the new Turbo versions.
The D4 IDE had stability issues, but was reasonable once patched. That is a
different issue from stability of the compiled EXEs.
We find no problems for our D4 compiled GUI EXE on WinXP, so I don't think
you will have any Vista problems which are caused by any deficiencies
specific to D4. I think Vista issues will be pretty much the same for D4
thru D6, and those issues are often discussed on this newsgroup.
Can you spell out what "not worked with Vista" means. Customer reports are
often vague, and I think we developers will need to do our own Vista
testing.
Roger Lascelles

Re:D4 and Vesta

CivetCat writes:
<snip>
Windows Vista holds many surprises for those of us in the software
development community. I haven't been able to install Adobe Acrobat
Reader 8 on Vista Ultimate (RTM from MSDN), even with user account
control temporarily disabled. The installer is reporting a problem
with my temp folder, which seems to be set up correctly.
This is most likely NTFS user rights, Vista has extremely tight user
rights handling, it is looks like linux at the file level, you only have
write rights in your own directory structure, anything outside it and
you only have read rights or none at all. Even if you have an
administrator account.