Code Co-op

2006-10-26 11:57:52 PM
delphi81
Does anybody have any experience with this VC software? I am looking for
something inexpensive for a small team.
Russ

Re:Code Co-op

We use it between three developers all working from home and it is an excellent
tool. When first suggested I was quite unsure - source control via email with
no central database, this must be a toy. But three years later and I have no
reservations. The support is also excellent.

Re:Code Co-op

Russ writes:
Does anybody have any experience with this VC software? I am looking for
something inexpensive for a small team.
Why not use SVN, it is free and quite easy to setup.
--
Olivier Sannier
JVCL Coordinator

Re:Code Co-op

I downloaded it but could not find any instructions on how to install it.
Russ
"OBones" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

"Russ" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I downloaded it but could not find any instructions on how to install it.

Russ

Hi Russ,
I set up Subversion together with TortoiseSVN in an hour last friday. I
didn't have any experience with it before.
I used the manual from TortoiseSVN:
tortoisesvn.net/node/148
I followed the Setting Up A Server/Svnserve Based Server chapter in that
book and it worked fine.
It really looks quite nice when everything was set up. Also, if you want
integration with the IDE check out SourceConnexion + PushOK CVS Proxy from
Epocalipse Software:
www.epocalipse.com
It plugs into the Delphi IDE and makes it really easy to check in out
project files.
Best of luck!
Tom Reiertsen

Re:Code Co-op

Tom Reiertsen writes:
I set up Subversion together with TortoiseSVN in an hour last friday. I
didn't have any experience with it before.
Maybe you can help on these questions:
I installed SVN and TortoiseSVN but couldn't figure out how and where
one was supposed to create new repositories.
I would create one called "ProjectA" and then TortoiseSVN or SVN would
create yet another folder under it called "ProjectA".
And I wasn't sure whether to create the new project under the main
Repository folder or where.
Plus I got confused about how to start when I already have source code
in a local folder on my system. It seemed to immediately create another
local folder - made me nervous I might accidentally overwrite my
existing source.
Finally, the Apache server didn't win any points with the Network Admin,
but I was prepared to defend that if I had been able to confidently get
started with SVN.

Re:Code Co-op

Richard Grossman writes:
Tom Reiertsen writes:
>I set up Subversion together with TortoiseSVN in an hour last friday.
>I didn't have any experience with it before.

Maybe you can help on these questions:

I installed SVN and TortoiseSVN but couldn't figure out how and where
one was supposed to create new repositories.
Typically you'd have your repositories on a server somewhere.
We have the repositories on our server and access them via the svn:// protocol, using svnserve (port 3690 I think). So, on your server you would create the repositories using the svnadmin.exe utility. For example you'd create a "research" repository via the commandline like so:
svnadmin create c:\svn\repos\research\
This would create a "research" repository which you would access using TortoiseSVN via:
svn://[servername]/research/

I would create one called "ProjectA" and then TortoiseSVN or SVN would
create yet another folder under it called "ProjectA".
Not sure what you mean here. Created 'one' what? and where? and how?
And I wasn't sure whether to create the new project under the main
Repository folder or where.
You should never need to access anything in the repository folder structure (apart from the password and access config files). Think of the repository and the repository folder as a black-box 'database' that you query against to insert, update, delete your code.
Plus I got confused about how to start when I already have source code
in a local folder on my system. It seemed to immediately create another
local folder - made me nervous I might accidentally overwrite my
existing source.
To add a 'project' code to svn, you'd do an import. So right-click under the folders root path and select "TortoiseSVN->Import..." then specify where you want to import this code into. Using the example above, it might be svn://[servername]/research/delphi/eco/trunk/
Some notes about importing:
- You may have to create the parent folders in svn before you do the import. In the example above, I think you have to create ./delphi/eco/ folders. You can do this via the Repo-Browser (under TortoiseSVN submenu) and using the context menu (you may notice after a while that TortoiseSVN uses context-menus a lot).
- Importing only imports the files. If you want to start using the files, you will have to check-out the project from the repository.
- I suggest you remove any files/folders that you don't want to version control before you do the import. Such files as dcu's, dsk's, etc.

Finally, the Apache server didn't win any points with the Network Admin,
but I was prepared to defend that if I had been able to confidently get
started with SVN.
As described above you could use svnserve if apache isn't possible. I would suggest doing that first so you don't have to worry about setting up apache as well.
As a previous poster described, read through the TortoiseSVN help, or you could read through the svn book for more info:
svnbook.red-bean.com/
Hopefully that should get you started.
Cheers
Nicholas

Re:Code Co-op

"Richard Grossman" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<snip>
Hi Richard,
Nicholas answered most of the question. I am running svnserve and not using
Apache at all, you don't need it unless you want to use the http or https
protocols.. Check on the documentation of how to launch svnserve.
Best Regards,
Tom Reiertsen

Re:Code Co-op

Russ writes:
Does anybody have any experience with this VC software? I am looking
for something inexpensive for a small team.

Have you tried JediVCS? See my sig.
Russ
--
Best regards,
Fikret Hasovic fikret.fbtalk.net

Re:Code Co-op

If you don't want/can use a central server to store the source code
repository on, it is an excellent tool. We've used it for several years and
it has worked flawlessly.
Best regards,
Frederik Slijkerman
"Russ" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Does anybody have any experience with this VC software? I am looking for
something inexpensive for a small team.

Russ

Re:Code Co-op

It has worked well for me.
"Russ" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Does anybody have any experience with this VC software? I am looking for
something inexpensive for a small team.

Russ

Re:Code Co-op

Thanks for all the feedback!