Re: The Next Keyboard Standard?

2005-01-27 05:37:25 AM
delphi195
If I were
to get this new keyboard and get used to it, I'd begin to have a great
deal of trouble at least 99% of the time I needed to use anyone else's.
I use to get some stress every time when I need to type some mix (Latin/Cyrillic) text.
My speed seriously drops.

Re: The Next Keyboard Standard?

Ive never seen a Dvorak keyboard.
There are some keyboards that are actually manufactured with the keys
physically rearranged; it is also possible to get sticky key labels to stick
on a QWERTY keyboard.
I can not afford the former, and never bothered with the latter - I forced
myself to learn Dvorak on a QWERTY keyboard so as to enforce touch-typing.
(no, I am not a {*word*45} ;-)). So my keyboards are normal, but when I type "Q"
I get """; 'W" = "<"; etc. This has become much more workable in recent
years as MS has made keyboard layout swapping more accessible within
Windows.
Here's the layout, if you're interested (or even if you're not interested
;-))
"<>PYFGCRL?+|
AOEUIDHTNS-
;QJKXBMWVZ
And you're right, the powerball _is_ cool.
--
Robert Leahey
www.automatedqa.com
AutomatedQA - Robert Leahey writes:

>Perhaps, although it only took my 4 year old a couple of days to
>figure things out in QWERTY. it is been a couple of years now and
>she's only now asking why things are so weird on a computer. ;-) I
>don't have the heart to tell her that the weirdness only starts at
>the keyboard.

hehe, I remember my first day on my amstrad6128..

I had in front of me in the manual (I still have it somewhere, and a
replacement 6128.. :P)

type in the following

10 Print "This is a test"
20 Goto 10
Run

So.. after the above took me about an hour to type...... I think if it
had been alphabetical as I wasnt being logical at this point I didnt
read the keys in order, I just stared.. but if the keys had been a-z Id
have done better, but as a touch typist now who when angry can probably
manage about 125wpm, its well second nature :)

>Sorry for the novel - I tend to get on a Dvorak-soapbox. ;-)

No worries. Ive never seen a Dvorak keyboard. I have to say I took a
while to get used to my natural keyboard which finally forced me to use
the right fingers for *all* keys, where as before Id be fluid about it,
in that if I had used a z my right hand might do the next t.. as my
right hand was more free.. the natural keyboard put and end to that but
certainly it has improved my typing.. I find I am far less prone to the
keyboard wander and typing like 1 character to the left/right wibble I
used to. Plus I dont suffer from any pains now..

Although EQ did give me some serious pains when I played a bard and did
a /lot/ of running in circles I found the cursor keys played havoc on
my right arm, but its over that now :) thanks to www.powerballs.com
they are exceedingly fun and great for strains

:)

Re: The Next Keyboard Standard?

AutomatedQA - Robert Leahey writes:
(no, I am not a {*word*45} ;-)).
Just a {*word*37}! <g>
It used to be that other people's achievements were considered an
inspiration, not a grievance.

Re: The Next Keyboard Standard?

The Dvorak and Qwerty layouts were created with the recognition that
the lower row is more difficult to reach, so less common letters are
placed there. Dvorak placed letters to alternate the most common
bigraphs between left and right hands. Qwerty has the same feature to
some extent to limit the print bar jamming of the early typewriters.
By simply transposing the letters dfjk with etni, changeing qwerty to
qwdrfy, the amount of average text typed from the new home row keys
would rise to 37.5%, from the 7.5% at present. This would reduce
overall finger reaching by 40%.
Best of all it keeps the letters under the same fingers for easy
learning.
Why not try it out for yourself, there is nothing to lose but a few
minutes of time.
Why jof fry kf ouf tor yoursdlt, fhdrd ks jofhkjg fo losd buf a tdw
mkjufds ot fkmd.

"Wayne Niddery [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>a écrit dans le message de
AutomatedQA - Robert Leahey writes:
>(no, I am not a {*word*45} ;-)).

Just a {*word*37}! <g>
Which is it ? The {*word*37} says 'Hit me, Hit me' the {*word*45} says 'No' :-)
Joanna
Consultant Software Engineer
TeamBUG support for UK-BUG
TeamMM support for ModelMaker

Re: The Next Keyboard Standard?

Just a {*word*37}! <g>
Now, now...
I blame my keyboard layout. I _typed_ "{*word*37}" but "{*word*45}" came out.
;-)
--
Robert Leahey
www.automatedqa.com
AutomatedQA - Robert Leahey writes:
>(no, I am not a {*word*45} ;-)).

Just a {*word*37}! <g>

It used to be that other people's achievements were considered an
inspiration, not a grievance.

Re: The Next Keyboard Standard?

Which is it ? The {*word*37} says 'Hit me, Hit me' the {*word*45} says 'No' :-)
In this case, the {*word*37} says, "Make me type on a screwed-up keyboard
layout..."
Hi Joanna.
--
"Joanna Carter (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
news: 41f8431d$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...

"AutomatedQA - Robert Leahey" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>a écrit dans le
message de news: 41f912e6$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
In this case, the {*word*37} says, "Make me type on a screwed-up keyboard
layout..."
Hehe, I have a great way of keeping over-enthusiastic clients from typing on
my keyboard - it is a French layout :-))
Of course, that ruse doesn't work too well in France :-(
Joanna
Consultant Software Engineer
TeamBUG support for UK-BUG
TeamMM support for ModelMaker

Re: The Next Keyboard Standard?

"Joanna Carter (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
"AutomatedQA - Robert Leahey" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>a écrit dans le
message de news: 41f912e6$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...

>In this case, the {*word*37} says, "Make me type on a screwed-up keyboard
>layout..."

Hehe, I have a great way of keeping over-enthusiastic clients from typing
on
my keyboard - it is a French layout :-))

Of course, that ruse doesn't work too well in France :-(
Errm... I use a Russian keyboard. it is got English and Cyrillic letters. The
Cyrillic is in red and the English is in black. It doesn't half confuse
people!

Re: The Next Keyboard Standard?

Errm... I use a Russian keyboard. it is got English and Cyrillic letters. The
Cyrillic is in red and the English is in black. It doesn't half confuse
people!

Yes, you can even order replacement keys like that with different
alphabets on them.

Re: The Next Keyboard Standard?

"Ingvar Nilsen" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
AutomatedQA - Robert Leahey writes:

>"...and offers many advances over QWERTY and DVORAK designs."
>
><sarcasm>Yeah, right. </>For me, QWERTY = severe tendon pain. Dvorak
>= no tendon pain. New design = God help me.
>
>Dvorak places the 10 most often used characters in the "home row" - I
>don't see where alphabetical order is an improvement.

There is an option with the QWERTY keyboard, developed by NASA, I cannot
find the url, sorry, maybe Kirk can chime in.
You don't hold your hands the traditional way, they are held closer.
Hi, Ingvar,
Is this what you mean?
www.datahand.com
Kirk Halgren
"Science is like sex: sometimes something useful comes out, but that is not
the reason we are doing it."
-- Richard Feynman

Re: The Next Keyboard Standard?

"AutomatedQA - Robert Leahey" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>Ive never seen a Dvorak keyboard.

There are some keyboards that are actually manufactured with the keys
physically rearranged; it is also possible to get sticky key labels to
stick
on a QWERTY keyboard.
<snip>
Hi, Robert,
Most keyboards which I have seen allow you to pop loose all the keycaps and
rearrange them for DVORAK. If the keys are contoured, this winds up looking
pretty weird but still works. For flat keyboards, it looks as though it was
manufactured that way.
I would think that your keyboard manufacturer could answer this question.

"eshipman" <mr_delphi_developer@yahoo!!!.com>writes
Yes, you can even order replacement keys like that with different
alphabets on them.
Interesting. Sanscript comes to mind :P