Re: Stray poll: DBs for Delphi non-tech

2005-01-22 01:22:26 AM
delphi114
Kostya writes:
>(May I suggest never using and AS400 for any application ever,
>regardless of your development environment!)

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with it?
(I do not know AS400 at all)
AS400s suck.
They just do
I know I hate them with a lot of passion
I know deep inside they are harmless and stuff, they are just boring
and dull and and I just hate them :)

Liz writes:
Ingvar Nilsen writes:

>>TBTree
>
>This is an interesting poll, there are databases I have never heard
>of..

Id imagine its just a BTree derivitive :)
Doesn't help, haven't heard about that one either :)
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re: Stray poll: DBs for Delphi non-tech

In article <41f13a52$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
Kostya writes:

>>(May I suggest never using and AS400 for any application ever,
>>regardless of your development environment!)
>
>Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with it?
>(I do not know AS400 at all)

AS400s suck.

They just do

I know I hate them with a lot of passion

I know deep inside they are harmless and stuff, they are just boring
and dull and and I just hate them :)

Awww come on. Programming in RPG ain't all that bad.... :)
--
John
Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

John Wester [Group W] writes:
Awww come on. Programming in RPG ain't all that bad.... :)
No, just my first job started as AS400 operator, and the woman doing
the coding couldnt code her way out of a paper bag and was stroppy and
it just holds a lot of bad memories, that and my Car accident as it
used to take 36 hours to back it up each month.... solid.

Re: Stray poll: DBs for Delphi non-tech

used to take 36 hours to back it up each month.... solid.
At one point, the accounting software company I used to work for had a
client where the end of month processing took nearly 4 weeks :-) A few
of days of frantic data entry and they started it again. A new version
finally kicked the EOM processing over 4 weeks...
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Falafel Software www.falafelsoft.com

John Wester [Group W] writes:
Awww come on. Programming in RPG ain't all that bad.... :)
Ugh! Back in my mainframe days we got as much evening computer time as
we wanted. The price was that I had to maintain a couple of systems
written in RPG. Ugh again!
--
Mike Orriss
RemObjects Software

Re: Stray poll: DBs for Delphi non-tech

Eric Grange writes:
After reading this (tinyurl.com/67ggc), I kinda wondered what
databases were most people here primarily using and deploying to?
(list only the top two or three DBs for your applications)

Firebird and Oracle here.

And do you access these with out-of-the-Delphi-box
components/libraries, or do you use something else?

Tweaked FreeIB and ODAC here.

Eric
Firebird!!!
--
Best regards
Fikret Hasovic fikret.fbtalk.net

Re: Stray poll: DBs for Delphi non-tech

Fikret Hasovic writes:

Firebird!!!
Forgot to say that I am using it with IBX and UIB.
And kbmMW allways ;)
--

Eric Grange schreef:
After reading this (tinyurl.com/67ggc), I kinda wondered what
databases were most people here *primarily* using and deploying to?
(list only the top two or three DBs for your applications)
1) MS SQL Server 2000
2) MS Jet 4 (a.k.a. Access)
And do you access these with out-of-the-Delphi-box components/libraries,
or do you use something else?
built-in Delphi Ado components and tBetteradodataset, but
also native ADO classes/interfaces.
Very happy with it, ADO is an admirable technology and is
here to stay for quite a while.
--
Arthur Hoornweg
(In order to reply per e-mail, please just remove the ".net"

Eric Grange writes:
After reading this (tinyurl.com/67ggc), I kinda wondered
what databases were most people here primarily using and
deploying to? (list only the top two or three DBs for your
applications)

Firebird and Oracle here.

And do you access these with out-of-the-Delphi-box
components/libraries, or do you use something else?

Tweaked FreeIB and ODAC here.
Microsoft Access (mostly 97), SQL Server 2000, and Oracle 9i.
Almost entirely with ADO (bog standard Delphi out-of-the-box dbGo),
some with Direct Oracle Access.
-Brion