[ANN] DbxoODBC 2.014 - Kylix/Delphi Open Source ODBC dbExpress driver

2004-04-13 07:17:00 PM
delphi178
Hello, All!
DbxoODBC 2.014 - Kylix/Delphi Open Source ODBC dbExpress driver.
WhatNews:
Version 2.014
Version 2.013
-------------------------
+ Changed TSqlCommandOdbc - added stored procedure support.
+ fixed memory leak in TSqlConnectionOdbc.disconnect
+ fixed memory leak in TSqlCursorMetaDataProcedureParams.Destroy
+ Implemented UNICODE support (fldZSTRING, fldstUNICODE).
Although dbExpress components does not support that, DENT
supports and driver works very well. I have added connection
parameter 'EnableUnicode', it is by default Off.
+ Added new ISqlCommandOdbc interface, with new cancel method.
[...]
Home page:
open-dbexpress.sourceforge.net/
SourceForge Project Home Page:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/open-dbexpress/
First, you must test with the latest version from the CVS area:
Project Sources:
I recommend Tortoise CVS as the easiest to use Windows CVS client, from
www.tortoisecvs.org
You will need to enter the CVS path (all on one line, including the
leading colon:
:pserver:XXXX@XXXXX.COM:/cvsroot/open-dbexpres
or
Example of loading/updating of the project from CVS by means of a batch
file. For work it is necessary to edit a path to cvs.exe.
load_cvs_dbxoodbc.bat
@echo off
set path=C:\Program Files\WinCVS\CVSNT;%path%
rem set path=D:\CygWin\bin;%path%
echo **********************************************
echo - When prompted for a password for anonymous,
echo simply press the Enter key.
echo **********************************************
set cvsproj=cvs-pserver.sourceforge.net:80/cvsroot/open-dbexpress
echo on
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@%cvsproj% login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@%cvsproj% co dbxoodbc

Re:[ANN] DbxoODBC 2.014 - Kylix/Delphi Open Source ODBC dbExpress driver

Why? This is an open source project related to dbExpress. I don't
see any problem with this (regardless of the newsgroup guidelines).
Yorai Aminov (TeamB) writes:
Please limit announcements to the b.p.d.thirdpartytools.general
group. Your post has been cancelled.

--
Thomas Miller
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software

Re:[ANN] DbxoODBC 2.014 - Kylix/Delphi Open Source ODBC dbExpress driver

Please limit announcements to the b.p.d.thirdpartytools.general
group. Your post has been cancelled.
--
Yorai Aminov (TeamB)
Shorter Path - www.shorterpath.com
Yorai's Page - www.yoraispage.com

Re:[ANN] DbxoODBC 2.014 - Kylix/Delphi Open Source ODBC dbExpress driver

Second agree to that !
Guidelines are wrong and not **allways** are forced.
And what is more important - driver helps much more
to many of us, than Borland drivers ...
--
Dmitry Arefiev, gs-soft Company, community.gs-soft.com
Personal - www.da-soft.com

Yorai Aminov (TeamB) writes:
>Please limit announcements to the b.p.d.thirdpartytools.general
>group. Your post has been cancelled.

Re:[ANN] DbxoODBC 2.014 - Kylix/Delphi Open Source ODBC dbExpress driver

Borland's servers, Borland's rules. If you think that should change,
I guess you could discuss the rules in the .non-technical group.
Open ODBC driver allows to work using dbExpress technology
to many people. Borland does not support so well own technology.
New version of odbc driver is a great news to dbExpress newsgroup
and to 3d party one. Do you want people miss it ? Or you want
to force them to read only one of these groups ?
--
Dmitry Arefiev, gs-soft Company, community.gs-soft.com
Personal - www.da-soft.com
SAPx - Delphi to SAP R/3 direct access
Saphir - SAP R/3 metadata on your fingertips
MetaBase - ERWIN model in Delphi applications
NCOCI8 - Freeware Delphi to ORACLE direct access

Re:[ANN] DbxoODBC 2.014 - Kylix/Delphi Open Source ODBC dbExpress driver

Because past experience has proven conclusively that if Borland let's
announcements about non-Borland products appear in the technical
groups people will abuse it.
Is this group about dbExpress technology or just about
Borland implementation of dbExpress technology ?
And for a while, people are abused by Borland drivers <g>
It will be 1 year, as i have sayd, there will be no updates
to dbExpress in nearest future. I was right. Just will clarify
- nearest or near or "sensible" future is few months, not a
year[s].
Be carefull with rules ...
This has been discussed extensively
(almost endlessly :) ) between Borland and TeamB and the policy is not
going to change.
I am not a TeamB, so i am not sure about policy should
not change <g>
--

On 13/04/2004 16:41:58, Thomas Miller writes:
Why? This is an open source project related to dbExpress. I don't
see any problem with this
Well, the original poster has multi-posted this to the
.thirdpartytools group as well. Either it is announced there or
discussed here.
(regardless of the newsgroup guidelines).
Borland's servers, Borland's rules. If you think that should change,
I guess you could discuss the rules in the .non-technical group.
--
Yorai Aminov (TeamB)
Shorter Path - www.shorterpath.com
Yorai's Page - www.yoraispage.com

Re:[ANN] DbxoODBC 2.014 - Kylix/Delphi Open Source ODBC dbExpress driver

You dont have answered on my question ...
Anyway, next question (you will get why i was asking ...) -
why Ramesh Thaivendran was anouncing here ? Better
place should be ... what ? 1d party ? <g>
It was technology anouncement - goes here. And product
anouncement - goes in 3d party. One things - two faces.
--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
Dmitry Arefiev [gs-soft.ru] writes:

>Is this group about dbExpress technology or just about
>Borland implementation of dbExpress technology ?

This group is for peer support for dbExpress users. The purpose of
the group is to help folks who use dbExpress get their code to work.

Please don't bicker about the newsgroup rules. They are what they
are, and they are in place because, historically, adverti{*word*224}ts for
third-party products -- whether free or not -- have gotten in the way
of providing peer support for developers.

-Craig

Re:[ANN] DbxoODBC 2.014 - Kylix/Delphi Open Source ODBC dbExpress driver

It was technology anouncement - goes here. And product
anouncement - goes in 3d party. One things - two faces.
I was about Open ODBC driver.
--
Dmitry Arefiev, gs-soft Company, community.gs-soft.com
Personal - www.da-soft.com
SAPx - Delphi to SAP R/3 direct access
Saphir - SAP R/3 metadata on your fingertips
MetaBase - ERWIN model in Delphi applications
NCOCI8 - Freeware Delphi to ORACLE direct access

Re:[ANN] DbxoODBC 2.014 - Kylix/Delphi Open Source ODBC dbExpress driver

>It was technology anouncement - goes here. And product
>anouncement - goes in 3d party. One things - two faces.

Please don't try to explain the rules if you don't understand them.
Please, dont take a rules as "once and forever". Otherwise
i will stop explain my point of view <g>
--
[...]

Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
IB 6 versions prior to 6.0.1.6 are pre-release and may corrupt
your DBs! Open Edition users, get 6.0.1.6 from mers.com

Re:[ANN] DbxoODBC 2.014 - Kylix/Delphi Open Source ODBC dbExpress driver

Then the policy should be changed for open source
tools that are specific to a technology area. Maybe
you can bring this up the next time you guys meet.
Why should Indy get special treatment?
--
Thomas Miller
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software
BSS Enterprise Accounting FrameWork
www.bss-software.com
sourceforge.net/projects/dbexpressplus

Re:[ANN] DbxoODBC 2.014 - Kylix/Delphi Open Source ODBC dbExpress driver

Dmitry Arefiev [gs-soft.ru] writes:
Anyway, next question (you will get why i was asking ...) -
why Ramesh Thaivendran was anouncing here ? Better
place should be ... what ? 1d party ? <g>
Borland owns the news server. They can do whatever they want with it.
It was technology anouncement - goes here. And product
anouncement - goes in 3d party. One things - two faces.
Please don't try to explain the rules if you don't understand them.
Thank you,
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
IB 6 versions prior to 6.0.1.6 are pre-release and may corrupt
your DBs! Open Edition users, get 6.0.1.6 from mers.com

Re:[ANN] DbxoODBC 2.014 - Kylix/Delphi Open Source ODBC dbExpress driver

Dmitry Arefiev [gs-soft.ru] writes:
Please, dont take a rules as "once and forever". Otherwise
i will stop explain my point of view <g>
Again, please don't attempt to explain the rules to me, or bicker
about them. it is completely pointless. I can tell you that the rules
regarding multi-posting and third-party announcements are not going to
be changed for this case.
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
How to ask questions the smart way:

On 13/04/2004 20:25:19, Dmitry Arefiev [gs-soft.ru] writes:
Open ODBC driver allows to work using dbExpress technology
to many people. Borland does not support so well own technology.
This is irrelevant to the issue at hand. The message was posted to
this group and to the third-party tools group. This violates the
guidelines. End of story.
You may disagree, but these are Borland's servers. This discussion is
off-topic in this group (or any other technical group). If you wish
to discuss Borland's policies, feel free to do so in the
.non-technical group. Follow-up set.