Re: Which Web Technology?

2005-02-01 11:14:02 PM
delphi2
Most of the customers already have a domain hosting so they wants
their new website to be compatible with their existing hosting but
most of the time it is not possible with IW. Because, if our customers
If your server is a windows server, then why wouldn't it be compatible?
IW compiles to Standlone and DSO, which might not be compatible, but
also compiles perfectly as an ISAPI dll, which is usable on IIS and
many other windows web servers.
--
Jason Southwell
www.arcanatech.com

Re: Which Web Technology?

Andrea Raimondi writes:
Nick, the same ones that have been beaten to death, here and on your
blog, on my blog and in many other places.
Ahh, well I don't really see them as "limitations". Or, if they are
"limitations", then every system has limitations.
I think ASP.NET is terrific, and easily the best solution for web
development out there.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re: Which Web Technology?

101 % my view of the issues here...
Zarko Gajic
delphi.about.com
aspxdelphi.net
"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Andrea Raimondi writes:

>Nick, the same ones that have been beaten to death, here and on your
>blog, on my blog and in many other places.

Ahh, well I don't really see them as "limitations". Or, if they are
"limitations", then every system has limitations.

I think ASP.NET is terrific, and easily the best solution for web
development out there.

--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com
Read my Blog -- www.lemanix.com/nick

Re: Which Web Technology?

I think ASP.NET is terrific, and easily the best solution for web
development out there.
I agree, I am using VS.NET and C# to build ASP.NET apps and it works great...
--
Kevin Boswell
Legend Software, Inc.

Re: Which Web Technology?

"Kevin Boswell" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>I think ASP.NET is terrific, and easily the best solution for web
>development out there.

I agree, I am using VS.NET and C# to build ASP.NET apps and it works
great...
I do the same thing for Web Applications and now some web services (ASP.NET,
VS C#). Last year was the first I have ever programmed a web application,
but I feel pretty comfortable with the technology now.
I have created W32 web service consumers in Delphi 6 now, so I can combine
the old with the new. It works great for me.
-Johnnie

Re: Which Web Technology?

Anyone notice what eBay uses? I always suspected they might be using
Delphi or C++ Builder to create ISAPI dlls. I noticed since last
makeover that portions of the site have URLs similar to HREF's WebHub.
Are they using WebHub? Whatever they use, it is always fast for me.
--
Please vote for frames in Delphi 2005 Win32 packages.
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

Re: Which Web Technology?

No, it is Linux and it is not a VPS or dedicated server so it is not possible
to use standalone, DSO or ISAPI :(
"Jason Southwell" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>Most of the customers already have a domain hosting so they wants
>their new website to be compatible with their existing hosting but
>most of the time it is not possible with IW. Because, if our customers

If your server is a windows server, then why wouldn't it be compatible?
IW compiles to Standlone and DSO, which might not be compatible, but
also compiles perfectly as an ISAPI dll, which is usable on IIS and
many other windows web servers.

--
Jason Southwell
www.arcanatech.com

Delphi & IntraWeb Components
Consulting and Contracting
Incident Based Support

Re: Which Web Technology?

Of course if it is Linux then the Windows binaries would not work on that
platform. With VPS you could still configure the Apache configuration so
if you have something like Kylix, you can still compile for it. You just
cannot
use Windows binaries for it.
Edwin
"Ida" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
No, it is Linux and it is not a VPS or dedicated server so it is not possible
to use standalone, DSO or ISAPI :(

Re: Which Web Technology?

Joe,
I guess it all depends on which circle of web hosts you been with.
Those who are developers and are familiar with Windows Hosting
would probably allow you to run ISAPIs or at least Win-CGIs.
However, my experience is that there are quite a number of Linux
web hosts which offers Windows hosting and are clueless of what
can or cannot be supported. Some even go to the extend of offering
Windows + ASP and PHP and the likes. Some I tried to deal with
simply do not know what ISAPI is or how to enable the support.
Of course, in the end, I decided it was better for me to get my own
dedicated servers. It is not very costly nowadays and it definitely
give you the flexibility to do what you want.
Edwin
"Joe Hendricks" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
"Ida" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
>This is a big disadvantage!

Not at all, since most shared hosts allow ISAPIs,
which Intraweb does quite well.

JoeH

Re: Which Web Technology?

Did i said something different ?
"Edwin Lau" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Of course if it is Linux then the Windows binaries would not work on that
platform. With VPS you could still configure the Apache configuration so
if you have something like Kylix, you can still compile for it. You just
cannot
use Windows binaries for it.

Edwin

Re: Which Web Technology?

No, it is Linux and it is not a VPS or dedicated server so it is not
possible to use standalone, DSO or ISAPI :(
If it is linux, then it is possible to use IntraWeb with kylix in DSO
form.
But regardless, ASP.NET does not run under linux anyway AFAIK.
--
Jason Southwell
www.arcanatech.com
Delphi & IntraWeb Components
Consulting and Contracting
Incident Based Support

Re: Which Web Technology?

Did i said something different ?
Yes.
"Is there any way to use Intraweb on the custom hosting. I mean it
needs to be standalone or Apache DSO but both of them is not possible
to use with a standard hosting plan !!"
Yes, there is a way to do it with a standard hosting plan, on both
Windows and Linux. Since Apache is the server of choice in linux, DSO
works fine when compiled with Kylix.
--
Jason Southwell
www.arcanatech.com
Delphi & IntraWeb Components
Consulting and Contracting
Incident Based Support

Re: Which Web Technology?

"Jason Southwell" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>No, it is Linux and it is not a VPS or dedicated server so it is not
>possible to use standalone, DSO or ISAPI :(

If it is linux, then it is possible to use IntraWeb with kylix in DSO
form.

But regardless, ASP.NET does not run under linux anyway AFAIK.
It does, with Mono.
Try it: www.monoforge.com/
Tim

Re: Which Web Technology?

Try it: www.monoforge.com/
The fine print:
Monoforge accounts are free in the Beta Test Stage (now). Monoforge may
become in the future a commercial hosting service. In this case all early
subscribers (I mean you) will get a very special offer (about 5$/month) for
their feedback and confiance in us. We don't plan to start any commercial
transition before Q3 - 2005. This depends mainly on monoT releases and
performance.
The original poster talked about a commercial Website, I can imagine that
monoforge becomes an option in the future but right now it is merely a proof
of concept which I can't imagine you would run a commercial website on.
regards,
Martin

Re: Which Web Technology?

but don't you need to have an SSL access for this ? I mean for to install
the DSOs