Upgrading from Crystal Reports 9 to 10

2004-11-05 12:13:29 PM
delphi126
Has anyone gone down the path of upgrading from Crystal reports 9 to 10.
I'm interested in finding out if there are any pitfalls. Also, is it easy
to convert existing reports?
Kind Regards,
Mick.

Re:Upgrading from Crystal Reports 9 to 10

Has anyone gone down the path of upgrading from Crystal reports 9 to 10.
I'm interested in finding out if there are any pitfalls. Also, is it easy
to convert existing reports?
I don't have any real world experience, but from the few hours of testing
experience I didn't find that much changes. At least not in the RDC and VCL
programming environment. None of the changes broke existing code in my
program (but please note that my programs don't use the RDC extensively).
For the reports itself I think that Crystal always has always done a great
job in providing backwards compability. Reports made with an earlier version
are mostly running in a new version without any problem.
Gert

Re:Upgrading from Crystal Reports 9 to 10

Thanks Gert,
Version 9 is the first version we've used and I was under the impression
that the reports didn't always convert across easily (if developed in an
earlier version). This could have been a misconception on my part.
When we do move to version 10, we are going to have to get existing reports
at client sites working under the new version, hence my questions.
Kind Regards,
Mick.
"Gert de Boom" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Gert de Boom writes:
For the reports itself I think that Crystal always has always
done a great job in providing backwards compability. Reports made
with an earlier version are mostly running in a new version
without any problem.
Your experience is quite different from mine. Crystal 6 & 7 were
very painful to upgrade to. Crystal 8 took my Crystal 7 reports
decently in the designer. I just got my Crystal 10 CD's, but
haven't installed them yet. Lots of time to test required first.
-Brion

Re:Upgrading from Crystal Reports 9 to 10

This could have been a misconception on my part.
When we do move to version 10, we are going to have to get existing
reports
at client sites working under the new version, hence my questions.
As said before, I don't have any real world experience. My knowledge is
based on a couple of hours testing. But you could take a quick test yourself
by downloading the trial version of Crystal 10.
Gert

Re:Upgrading from Crystal Reports 9 to 10

Thanks Gert and Brion,
I'll bear all this in mind and exercise some caution.
Regards,
Mick.
"Brion L. Webster" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes