Interbase Server across the internet?

2007-12-04 01:10:53 AM
delphi14
I'm assuming it is possible to setup an interbase server that contains a
database or several that someone with Interbase client could connect to and
use. And I assume the limitations would be the simultaneous connections but
all else should work.
Is this a valid assumption?
If so, how would I go about setting this up? Would the server be setup any
differently? What ports on the firewall would need to be opened? Anything
special with the client setup?
Thanks!
Scott

Re:Interbase Server across the internet?

Scott Leake writes:
I'm assuming it is possible to setup an interbase server that contains a
database or several that someone with Interbase client could connect to and
use.
Yeah, it works, but don't do it. Set up a RemObjects server (or
something similar) that has the compression and security built-in. That
way you can have a secure HTTP layer in between the raw TCP/IP of IB,
and easily get through the firewalls without upsetting the administrators.
Loren

Scott Leake writes:
I'm assuming it is possible to setup an interbase server that
contains a database or several that someone with Interbase client
could connect to and use. And I assume the limitations would be the
simultaneous connections but all else should work.
I do not understand what you mean by "the limitations would be the
simultaneous connections".
You can allow users to connect across the Internet by opening port 3050
(or whatever port you are using) through your firewall, however, it is
not secure. Use a VPN or some other software that provides compression
and encryption.n
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)